What did you do to your car today?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took a brillo pad to get the bug guts off the glass  :mad:
??? wouldn't that scratch the glass ???
About scratching the glass...…..yes, steel wool can, not always, but it's possible to scratch glass.....but You can buy brass wool, although you may have to hunt around for it, and brass wool will not scratch the glass and does a great job of removing contaminants from the glass. I used to use it on my ex-bosses show cars that he showed at the Pebble Beach Concours. You haven't detailed a car until you detail for Pebble Beach, Whew!

Went out to another car show - around 90 cars, no award (no biggie, though - had a blast even though it was 95 and no shade).

Got home, parked in the driveway under the carport and went into the house for a few.  Went back out to put Frank back in the garage, hit the key and the starter did its usual chug one revolution and drug down to nothing, but didn't recover and spin normally to start... then just buzzed.  I figured it was heat soak, since it normally does this after I've driven it around awhile, so I let it sit for a few hours and cool down.  Just went back out and hit the key, and it just buzzed.  So, I think the starter's toast - I hope it's just the starter, anyway.

Fortunately, these cars aren't nearly as heavy and bloated as everybody thinks they are, so I had my wife steer into the garage while I gave it a push (we have a slightly inclined driveway, probably 2-3 degrees under the carport, but more like 6-7 at the end).  Fortunately, a quick shove and Frank's back in the garage, safe and sound.

I guess I'll swing by O'Reilly Auto Parts sometime this week and pick up a new one, then swap it out next weekend or something.

Here's the obligatory poser pics.

IMG_0368.jpg

IMG_0448.jpg

Here's a link to the flickr photo album my pal Stephen Horton took from the day.  Lots of cool cars... lots of sunburned folks, too.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/stephenhorton/albums/72157709098777792?fbclid=IwAR3tz3V5vSEQ2ps9Vg9e8YwyQ1HCmEV6-LGcwpf9HyTKNGOFvVVvWNxHReo

Love bug season down here in SW Florida. Front windshield of the F150 covered with them. Took a spray bottle and watered down the windshield then stole a couple of my wife's dryer sheets, used them on the glass and bug guts and carcasses came right off with no effort rinsed the dryer sheet film off with the spray bottle of water wiped with micro fiber towel and WALA!!! nice and clean.

Rev 1 of bending up a patch for the tail panel where the weatherstripping goes.  Almost there!  If anyone has rust in the same place and buys a Goodmark tail panel to cut a patch out of - don't bother.  The way Goodmark formed up the weatherstripping area isn't even close to what FOMOCO did.  I spent about half a day on a box brake and welding some jig to my bench to make up a decent patch that resembles OEM.

Going to try for 2.0 today and get it a little closer

Polished up another wheel and swapped out wheel well trim, in prep for my first show on July 4th.
fdabb68a8b42a3a05bd28add3f5092b0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Bit of nostalgia... same car, same location, different dates...The lower pic is the car today, June 23rd, 2019 out for a rare cruise as I continue to confirm the recent work (carb issues) actually made a difference in real world driving... The good news, she is running great, good enough to take her out for this short cruise. Even did its first mini burnout, turned side ways pretty quick, even with the trac-lok rear end. The top pic, is from August 29th, 2015, shortly after receiving the car from Spokane, WA. The only drive I had with her before I started the tear down for the rotisserie restoration. Hard to see in the pic, but she was in pretty rough running shape but held together on that day to allow me one drive before i took her apart.

I got my 71 Spring Sport Edition Mustang coupe to the audio installers and had the new radio, front speaker, and rear speakers installed.  After I bought the parts I realized it was a larger job than I was willing to take on.  I bought a RetroSound AM/FM radio along new speakers.  The parts sat in the car for 6 months and, ashamedly, I finally decided to get someone to install it for me.  The guys told me they ran into quite a few issues and it took much longer than they had estimated so I am glad someone else did it.  The good news is that my Mustang is making progress and now I can finish up the dash and console areas.  It's amazing what a little money can do to get you over the barriers stopping progress.  Nothing but open road now.  Next stop is adding decal stripping along the body.  I'll post pictures in a bit because I am getting more proud of how the car is coming along.

Nothing today or yesterday, but last weekend I did a few things.

1) Installed Correct power steering hoses and filled and bled PS system(non-start bleed.)

2) I leak tested the AC compressor, cleaned and painted it.

