What did you do to your car today?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The calipers are on the correct side when the bleeder points to the *rear* of the car. If it points straight up, you'll never get the air out and have to switch sides. Here's a graphic I made to help people visualize the issue. IMO, yours appear to be correct. 

CALIPERORIENTATION.jpg

The same filler is used regardless of console type. The 429 Megasite has a drawing to make your own, about 3/4 down the page. 

http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/components_2.htm

The calipers are on the correct side when the bleeder points to the *rear* of the car. If it points straight up, you'll never get the air out and have to switch sides. Here's a graphic I made to help people visualize the issue. IMO, yours appear to be correct. 

View attachment 53711

The same filler is used regardless of console type. The 429 Megasite has a drawing to make your own, about 3/4 down the page. 

http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/components_2.htm
Looks like I am good to go then.  Thanks.

That's a relief!

The boy and I tore into the rear suspension today! Here’s the look we are going for with my +2 springs from Eaton! 😂😂F5DE7E6E-ED85-44D5-9D37-A428E7F4FBA8.jpeg

Well, maybe not quite that wild….See my build thread for the details. 😀

I got my instrument cluster back together.  Installed a new headlight switch and reinstalled the seats.

20210806_142625.jpg

I always wished I had the factory leather wheel option, but since I don't, I did the next best thing and wrapped my steering wheel in leather.

Still working on the center console.

Yesterday was pancake day.  I rebuilt my recently acquired motor and after much struggle and cursing got it installed late last night. Now I have 4 working windows,  just need to find a couple of wiring or switch gremlins and lube the RR guides.

Also got my speaker grills in yesterday,  starting cutting the panels. I'll paint and install today. 

Cleaned and rebuilt the Motorcraft 2100 2 barrel carby

20210808_115620 (Large).jpg

20210808_122831 (Large).jpg

Replace the factory single system with a twin system and added some Australian Falcon XA/XB GT chrome tips.

20210808_174838 (Large).jpg

Greased the upper A arms and stopped them squeaking.

Then went for a spin, tuned into the sounds of Cleveland Radio on the 351 band in stereo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, what a day.  This morning I finished up a few odds and ends on the Mach 1; filled the power steering pump, installed spark plugs, and a final brake bleed all four corners.  I installed a couple of temporary exhaust turn downs on the mufflers as I will need a muffler shop to install the tail pipes.  Some adjustment will be necessary to get the chrome tips to properly line up with the rear valence cutouts.

20210809_154810.jpg

Next I pushed my old girl out of the shop in preparation for the first engine start in almost 30 years.  I truly did not know what to expect.  I have done a bunch of work on the car over the past months.  So many changes all at once including a transmission swap means there are so many things that could go wrong.

After dumping 5 gallons of non-ethanol premium in the tank, I disconnected the coil and cranked the engine to prime the fuel bowls and circulate the oil.  I re-connected the coil and pulled a plug wire to confirm I had spark.  You never know after installing a new engine wiring harness, new distributor, new plug wires and a new coil, but good news… I had spark.

Well, time for the moment of truth.

With a remote starter switch hooked up to the solenoid and a fire extinguisher close at hand I pushed the button…

Bam! She fired right up on the first crank without a stumble or a missed beat.  I’m not sure the crankshaft even made a full rotation before firing off!  Idle was a little high, but otherwise smooth as silk.

The first video below was taken 30 seconds after firing off. I looked for leaks and walked around the back to smell/listen to the exhaust and shot the video.

Unbelievable.  The car started and ran as if she had been my daily driver.  I quite literally had tears in my eyes.  Here she was…my first car…alive again after all these years!!

Back to the front of the car…a little fiddling with the idle screw… watching for leaks/smoke…I let her warm up and goosed the throttle a couple times.  Electric choke needed no adjustment and the now warm engine settled down to a smooth idle of around 1000 rpm (tach works!).

I shot the next video. 

As you can see/hear, she’s clearly running smoothly on all eight.

After a quick adjustment of the timing and adjusting the idle to around 750 rpm I shut her down and just stood there smiling and laughing…

Well…WTF…I don’t need no stinkin’ registration or insurance…I installed the air cleaner, grabbed my wallet and jumped it.  She fired right up again and I drove into town 15 miles round trip and topped off the tank.

Clutch worked smoothly, transmission shifted like butter, no noise from the new Eaton rear end, power brakes worked, power steering made no noise, hell, even the “eyeball” front end alignment wasn’t bad!

I am so happy I am giddy.  I have been sitting staring at the old girl all afternoon re-living my youth.

Life is good indeed!

View attachment Attach23329_20210809_095609.mp4

View attachment Attach23331_20210809_095625.mp4

Happy registration day today. After owning the car for about 4 months, I have spent a fair bit of time servicing, fixing and tuning the car getting is ready for a roadworthy check and then finally registration. Today the whole process is complete. The car now has plates and is ready to cruise..

20210811_155417 (Large).jpg

Great news Brendan. Now have fun.

David

I got the rear exhaust tips installed and lined up with the cutouts.  The guy that did the modification/install is an artist.   Tips are perfectly centered and the gap is equidistant all the way around the tips; side to side and top.

A couple pics, here's how much tubing he had to add to the "bolt-in" Precision Exhaust tailpipes.

