What did you do to your car today?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went to the machine shop to drop off the final bits and pieces, came home with three pages of bad news. Good news is that it came in at budget, and we should be making noise in a day or two. 

351c_dynoready.jpg

Not to my car, but for it. Started on the foundation and floor for a workshop. My wife and I downsized this spring, smaller yard and house. My old workshop was 24'x30', new one got shrunk to 18'x24'. At least with the smaller yard I'll no longer have to store a lawn tractor in my workshop. Be good to get the Mustang out of a storage shed, not to mention having to pay rent to store it, I'd rather spend it on car parts.

Have you tried jumping the horns directly from the battery? Pretty common for 50 year old horns to give it up. Also, check the voltage at the horn connectors when someone is pushing the horn.
Horn issue figured out, I have an aftermarket adapter kit, the contacts at the back are making contact only at certain points, so if you hold the horn and turn the wheel they come on and off. Today was speedo cable snapped .......nothing like driving along then tapping noises and you think the motor is on the way out , only to find the speedo cable broken. 

Have other issues as well but will post them in the engine section.

I've never had very good luck with aftermarket steering wheel horns, either.

Yes, it seems like there is always some different problem coming up with old cars.

Good luck.

Thanks Tim, I'm just cleaning up and re-sealing what's there. It's a mild 2v engine with a little head work and a Comp 268H cam. The plan is to paint it the same color as the trans and bell housing. I have a performer intake and some polished motorsports valve covers to dress it up a bit. The water pump did not clean up very well so it's getting painted too. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Tim, I'm just cleaning up and re-sealing what's there. It's a mild 2v engine with a little head work and a Comp 268H cam. The plan is to paint it the same color as the trans and bell housing. I have a performer intake and some polished motorsports valve covers to dress it up a bit. The water pump did not clean up very well so it's getting painted too. 
Sounds good! Why changing a good running system... After that you will have a clean and tidy look of your engine bay  :thumb:

I spent most of my nearly 2 week break cleaning, cleaning and cleaning some more. I got the bell housing and transmission painted and the engine ready to paint. The wiring harness has been pulled. 

View attachment 47618

View attachment 47619

View attachment 47620

View attachment 47621
Jeff-

Your hood latch and support look like you have already cleaned them up and repainted.  A question for you: How did you clean them?  I am looking to do the same to mine.  Normally I bead blast the crud and old paint before priming and painting, but I am worried about not being able to get all the beads out of the mechanism and there is no way to completely disassemble it.  Any pointers?  Thanks. 

Jeff-

Your hood latch and support look like you have already cleaned them up and repainted.  A question for you: How did you clean them?  I am looking to do the same to mine.  Normally I bead blast the crud and old paint before priming and painting, but I am worried about not being able to get all the beads out of the mechanism and there is no way to completely disassemble it.  Any pointers?  Thanks. 
Hi Chris, I've been cleaning with Super Clean with rags and brushes. I did blast some parts years ago but would not blast the latch mechanism. 

Back