What did you do to your car today?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Removed the dash and heater box.  Broke the drain spout off the box.  Repaired the broken spout with fiberglass.  Replaced the heater core. Reassembled the box.  Re-installed the heater/AC box.

Also.  Bought and distributed 10 bags of wet mulch. Planted 3 plants for the wife. Picked up son from School/Tennis, Took daughter to Volleyball practice.

kcmash
I hope you pressure tested the new heater core before you installed. I have found two bad ones right out of the box. One was NOS made in U.S.A..
I did NOT pressure test it.  I was disappointed that the one I took out of the car had leaked, but I did learn something.  I read that the old brass and solder design that came with our cars will suffer galvanic corrosion if siting dry and not being protected by the anti-freeze mixture.  

I bought my replacement as another brass/solder unit from Rock Auto.  I immediately loaded the system with an antifreeze mixture.

How do you do a pressure test on an open unit?

kcmash
Seal both ends and pump air into it while it is submersed in a bucket of water. Bubbles = bad.

Took her out for a spin...

I excitedly decided to I stall the Concourse correct power steering hose that came from NPD.  Open the package to find one of the foam I insulators torn, smashed my thumb loosening the old one, put the new one I  and fastened to the gear box then discovered that the pump side of the hose is all wrong and hits the exhaust manifold. 

When every single reproduction part is wrong it's a wonder if I will ever be driving this thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
The pressure hose does not connect directly to the pump. There's an "S" shaped outlet adapter tube that's installed between the hose and pump. See these threads:

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-correct-351c-power-steering-hoses?

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-power-steering-hose-pain?
OK Don, you win!

Can you PM me a quote for an S tube Connector and some of that insulator foam.  It looks like my original hose is the one thing I finally threw out.

kcmash
Wrong Don, you need OMS Don :)

Sorry for hijacking this thread but where can one find that foam insulator hose? Thanks!
National Parts Depot for the hose I bought with the insulator.

The pressure hose does not connect directly to the pump. There's an "S" shaped outlet adapter tube that's installed between the hose and pump. See these threads:

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-correct-351c-power-steering-hoses?

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-power-steering-hose-pain?
OK Don, you win!

Can you PM me a quote for an S tube Connector and some of that insulator foam.  It looks like my original hose is the one thing I finally threw out.

kcmash
Wrong Don, you need OMS Don :)
I thought about that immediately after posting.  I need a beer....

kcmash

Now that the drivers side is good I cut apart the passenger side and started fitting parts.

Trunk drop fit is excellent.

I need to cut the wheelhouse tacks and shorten it up a tiny bit.  Always easier to cut away than it is to add.

Goodmark Canadian patch panel must have been built on the Molson Ice shift, not nearly as good as the drivers side one I had.  Beat on it for a while and decided to roll the dice and order up a new panel just to see if it is any better.  I can use the one I have, but if the new one is better I'll start working on it.

Did some tuning and took it out for first spin of the season. Have a few things that need attention (wheel bearing among a few other small items) but overall it was a nice drive.

I took my SPA-T Variable Ratio steering gearbox over to Lee Manufacturing to have it completely re-built. Many years ago, the gearbox was leaking and a friend had a '72 convertible parts car that he said I could have the steering gearbox out of, so, I swapped out my original leaking box for a used non-leaking standard ratio box. Eventually, time rendered the second box a leaker as well, so, today, I took my original V/R box to Lee, while I continue to still drive the car everyday. When I come to think about it,...…..the car was well used when I got it, the current box is used up as well.....I'm sure once I get my original variable box back in and going I expect to be really happy with how it steers again without leaks and with a tighter ratio than I've been used to with the second box.

Now there's a guy that gets it!. Bolt as much stuff onto the engine as your hoist can handle. Saves a lot of time , potential damage and sore backs the less you have to spend working over the fender.

Back