What did you do to your car today?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Engine bay wiring completed and tested for correct connection. Just a bit to tidy and wrap.

Front lights, horn, washer bottle, etc harness finished.I placed another relay at the horns to take some load off inside the car. Front headlights have been converted to sealed beam. I also made up short harnesses for the front light sets with just a short plug from the main light harness. This way I won't have wires hanging while final assembly and painting is done.

I got mine started on Friday for the first time since the rebuild...getting excited...but lots of work still to do.

also, I've created this graphic in my downtime, just thought it looked kind of cool.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not actually on the car but for the painting of it.

Working on getting the garage portion of it done today. Also pla to set up hooks to hang body panels (for painting before installing). Final color and clear will be done assembled.

Can you explain what exactly that is? I’ve never seen anything like that for painting or anything else for that matter.
A poor man's cooling unit. I run straight from the pump into 3/4" copper (30' with drains at the bottom). The first 5' run gets hot but by the end of it the air is cooled and then goes into the tank. It helps keep water out of the tank and makes it easier on the separators. I just finished up the garage portion. I plan to replace the ballcock valve going to garage to be bigger one (in the basement).

I had a blast at the Joe's Bar & Grill Car Show yesterday - Frank even pulled a "Top 50" award (out of almost 90 cars).  My camera battery died about 2/3 of the way through getting pics of all the cars, but my pal Stephen Horton came through with his awesome pics.  Here's a link to his Flickr Photo Album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/stephenhorton/albums/72157711412237693?fbclid=IwAR2JmTqZfH2TQZw-Ciq1tEmNC-0V6y-T06gcXJaIoy-IL0qiNlvqLPrw8Tg

48925958356_cd13a9432c_o.jpg

48925958316_dfa7ac2def_o.jpg

My view for the day:

IMG_0601.jpg

IMG_0603.jpg
Congrats.

My son was in San Angelo for a short time while in the Air Force.

Can you explain what exactly that is? I’ve never seen anything like that for painting or anything else for that matter.
A poor man's cooling unit. I run straight from the pump into 3/4" copper (30' with drains at the bottom). The first 5' run gets hot but by the end of it the air is cooled and then goes into the tank. It helps keep water out of the tank and makes it easier on the separators. I just finished up the garage portion. I plan to replace the ballcock valve going to garage to be bigger one (in the basement).

Gotcha. That’s a good idea.

Removed rivets and filled holes from protection group.

I have also accepted that I need to strip some of these parts again. 23 yrs with just primer worked ok on some parts (body, one door and hood) but not so well on others.

Double Whammy Car Show post (since I forgot to post up the one from last weekend).

2 Nov - Toys 4 Tots at Twin Peaks Restaurant.  Great turn-out, but the show was behind the restaurant, so we didn't have a lot of visitor traffic.  Still had a great time on a nice day and pulled a Top 40 award.

IMG_0669-1-1024x768.jpg

IMG_0705-1-1024x768.jpg

IMG_0707-1-1024x768.jpg

49003023163_2cbbee93bd_o-1.jpg

49003770612_224b71b299_o-1.jpg

Today was the Elks Lodge Veteran's Day Car Show @ Car Town Hyundai.   I had a blast hangin' out with all the cool car guys and their cool cars on such nice day!  Frank even pulled a Top 40 Award as well!  Thanks to Stephen Horton for all the cool pics (I was BSing with my pals and forgot to walk around for pics).  Here's a link to his Flickr album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/stephenhorton/albums/72157711713858528/page1

49039435028_ae0ecd652b_o.jpg

49039941401_3bd59b74bb_o-1.jpg

49040154052_1f6396ab41_o-1.jpg

49040154102_64af89e256_o-1.jpg

Gotcha. That’s a good idea.
I use to have a coil of copper tubing that went into a 5 gallon bucket that we put water and ice in to chill the air and take the water out. It had a bleeder valve in the water trap at the bottom to let it bleed all the time just a few bubbles. It worked great. When you do not have money and you live in a humid place you for sure have to come up with a solution. 