3) Draining compressor oil and looking for answers, waiting for condensor to come in.

kcmash

Now there's a guy that gets it!. Bolt as much stuff onto the engine as your hoist can handle. Saves a lot of time , potential damage and sore backs the less you have to spend  working over the fender.
I actually leave the fenders off until I get all the engine compartment back together. Much easier to work on and I have a two post lift so I can get to just the right height. I am 6'5" so on the wheels it kills my back.

Car is looking great. That shop looks like it has a great body jig maybe a Pontiac on it?

A beautiful and hot day here. Drove the Muscletang to work and in the mid afternoon all the sudden it turned really dark. A big storm was quickly approaching. Run out and drove the car really fast back home. It poured down a minute after I was in the garage. Barely missed it. Definitely didn't want the Mustang to soak.

Took a trip to the plating shop.  Dropped off the Hurst shifter handle and both twist lock tops for re-chrome.

$100 for all 3.  I thought that was a hell of a deal!

Kcmash

I got my 71 Spring Sport Edition Mustang coupe to the audio installers and had the new radio, front speaker, and rear speakers installed.  After I bought the parts I realized it was a larger job than I was willing to take on.  I bought a RetroSound AM/FM radio along new speakers.  The parts sat in the car for 6 months and, ashamedly, I finally decided to get someone to install it for me.  The guys told me they ran into quite a few issues and it took much longer than they had estimated so I am glad someone else did it.  The good news is that my Mustang is making progress and now I can finish up the dash and console areas.  It's amazing what a little money can do to get you over the barriers stopping progress.  Nothing but open road now.  Next stop is adding decal stripping along the body.  I'll post pictures in a bit because I am getting more proud of how the car is coming along.
Here are some of the photos for the radio installation.  I like how it looks and I like how it sounds.

https://ibb.co/h1GfVFr
20190628-184516.jpg
[/URL]

https://freeonlinedice.com/flipa coin

I got up early and left for Charlotte to go to the MOM, Mustang Owner's Museum, for show and check on the Mach 1. I left at 6:00 am this morning, too early. The car ran fine for the over 100 mile trip down and 100 back. No heating issues ran some areas 70 mph and some stop and go. It was in the 90's on the way back temp gage did not move climbing back up the mountains. Burned a little over 16 gallons of the 90 octane no ethanol fuel with the Lucas gas additive. That stuff is $3.60 a gallon here.

I did have one issue. About a mile before the exit to the Charlotte Speedway car developed a big shake. I slowed down and when I got off interstate pulled in burger joint parking lot. The steel belts had broken on the right front and were sticking out. I eased on the last three miles to the MOM and got out and watched it go flat.

The spare in the car is an original never used that luckily I took out and put another in.

I ask at the MOM about tire store and when I got through giving the Mach 1 a dusting and applying polish to the vinyl roof I went to find one. There was no tires the size needed anywhere. They do not keep at the store has to be ordered. So I got back on I-85 and ran 55 mph most of the way back and made it home. I think that is first flat I have had in probably 35 years. Do not know how old the tires were they came off the crashed vert I bought and are Kelly Springfield brand made in South Africa, lol. I was planning on polishing another set of the 73 slots and get new tires anyway so this moves that along.

Got some prospects of buyers for some of my other cars while there.

Couple pics of some new car they brought in. Also the nice 72 351 CJ air cleaner a member sold me came this past week.

Now to go find a different tire to put on the vert. Does look odd with one aluminum wheel and three spott wheel covers. Just noticed I did not even take a pic of the vert at the MOM today.

There was a 72 coupe also showed up. I think they will be doing an all Ford show at the MOM the last Saturday of each month.

Also a couple pictures of the fan cooled transmission cooler I installed to take some more heat out of the radiator. I made the two brackets and use Ford fender nuts and bolts and used existing holes and fasteners to install. No new holes had to be added. It does work great when I got home I opened hood and the return line is barely warm and incoming is hot.

I did have to make up new metal lines from the transmission to the radiator support and then rubber hose to the cooler to absorb any vibration. Only one 90 deg. bend to get out the front of the transmission and only slight bend near shock tower.

They still have the bad side of my car toward the isle but still up front third car in the door.

I

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. The PS went on pretty well after a couple of test fittings. The DS I'm still not happy with so I'll probably tweak it when I get some help. I believe it was a bit messed up from a previous incident, based on some damage I found when I took it apart. Had extra shims too. I guess I'll see if I need them when I get the hood on.

Back