What did you do to your car today?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't been on here in a very long time, so hello again lol. Last year I started painting my car, wasn't happy with it and decided to give it another shot. I worked on the car for the first time this year, it was a nice 55ºF day so I decided to prep it for the respray. DA'd the whole car and masked it off today.. hoping for another nice day tommorow to spray it and finally be done with the paint.

166748_10151568552906995_1318739_n.jpg

23867_10151568553101995_970121228_n.jpg

Nice dusty engine shot

540828_10151568553431995_1184360813_n.jpg

little apeture for you lol

479824_10151568553611995_1550986772_n.jpg

and ready to roll:

483664_10151568552791995_1884413456_n.jpg

Hey downwardspiral how's it been going? I still cant get over your EFI set up, can't wait to see your car painted.
Hey, I've been good.. just busy with work and life. Just ordered a vortech kit for my 2011, so I'm looking forward to that lol. Thanks for the kind words. If it's as nice as its supposed to be tommorow I should have some pictures of it painted tommorow night :D

If it's as nice as its supposed to be tommorow I should have some pictures of it painted tommorow night :D
Yep.. screwed it up again lol. this time not as bad. I mixed the primer wrong, the first time I mixed it I reduced it based on the label. It was spitting out balls of thick primer instead of a normal spray. Me being the noob I am at painting decided "it will get better as I go :rolleyes:". Started on the roof, and it came out horrendous. At this point I knew I would be sanding it down anyway and just continued to glob primer all over the car just to get full coverage in areas where I sanded it down to the metal. I figured I only had a little bit left in the can and I would experiment with the mixing of the reducer. I thinned it until it stirred like water and tried it again. It sprayed like it was supposed to and dried like it was supposed to. Now I just need to sand it AGAIN and get some more primer for a sealer coat.. then I'll be on my way to screwing up the paint :cool:

No pictures, but I was able to get the ducting and wiring for the Classic Auto Air system finished up, and popped the dashboard back in. I still need to finish up some of the wiring and tear into the steering column tilt mechanism - hopefully, this Friday I'll finish that up.

Since my pal Jim and I are pretty much running the Auto Hobby Shop now (as a volunteer - the employee got himself fired for stealing from Uncle), it doesn't leave a lot of Mustang or Galaxie time, since it's so busy on the weekends.

Went to the shop and did some banging on my girl 73 Izzy. Found some bondo to remove. Ya! Lots of fun.

image.jpg

I pulled my idiot light gauge cluster from my 72 dash and mailed it off to Bob at Rocketman's Classic Cougar Innovations so he can modify it to have a modern tachometer.

-KR

I bought my house! Previous owner had built a bedroom in the garage so last week, while waiting for everything to close, and become official the wife, my friend and I spent 3 days tearing up the wall to the bedroom and the ridiculously overbuilt shelf system he had installed in the "garage."

Got it all tore down, garage cleaned up and ready to invite Sheila in. The only thing left to do on the garage is to change out a door that led into the bedroom with an exterior door and fix up the garage doors so they seal better. My new garage for the car has an air conditioner for summer and a wall heater for the winter. As well as being attached to the central heating system. Sheila will stay nice and cozy year round.

I also got the shipping truck scheduled for some time this month (they don't know exactly what day yet). $475 to ship the car 325 miles doesn't seem too bad to me. Just sorry I won't be there to usher her into her new home. My buddy will be doing that for me.

I picked up a set of tires to get her up off the ground a bit more during transit. Need to get those thrown on here soon.

That's all for now.

If it's as nice as its supposed to be tommorow I should have some pictures of it painted tommorow night :D
Yep.. screwed it up again lol. this time not as bad. I mixed the primer wrong, the first time I mixed it I reduced it based on the label. It was spitting out balls of thick primer instead of a normal spray. Me being the noob I am at painting decided "it will get better as I go :rolleyes:". Started on the roof, and it came out horrendous. At this point I knew I would be sanding it down anyway and just continued to glob primer all over the car just to get full coverage in areas where I sanded it down to the metal. I figured I only had a little bit left in the can and I would experiment with the mixing of the reducer. I thinned it until it stirred like water and tried it again. It sprayed like it was supposed to and dried like it was supposed to. Now I just need to sand it AGAIN and get some more primer for a sealer coat.. then I'll be on my way to screwing up the paint :cool:
Man that sucks, I'll have to be extra careful reading the label when I prime and paint mine. Hopefully it's not too much of a pain to sand it back down.

Dreamed about the Mustangs back in Dad's garage while getting parts from the junkyard for my 96 Bronco to get ready for daughter to drive.

Went to the shop and did some banging on my girl 73 Izzy. Found some bondo to remove. Ya! Lots of fun.
I had to chisel out huge chunks of bondo on the Bronco last week. They used a gallon to fill a small dent. Also filled the entire rain gutter with it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Today, I took apart the AOD shifter to see what I could come up with. I basically shortened the rear mounts (pop-riveted them back into place), put some spacers under the fronts, rubbed the white letters off the inside of the indicator lens (I'll put some stick-on white vinyl letters on the top - since they were out of alignment with the shift detents anyway) and stuffed it all back together. So far, so good!

Here's the shifter before modification:

603038_549892205021702_1252810603_n.jpg

And here's the [pretty much] finished product:

5442_582326395111616_2089140770_n.jpg

Also test-fitted the console, and it seems to be fine. Just gotta fine-tune the fitment after the carpet's installed - so nothing's permanent right now.

5702_582326385111617_532470146_n.jpg

I guess this is the major hurdle to making this work. Now I just need to re-wire and adapt the AOD harness into the car's transmission harness so the neutral safety and reverse lock-out switches work again... then it should be all done.

I also swiped one of the wheels off my pal Jim's Galaxie 500 XL (just to see what it would look like - LOL). Now, I just gotta figure out how to get the other 3. ;) :D

544536_582326405111615_1493668266_n.jpg

Hopefully, tomorrow will be slow at the shop so I can get something else done.

Finally got my car in my possesion after a 15 hour roadtrip. So far yesterday I dropped the fuel tank, replaced wheels, and did an oil change. Next is putting new tank in, fixing loose automatic shifter, and deciding a solution for my carb issue. I got an old 625 Carter's carb on it. I am going to clean it and see how it runs soon. Should I replace it?

IMAG0037.jpg

IMAG0041.jpg

IMAG0042.jpg

IMAG0029.jpg

Congrats on getting the car "home". The magnums llook good on there! As for the carb start with a good cleaning, ultrasonic if you can, and a rebuild kit. Replace the carb only if necessary.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finely after 4 months I pulled the Mach 1 out of storage. I'm so happy to get it back in the garage and get back on the rust repair. I had know idea rebuilding the rear suspension on my sandrail was going to be such a up hill battle. I feel like I have fallen so far behind on my goal of being ready for paint by fall.:mad: Oh well I will try to catch my self back up and be ready for paint by next spring.:cool:

on load 001.jpg

on load 004.jpg

back on 4.jpg

Back