What did you do to your car today?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally drove my 73 after many many many years!!  Brought it to painter where i've removed more stuffs (door handles, locks etc..). I've painted the car from the inside out and prepped it fine wet sanded to 2500. As I've never drove it with the snipper, renewed engine, rear end, brakes etc... I was kinda nervous something would happen (read very very nervous as I'm also not allowed to drive it before it has passed the tech control).

Oh boy that was so good! with the 4 windows down (roof rails are ofc out and glass not guided), the sound going thru the 2.5 stainless exhaust free flow.. still shaking :D

Only thing I know I must change asap is adding another linkage to the sniper, way too hard to dose, it would cost me new tires every months otherwise!

As I did all the work, only masking and spraying is necessary, it should be ready by the end of the week. Woohooo! :D

atthepaintshop.jpg

Took a little sunset cruise last night and stopped for a few pics.

DSC_0675.JPG

DSC_0671.JPG

DSC_0674.JPG

Finished my bumper and spoiler today.  When I got my Mustang the front bumper had the usual chips, cracked paint, etc.  I purchased a bumper kit, front and back and was going to go with the chrome front bumper.........until I saw those icky gray rubbery filler pieces needed for the chrome bumper to work.  Sooooooooooo, and keep in mind I am not good with paint and such, I did my best to fix my bumper.  The chips were not bad, just lots of them and very mild spider cracks in the paint.  I sanded it alll down and used PC7, which I had on hand to fill in the chips.  Sanded, sanded, primed with SEM flexible primer, 4 coats and then rattle can the correct 4Q paint 4 coats also.  3 coats of clear, wet sand and polish.  Not perfect by any means but a whole lot better then what it was and better then the chrome, I think, with those rubbery fillers.  Only time will tell.   I also painted and installed a new front spoiler.   No more rattle can paint for me, ordered a pint of the 4Q and will get a spray gun for future small projects.  Only could take pictures in the garage for now.

finbum6.jpg

finbum5.jpg

finbum8.jpg

finbum7.jpg

finbum4.jpg

finbum3.jpg

finbum2.jpg

finbum1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Finished my bumper and spoiler today.  When I got my Mustang the front bumper had the usual chips, cracked paint, etc.  I purchased a bumper kit, front and back and was going to go with the chrome front bumper.........until I saw those icky gray rubbery filler pieces needed for the chrome bumper to work.  Sooooooooooo, and keep in mind I am not good with paint and such, I did my best to fix my bumper.  The chips were not bad, just lots of them a
Looks good to me.  From your pics can't tell any difference in color.  I  need to get my bumper redone.  Paint cracks along the back top side.  Will try the SEM flex primer.

Last edited by a moderator:
omg....I have no business painting cars. Gonna have to learn but can anyone say "rework"? Runs galore.

20201004_182659.jpg

20201004_182649.jpg

20201004_182637.jpg

Made up a bracket to mount an MSD coil and a terminal block in place of the starter solenoid.   Slowly putting the wiring back in the car and tweaking it to my build.  One of these days I will be able to start the car by turning a key in the ignition switch.

I was also trying to improve fit on drivers door on the Q vert build yesterday. I am going to have to pull door and hammer the hinge mount area looks like. Might have to split the quarter panel and pull top corner forward. Going to do some measuring from side to side. PO did sorry job putting quarter panel patch on. I do not really have time or money to pull off and start over. 

I made up an engine wiring harness, started out with an alloy metal products engine harness and commenced butchery to support my added gauges, relocated coil and electric choke.  

Tapped the side of an oil pressure switch riser to 1/8”NPT (so I could screw in 2 devices).  Got it mounted with a new pressure switch for the idiot light and a sender for my Westach oil pressure gauge.

Next I pulled apart the steering column and cleaned all the old grease out of it.  Took the upper parts of the column and prepped them for paint.

Last thing was a test fit of my old fan shroud.  It was a success so I bought a repop one.  I won’t feel bad putting rivets in a repop one...

A8B4B771-64FE-4D14-8A61-ADD5D1364CC6.jpeg

After installing the new Eaton Detroit Springs Boss 351 rear leaf springs last Monday in my 71 Mach1, then today installing the Fan Shroud I just picked up a couple days ago, I took the car out for a test drive on a beautiful sunny, but not so warm, day. I took a bunch of new pictures and will post some in my Garage on the forum. Now I just need to re-torque the U bolt nuts and double check everything. Another job done before it goes to bed for the winter.

See my related posts.

After declaring my engine bay finished  (see separate thread) I took my car for a  shakedown drive, first time in 5 months, just 25 miles.  I was concerned after repairing the radiator, putting in new PS pump, alt, belts, this and that how it would run but she ran fine.  I was a bit concerned when I checked a couple of times and then when I got home that NOTHING was leaking.  I always thought with old cars if it is not leaking it must be empty but all my fluids check out ok.

I hate standing at blast cabinet. If you get you some molasses at feed store cost about $20.00 for 5 gallons mix 9 parts water and gets you 50 gallons. If you clean the oil off any ferrous metal and put in it will remove all the rust. Takes a couple weeks on something like a manifold but you do nothing but hang it up. I keep something in the tank all the time. I have a 275 gallon tank. 

Started my freshly rebuilt 351 Cleveland 2V on an engine run stand to break the cam in today. Started first turn over and never stalled. Ran it at about 2500 RPMs for 30 minutes, temp gauge was right around 180ish, Oil Pressure started around 80 and dropped down to about 70 when it got warmed up.  Next up is to dial in the timing and carb for best performance.  Here is a short 1 minute video I posted to YouTube earlier.

Tom

https://youtu.be/C-2toibQvPM

Start ups can make you smile all day long. Or Frown all day long. Glad you got to smile!

Back