Great idea the radiator on the wall.

So today was the last car show of the season for me today at Fuzzy's Tacos. Awesome day, cool car guys to hang out with, great breakfast tacos, and got an award, but forgot my camera... so, all I got are 2 cell phone pics.

Mach120191123-2.jpg

Mach120191123-1-1.jpg

More garage work. Insulated my doors. Now onto wiring and walls. Going to be converting to high lift on Monday ot Tues. Advantage double wide lift should be at freight terminal on Wed.

What is a double wide lift??

If you are putting in a 2 post or 4 post lift drilling the holes in the floor is the most difficult thing you have to do. I rented a good rotary masonry drill and bit and was done in less than 30 min. Mine were 3/4" bolts I think 6 per post. I suggest that you vacuum out all the dust you can and when you put the bolts in pour epoxy around them. I put mine and and torqued per instructions. I noticed after just a little use they were all loose. I checked the other day and all good now. I use the lift when I am just wiping the car down saves the back. 

When I did my wiring I thought I had enough outlets. I found out that when I got all the stereo stuff in place I had to add a couple more outlets there.

What is a double wide lift??

If you are putting in a 2 post or 4 post lift drilling the holes in the floor is the most difficult thing you have to do. I rented a good rotary masonry drill and bit and was done in less than 30 min. Mine were 3/4" bolts I think 6 per post. I suggest that you vacuum out all the dust you can and when you put the bolts in pour epoxy around them. I put mine and and torqued per instructions. I noticed after just a little use they were all loose. I checked the other day and all good now. I use the lift when I am just wiping the car down saves the back. 

When I did my wiring I thought I had enough outlets. I found out that when I got all the stereo stuff in place I had to add a couple more outlets there.
Link to what I bought. https://www.advantagelifts.com/products/advantage-sxs-10-000 

It doesn't need to be bolted to floor. It even comes with casters to allow it to be moved. I have done that before though for gunsafes.

Lots done since the last update.

She now sits on the wheels, its gone off for the exhaust.

Interior is all bolted in, just door panels left..

Scored a deal (I hope) on a console. Needs work. Seller said it was half assed attempt to paint blue....and he was right. Has the clock but no ashtray. I have seen worse. Paint is seriously pulled away around shifter hole. For $40 it seemed reasonable. No real damage. Plastic slider tracks for ashtray cover are cracked but still moves fine.
2dde2ebd8312100311eafb48f0a54eff.jpg
3afc5e47c97167b4c139125aa6cf1f28.jpg
c5726096341c8151db9c6c2ec3989715.jpg
69874bb7834ce292ad1670f47ee23084.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Half assed paint job for sure but $40 is a steal, especially with a clock. I've had good luck with dawn dish soap and a green scotch brite pad in cleaning them up and removing the paint without damaging the plastic. Takes some work though. The lid might be a different story though. They do make a repop lid that is good quality and fit but only in black, not sure what color you are going for.

Well today I took the new UN Waterproof cover off the car, leathered down the paintwork trying to dry the car in between rain showers, sat in the car, started it up and dreamed of Summer,

I hate English Winters, cold damp and wet.

I purchased the Max Tech car cover believing it to be fully waterproof......Well it Aint!

Water resistant, yes, Rainproof, Stormproof NO!

Adverts are misleading.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well today I took the new UN Waterproof cover off the car, leathered down the paintwork trying to dry the car in between rain showers, sat in the car, started it up and dreamed of Summer, 

I hate English Winters, cold damp and wet.

I purchased the Max Tech car cover believing it to be fully waterproof......Well  it Aint!

Water resistant, yes,  Rainproof, Stormproof  NO!

Adverts are misleading.
I don't know about your specific cover, but I know that for my boat cover I had to seal the seams so water doesn't go through (see picture with droplets along the seams and the rest dry). I contacted the cover manufacturer and that was their suggestion. The process is easy. Just get a bottle of seam sealer and then you spray the seams.

https://www.amazon.com/Iosso-Products-Seam-Sealer-Oz/dp/B002AQX63A

Back