What did you do to your car today?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Prepped for exterior sound deadened. PIA...
I hope your going to bag the car (wrap in painters plastic) To protect from overspray solvent in the air
Definitely... Was done this am before spraying. Also wrapped up the Boss Laguna Seca, took no chances...

Repainted black on the original magnums. Cleaned years of grime from the back side too. Yeah Purple Power!

Today, swapped out the instrument voltage regulator (gauges would climb while slowing down to a stop) and drilled the holes through the hood for the twist hood locks.
Was it scary drilling the holes in the hood? Which hood locks are you using?
I have a set of used original hood locks. My method for cutting:

1) buy a holesaw (I think it was a 3" - bought it last summer).

2) From the underside of the hood I used the molded in structure to guide the holesaw. Now these under hood openings are a little larger than the holesaw so I created thin cardboard cylinders around the holesaw and built one over the next until the cardboard cylinders and the holesaw fit snug in the openings under the bottom side of the hold.

3) Making sure the cylinders were butted up to the underside of the hood and the driver was straight, I drilled the centerhole.

4) Repeated for the other side.

5) Finished drilling out the holes from the top.

6) Used a q-tip to apply a little paint to the bare metal edge hoping to avoid rust issues.

7) Cups were a tight fit but pulled down flush.

My hood was already painted and this method did not hurt the finish.

20160519_163531_Fahrertür Prägestempel_klein.jpg

Today, I finished rust prevention at my driver's side door.

All the parts inside the door have been removed for maintenance, cleaning and new lubrication two weeks ago.

In the meantime I coated the inside and the inner part of the door with rust converter (Fertan). Residence time is 48h. After this I washed it away with pure water. The protection layer is still faultless. I painted the inside panel with white rust protection paint.

Today I reassembled the door lock, door opener, door handle, the window, window winder, rear view mirror with remote, etc. Then I sealed the door, installed the splash shield and the door cover.

Today's work is done! It's quarter to ten pm in Central Europe.

Some pictures attached:

Cheers

Frank

20160519_163541_Fahrertür mit Fertan_klein.jpg

20160519_162254_Fahrertür Fensterführung_klein.jpg

20160605_154122_Tür_Scheibe eingebaut_klein.jpg

20160605_193812_Fahrertür mit Sealer_klein.jpg

20160605_194242_Fahrertür mit Splash Shield_klein.jpg

20160605_195126_Fahrertür mit Türabdeckung_klein.jpg

20160605_202612_Fahrertür komplett_klein.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I took my car out for a spin to see how the new waterneck etc is holding out. Everything seems to be free of leaks. I drove it to an airplane-spotting place to shoot a couple of planes myself.

Starting was less smooth today which surprised me as it seemed to have improved. When I started to drive home again my battery sounded like it was low and barely managed to start... Exciting day that way ;-)

Here's some photos:

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-tw4sZuvvD6g/V1RgZx1pJ4I/AAAAAAAAqEM/RqEetu4gfRUTBdwJvec6lsXcxTviPUWVwCLcB/s1600/DSC01845.jpg

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-0z5_pcNOTGw/V1RgaZN59sI/AAAAAAAAqEY/H7dGOUz80m0aO3R1_6jt4a8HVUzxBgrtgCLcB/s1600/DSC01867.jpg

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-w6NjvYiTOWA/V1RgaUvkeLI/AAAAAAAAqEc/vkEom6jlqYABgSi9mzrw8Ch5J-bPatJ7QCLcB/s1600/DSC01870.jpg

I took my car out for a spin to see how the new waterneck etc is holding out. Everything seems to be free of leaks. I drove it to an airplane-spotting place to shoot a couple of planes myself.
You know, it's a felony offense to shoot planes...:whistling:

Starting was less smooth today which surprised me as it seemed to have improved. When I started to drive home again my battery sounded like it was low and barely managed to start... Exciting day that way ;-)

Here's some photos:

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-tw4sZuvvD6g/V1RgZx1pJ4I/AAAAAAAAqEM/RqEetu4gfRUTBdwJvec6lsXcxTviPUWVwCLcB/s1600/DSC01845.jpg

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-0z5_pcNOTGw/V1RgaZN59sI/AAAAAAAAqEY/H7dGOUz80m0aO3R1_6jt4a8HVUzxBgrtgCLcB/s1600/DSC01867.jpg

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-w6NjvYiTOWA/V1RgaUvkeLI/AAAAAAAAqEc/vkEom6jlqYABgSi9mzrw8Ch5J-bPatJ7QCLcB/s1600/DSC01870.jpg
I am curious as to what you come up with on the starting issue. Mine is doing the same thing. Starts fine but if you shut if off after driving it seems like the battery is near dead unless you let it sit for a while. I have a newer gear reduction starter.

All the parts inside the door have been removed for maintenance, cleaning and new lubrication two weeks ago.

In the meantime I coated the inside and the inner part of the door with rust converter (Fertan). Residence time is 48h. After this I washed it away with pure water. The protection layer is still faultless. I painted the inside panel with white rust protection paint.

Today I reassembled the door lock, door opener, door handle, the window, window winder, rear view mirror with remote, etc. Then I sealed the door, installed the splash shield and the door cover.

Some pictures attached:

Cheers

Frank
Frank,

which splash shields did you install - where did they come from?!?

Unfortunately I had no time on Thursday to come by... :-/

Last edited by a moderator:

Some pictures attached:

Cheers

Frank
Frank,

Tim

I thought having ordered it at cjponyparts few years ago but unfortunately I cannot find it on their website anymore. :huh: Tomorrow I will have a look whether there is any label on the packing.

It was a set of 2 for the doors. There aren't any splash shields for the rear quarters. So I have done them by myself out of a roll of vapor barrier I had in stock from my last roof maintenance. From one side it is waterproofed, from the other side it is permeable to moisture. I have cut it in shape and it matched. If you need some let me know, I'm still long with it. :D

Cheers

Frank

Some pictures attached:

Cheers

Frank
Frank,

Tim

I thought having ordered it at cjponyparts few years ago but unfortunately I cannot find it on their website anymore. :huh: Tomorrow I will have a look whether there is any label on the packing.

It was a set of 2 for the doors. There aren't any splash shields for the rear quarters. So I have done them by myself out of a roll of vapor barrier I had in stock from my last roof maintenance. From one side it is waterproofed, from the other side it is permeable to moisture. I have cut it in shape and it matched. If you need some let me know, I'm still long with it. :D

Cheers

Frank
Hehehe, that could be the thing one day :D

I will let you now, thanks ::thumb::

Took some coke and tinfoil to the wheels today, and hosed the crap off. Made a big difference Image1466464347.018252.jpgImage1466464363.013061.jpgImage1466464376.136244.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Went for a wheel alignment, didn't happen due to idler and pitman arms being worn. Went to get exhaust changed out from the flow masters, didn't happen because they didn't have a bender. The alignment I get but I had made an appointment for both of these things.

On the plus side I got the starter wired correctly. Powermaster sent me another wiring diagram to try and it worked perfectly, no more half a second hangup.

Coke and tin foil? Really? I've never heard of that before. Looks like it worked pretty well.
worked better than some of the stuff i bought, still rubbed mothers in after but the coke helped get off the surface rust and actually did a nice shine too it. figure the mothers will help it last

Coke and tin foil? Really? I've never heard of that before. Looks like it worked pretty well.
worked better than some of the stuff i bought, still rubbed mothers in after but the coke helped get off the surface rust and actually did a nice shine too it. figure the mothers will help it last
S.O.S soap pad works very well.

Back