What did you do to your car today?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like it!!  What was the console out of?  Thanks for sharing.
it is an aftermarket one, offered by several of our vendors.  I bought this off of https://www.cupholdersplus.com/1971-1973-ford-mustang-humphugger-console.html because their picture showed a storage opening in it.  But when it arrived it was solid up top, I asked and after they checked with "the factory" that the picture was for a pre '71 Mustang.   So they, like most who sell this, are the middleman for the console factory (North FL I think).   When I purchased it was $280 and I ended up getting $40 back because I was not happy with them showing a picture of what I thought I was getting.  Obviously they do not feel the need to change the picture to show what we, as '71-73 owners are really getting.

Preliminary fit of trunk lid and doors. Been off the car for 25 yrs. Guy in the neighborhood owns a body shop. He is going to help me get it painted at my house for a relatively small fee. He has a 69 camaro so he understands old cars. I ordered a 25 cfm @ 90 psi compressor to help speed things along. I lost one of my hood hinges (more like misplaced) so I am going g to need to strip another one that I have. Hinges are black but are the springs black or unpainted? If all goes well I hope to have it painted this fall.

20200905_133421.jpg

20200905_133433.jpg

Tried turning stop to stop, blew my high pressure PS hose and caught the car on fire.

Not what I planned.

kcmash

Lordy, get the fire out in time? Hope it turned out OK?  I was thinking of re-using my old P.S hoses? NOT NOW.

Thx for the heads up!

it is an aftermarket one, offered by several of our vendors.  I bought this off of https://www.cupholdersplus.com/1971-1973-ford-mustang-humphugger-console.html because their picture showed a storage opening in it.  But when it arrived it was solid up top, I asked and after they checked with "the factory" that the picture was for a pre '71 Mustang.   So they, like most who sell this, are the middleman for the console factory (North FL I think).   When I purchased it was $280 and I ended up getting $40 back because I was not happy with them showing a picture of what I thought I was getting.  Obviously they do not feel the need to change the picture to show what we, as '71-73 owners are really getting.
So the real question is, would the 1970 model you thought you were going to get fit a 71-73? Or could it easily be made to? I wonder what's really different about it. They don't give the length, width, height on the 71-73 model to compare. 

Lordy, get the fire out in time? Hope it turned out OK?  I was thinking of re-using my old P.S hoses? NOT NOW.

Thx for the heads up!
I started a new thread on this.  We need to understand what went wrong with mine so others don't have this problem.  I don't understand why using original components i am getting a failure like this.

kcmash

Could only find one hinge from 25 yrs ago so I stripped and painted two that I bought recently to get the square spring wire springs. I applied another coat of a flatter black to have them match my engine bay better.

20200906_122049.jpg

Tried turning stop to stop, blew my high pressure PS hose and caught the car on fire.

Not what I planned.

kcmash
As a kid, I offered to help my older Brother's friend fix his leaking PS hose on his '56 T-Bird. Not knowing that the PS hose is a special hose, i replaced it with a length of gas hose. As soon as he started the engine and turned the wheel, the hose burst, sending lots of hydraulic fluid all over my parent's new , recently asphalted driveway. Nothing caught fire, however my rear was burning when my Dad put his boot up my arse. I learned two lessons that day.....always use the correct hose when working on power steering systems, and, don't oil down your parents property.

So the real question is, would the 1970 model you thought you were going to get fit a 71-73? Or could it easily be made to? I wonder what's really different about it. They don't give the length, width, height on the 71-73 model to compare. 
when I received the console and saw it was not what I expected I contacted the seller.  She then said she would contact the maker to see if an earlier one, like the one in the picture with the open storage area would fit a 71-73, factory said no.  That is why I chose to keep this one and live without that open storage area and take the $40 refund from her.  I thought about opening that area but when it comes down to it there would not be that much storage so why to all the trouble to so.

Well today I got my new power steering hose in.  So I crawled around and got that installed.

While under the car I decided to check the tranny gear oil level.  So I deserve aging idiot award.  Apparently I never did put gear oil in after rebuilding.  So I did discover why my tranny whined.  I guess we will see if I rebuild this winter.

Well today I got my new power steering hose in.  So I crawled around and got that installed.

While under the car I decided to check the tranny gear oil level.  So I deserve aging idiot award.  Apparently I never did put gear oil in after rebuilding.  So I did discover why my tranny whined.  I guess we will see if I rebuild this winter.
Oh No!

AHHHH........... man that stinks. Dont forget the stinky ford additive.  :thumb:

I replaced my PS hoses from the top. Seemed to be the best way. Did I do it the non-conventional way? 

Maybe 200 miles on it.  It was still running and shifting last outing.

i am getting real tired of this power steering crap.  I can’t seem to get the damn thing bled and working for anything.

kcmash

Back