What did you do to your car today?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Done a lot of work these past few weeks. Trying to have it ready next week for race season. I need to complete the installation of the new spindles and complete readying the engine to start after the cylinder head work. A lot of details left but I am targeting this weekend to roll around the neighborhood!
What mods are you doing with the new spindles assuming their oem spindles?

What mods are you doing with the new spindles assuming their oem spindles?
Not really mods. My old spindles were not in good shape and allowed too much end play for my taste. Since I am taking my car to the track I don't want to deal with that unknown. If you check my build thread you will see that I had already modified the suspension with a Maier MOD1. One thing I just added are DRP bearing spacers. I don't expect any performance gain but once adjusted makes the bearing installation process much more consistent.

Ok, this was a couple of days ago but close enough. I started my 72 Mach 1 for the first time since October. I did a couple of 4-5 second cranks and it started right up. I warmed it up and took it for a drive and all seems fine! Then I had to get gas, jeez 4.40 per gal. Hopefully it comes back down to a reasonable price soon. Not holding my breath

Welded material to the rear drum brakes backing plate flat pads where the brake shoes ride on, and ground them down to make them flat again. Painted the rear drum brake backing plates semi gloss black, and the parking brake lever and spreader bar with cast blast. Removed the driveshaft, removed the u-joints. Degreased the driveshaft and then wire wheeled and sanded down the driveshaft. Painted driveshaft with Rust Oleum Rust Reformer. Tomorrow will paint driveshaft with cast blast. Cannot assemble everything back as I have one incorrect u-joint and one incorrect wheel cylinder from Napa... All this mess started 2 weeks ago when I started changing the 3rd member for one with 3.50 gears and a trac-lok. I thought this was a weekend project until I took the axles out and one of the wheel bearing was bad. So, I took it to a friend of mine that has a press and he changed the wheel bearings. When I got the axles back and was going to get everything back together, I noticed that one wheel cylinders was leaking. Ended up ordering a pair from Napa and got one that was incorrect. Pulled driveshaft today and also found that one U-joint is incorrect. Have had this car sitting in front of the garage blocking 2 other cars from being able to get out of the garage for 2 weeks, and from where I am now, it seems it will become 3 weeks. So much for the weekend job...

Attachments

• B20F9E61-C986-49AF-BAD7-604ADDCE7F8C.jpeg
    B20F9E61-C986-49AF-BAD7-604ADDCE7F8C.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 32
  • B96A7685-6A5A-438D-9E08-3FD0F73D038D.jpeg
    B96A7685-6A5A-438D-9E08-3FD0F73D038D.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 18
  • 96087EB3-17EA-4828-AA40-452F67B2F4C0.jpeg
    96087EB3-17EA-4828-AA40-452F67B2F4C0.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 23
  • 12ACD0BB-CF25-40D4-B8E0-D8F53FC3EEFB.jpeg
    12ACD0BB-CF25-40D4-B8E0-D8F53FC3EEFB.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 20
  • 4AF66DCD-35FA-4B05-9853-55A4060A1AE3.jpeg
    4AF66DCD-35FA-4B05-9853-55A4060A1AE3.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 19
  • ABCF54BD-BB2F-42D7-AED4-FD4F0B356018.jpeg
    ABCF54BD-BB2F-42D7-AED4-FD4F0B356018.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 20
  • 52C0CAE2-63C8-45B0-A1B9-0AC48B07B184.jpeg
    52C0CAE2-63C8-45B0-A1B9-0AC48B07B184.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 22
So I redid my Charcoal Canister. Bought it off eBay because I didn’t have one at all and followed the tutorial posted below. Very easy. Thanks 73mustangcoupe! https://7173mustangs.com/members/73mustangcoupe.1845/
Nice job, I just installed mine a few weeks ago just to verify placement and will be doing this charcoal refresh soon. My wife has been saving her old aquarium filters for me for a couple months so I can scavenge the charcoal out of them. Your post is right on time to keep me on track. Thanks.

Tom

I installed a new front windshield this morning. Drove up to NPD in Charlotte last weekend to avoid shipping (an breakage during shipping) costs. It was a good 2 1/2 hour drive and weather was nice so it got us out of the house for a while. The windshield fit properly, very happy with the results. The job is pretty straightforward but I used Kilgon's thread (https://7173mustangs.com/threads/windshield-installation.35632/) guidance and advice on doing the job one time only.

Tom

Installed brake backing plates and both axles on the car. completely assembled drivers side rear brake, could not do passenger side as I am still waiting for that sides wheel cylinder. Removed the parking brake cables, started mounting new parking brake cables. Installed front U-joint and yoke on driveshaft, can't mount it as I am waiting for the correct rear U-joint... Cleaned a bit on the undercarriage and painted a bit under there with some rust converter. Hopefully the car will be back on the road next week. The weekend project that started 3 weeks ago, is somehow still going :-(

New power brake booster, new valve cover gaskets, stage 8 locking bolts on the valve covers, new breathers, fixed the parking brake light being on all of the time, new spark plugs and started setting up the tune again. Oh! And I drove it around a bit. Nice weather here in Arizona. Great for having the top down.

I got the main brake line routed over the weekend and now have all the brake lines done under the car. I need to mount the proportioning valve and line lock then bench bleed the master and connect everything together. Hopefully I'll have it together and bled this weekend. I've already missed a couple of therapy days...

Did I say how much I hate brake lines??

Last edited:
I got the main brake line routed over the weekend and now have all the brake lines done under the car. I need to mount the proportioning valve and line lock then bench bleed the master and connect everything together. Hopefully I'll have it together and bled this weekend. I've already missed a couple of therapy days...

Did I say how much I hate brake lines??
You are almost there. It is nice to know that you don't need to worry about a gremlin in your lines anymore. One less thing to worry about it when you are driving all those miles this summer.

Reinstalled the PM alternator (still haven't heard from CJ), reinstalled my OEM GT clock that Bob just performed surgery on and brought back to life, connected the neg cable to hear her click away, very cool to have that classic tune, then unhooked the neg cable so she doesn't burn up again. 👍🏻
Thank you Rocketman!

Back