What did you do to your car today?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like the rear of the outer wheel house got pushed back towards the tail of the car.

I’d break out a hammer, dolly and some brute force.  I think when you get the outer wheelhouse bent forward and down a bit you will be able to butt weld your patch without any gap.

You were correct, the angle was nearly 0. Applying force using a piece of wood and making a few cuts brought it into position.
Thanks again!

Today I did nothing to the car,  Yesterday I installed the dome lamp and cover then wen out to burn off some bad gas.

She was doing great, both fast idle and warm idle.  Warm idle was perfect, and reliable.  Ne tank of gas from Phillips 66 and she wont idle at all.   A real challenge and a lot of clutch at every stop.

So I did what any 7173 owner in their right mind would do. Picked up a neighbor who likes cars and I hit the highway!

According to the Life 360 App on the phone, I went 44 Miles with a top speed of 83 MPH.

1/2 a tank to go!

kcmash

Power steering pump has been leaking at the jic fitting due to several bad nicks in the face on the male end at the pump.  Pump was also starting to whine a little so I figure I would get a rebuilt pump and reuse the old reservoir.   Called around and lucked out and found one at a local NAPA store.  Some one had ordered it but never picked it up.  So I pulled the pulley, pop the pump out of the reservoir housing and headed to the store.   Got there and they had the pump waiting for me.  Checked it out and found the nipple on the jic was banged up really bad. :classic_angry:   No way for it to seal properly.  So now the car is sitting and I'm on the search again.  I  might bite the bullet and just order a complete new pump.  

Last edited by a moderator:
was able to drop my 3rd member in my axle after going through cleaning up, inspecting, replacing pinion seal, checking backlash and pattern. that made me happy!

also was able to find some nice stainless nuts for the 3rd member. looks good and wont get all rusty. 

small steps

Well, I worked today on my heater/ AC evaporator box rebuild. The heater core had started to weep, so I removed the entire box, only to find the lower half of the box needing replacement as well as the heater core. I installed a new heater core along with a "foam kit" to replace all of the old foam sealing surfaces, flushed the evaporator with laquer thinner, vacuum tested the evap, and re-assembled the box complete. None of the vacuum motors leak, so they are cleaned up and re-installed. All new vacuum hoses, correctly color striped with paint pens will be going in with the installation. More to come...

Today finally put my new valve covers on and fired up the car for the first time in 4 weeks.  I have been cleaning up my engine bay, new ac system, new alt, ps pump, hoses, etc.   Still need to clean up the vacuum lines with better routing and a few minor things as well as charge the new ac system then put back the support braces.  Did not really take any before pics, must some pics for reference but here are some old and new pics.

eb3.jpg

eb5.jpg

eb4.jpg

eb2.jpg

Picked up my 72 Mach 1 parts car #3.  It has been sitting in my brothers back yard for years. Unfortunately he is putting his house up for sale so he can move out of this rapidly declining state.  I was going to strip it down but I was just not feeling it so I sent off to become a Hyundai. Too bad the PO put that ridiculous spoiler on the back it cracked and rotted the hole back of the car.     

IMG_2563.JPG

IMG_2565.JPG

IMG_2568.JPG

IMG_2569.JPG

IMG_2570.JPG

IMG_2574.JPG

IMG_2575.JPG

Mine got a new starter today. Old one would only turn things over once in a blue moon. Also pulled the retrofit fuel pump out and redid the clamps and line on it again since it pushed off the line yet again. Trying crimp clamps this time. 

Picked up my 72 Mach 1 parts car #3.  It has been sitting in my brothers back yard for years. Unfortunately he is putting his house up for sale so he can move out of this rapidly declining state.  I was going to strip it down but I was just not feeling it so I sent off to become a Hyundai. Too bad the PO put that ridiculous spoiler on the back it cracked and rotted the hole back of the car.     

View attachment 43885

View attachment 43886

View attachment 43887

View attachment 43888

View attachment 43889

View attachment 43890

View attachment 43891
I would have loved a few parts of that :(

Curious of what parts you wanted?? Taillights??
Front windscreen (if any good) Drivers door (if no rust) centre front grille support brackets.  If it was an FMX car the  electrical plug that the neutral safety switch plugs into on the main wire harness. RHS front screen trim. 

I parked mine back in the shop after a 2900+ mile road trip. My son and I visited the battlefields at Gettysburg, went to Charlotte, NC. We drove some of the Appalachian backroads, went through the Cumberland Gap and visited Asheville, NC. It was a great week, now time to rest! LOL!!

I parked mine back in the shop after a 2900+ mile road trip. My son and I visited the battlefields at Gettysburg, went to Charlotte, NC. We drove some of the Appalachian backroads, went through the Cumberland Gap and visited Asheville, NC. It was a great week, now time to rest! LOL!!
Nice that are using your car that way, sounds like you had a great time.

I just came in from shop to give neck a break. I have the 72 Q vert on the 2 post getting ready to bolt the rotisserie on. Will be on light duty after this week. They are going try to do surgery so I wanted to get the heavy work done. Will get some pics tomorrow.

I went back with new shirt on and got the front half of the rotisserie mounted. Will drop the super heavy. probably 200 lb. backbone in tomorrow and then mount the rear half.

20200828_172119.jpg

20200828_172131.jpg

20200828_172143.jpg

finished my console project today.  My car came with just the shift bezel, I had picked up the mini console but I needed cup holders.  Not worried about concours car, want comfort so this is my console.  The shift bezel in our Mustangs, compared to other cars of the era is, IMO, GAY.  This is what I came up with.  Picture with the two gear lights is dark as I could not use flash, it would have washed out the red and green lights.  All gears have lights, picture of console on floor is how it comes from the factory.

con4.jpg

con3.jpg

con2.jpg

con1.jpg

con5.jpg

con6.jpg

I like it!!  What was the console out of?  Thanks for sharing.

Back