20210811_094437.jpg

The finished product:

20210812_112910.jpg

I'll shoot another video with sound in the next day or two.

I did this a few weeks ago, but I thought I'd get up to date. I ground the rust and gunk off the underbody and put POR-15 on everything. It looks about 100% better under there. I need to put a coat of the rubber undercoating over the POR-15 now that it's dry, and then it's time to repair the rust holes in the body, then I finally get to start putting it all back together again! I just need the time, which has been hard to find lately.

IMG_0773.JPG

IMG_0774.JPG

IMG_0775.JPG

I've put a Fitech Fuel Injection System on my 72 Mach 1.

I would advise anyone considering fuel injection not consider fitech. I've had nothing but trouble with mine.

I've put a Fitech Fuel Injection System on my 72 Mach 1.

I would advise anyone considering fuel injection not consider fitech. I've had nothing but trouble with mine.
I have a Fitech system and I am 90% happy with it. I hear horror stories from the Holley Sniper camp as well. This are my thoughts. Don't purchase either of these systems if you believe they will be truly bolt-on. If you are going after maximum tuning flexibility and high end use, go with a higher end system, but you will need to open your wallet a lot more.

Tony, I have heard the same thing from several friends. A couple gave up and went back to a carb. Chuck

Wow, what a day.  This morning I finished up a few odds and ends on the Mach 1; filled the power steering pump, installed spark plugs, and a final brake bleed all four corners.  I installed a couple of temporary exhaust turn downs on the mufflers as I will need a muffler shop to install the tail pipes.  Some adjustment will be necessary to get the chrome tips to properly line up with the rear valence cutouts.

View attachment 53929

Next I pushed my old girl out of the shop in preparation for the first engine start in almost 30 years.  I truly did not know what to expect.  I have done a bunch of work on the car over the past months.  So many changes all at once including a transmission swap means there are so many things that could go wrong.

After dumping 5 gallons of non-ethanol premium in the tank, I disconnected the coil and cranked the engine to prime the fuel bowls and circulate the oil.  I re-connected the coil and pulled a plug wire to confirm I had spark.  You never know after installing a new engine wiring harness, new distributor, new plug wires and a new coil, but good news… I had spark.

Well, time for the moment of truth.

With a remote starter switch hooked up to the solenoid and a fire extinguisher close at hand I pushed the button…

Bam! She fired right up on the first crank without a stumble or a missed beat.  I’m not sure the crankshaft even made a full rotation before firing off!  Idle was a little high, but otherwise smooth as silk.

The first video below was taken 30 seconds after firing off. I looked for leaks and walked around the back to smell/listen to the exhaust and shot the video.

Unbelievable.  The car started and ran as if she had been my daily driver.  I quite literally had tears in my eyes.  Here she was…my first car…alive again after all these years!!

Back to the front of the car…a little fiddling with the idle screw… watching for leaks/smoke…I let her warm up and goosed the throttle a couple times.  Electric choke needed no adjustment and the now warm engine settled down to a smooth idle of around 1000 rpm (tach works!).

I shot the next video. 

As you can see/hear, she’s clearly running smoothly on all eight.

After a quick adjustment of the timing and adjusting the idle to around 750 rpm I shut her down and just stood there smiling and laughing…

Well…WTF…I don’t need no stinkin’ registration or insurance…I installed the air cleaner, grabbed my wallet and jumped it.  She fired right up again and I drove into town 15 miles round trip and topped off the tank.

Clutch worked smoothly, transmission shifted like butter, no noise from the new Eaton rear end, power brakes worked, power steering made no noise, hell, even the “eyeball” front end alignment wasn’t bad!

I am so happy I am giddy.  I have been sitting staring at the old girl all afternoon re-living my youth.

Life is good indeed!

View attachment 53931

View attachment 53932
That is great. When you watch what you are doing and do it right it will come out right. Dr's. are only ones that bury their mistakes.

There is an exception to docs.

Body men bury there mistakes. Some bury worse mistakes than others.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just getting the car ready for Power Tour. Mechanically it's as good as it's gonna get. Brakes are bled and it's stopping good, gas gauge is working, I want to re-wire the tach and get a couple of power ports working. Beside that it's just clean it up, pack some tools and gear then pick up my dad and hit the road. 

Just getting the car ready for Power Tour. Mechanically it's as good as it's gonna get. Brakes are bled and it's stopping good, gas gauge is working, I want to re-wire the tach and get a couple of power ports working. Beside that it's just clean it up, pack some tools and gear then pick up my dad and hit the road. 
Looking forward to meeting you in the HRPT. My car is ready as well. I am bringing a trunk full of tools and parts so there will be a lot of help if needed.

Steering wheel repair.

20210817_210250 (Large).jpg

20210818_164910 (Large).jpg

The repair is not 100% perfect.. But good enough for a unrestored driver car.

Dash pad was black as it had been replaced at some point.

20210606_152703 (Large).jpg

I removed it and painted it.

20210818_164923 (Large).jpg

Pulled the dash out and then the heater box so that I can clean everything and replace the heater core. I have new switches and a harness that was repaired by Midlife going back in. So close to getting this car on the road, the suspense is killing me! Another good thing is that my cowl was in great shape when I pulled the heater box out. Made me smile a little. 

Tom

Back