What externally will work on a 460 from a 351c

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach 1, Q code 351CJ, 4 speed.
Still trying to figure out if I'm going to build the 460 block I have on the stand or pull the 351c and rebuild it.  What will transfer to the 460 from the 351?  Bell housing, pulleys? AC compressor, motor mounts, distributor???  Anything else that might transfer?

Not much. 460 has a big block bell pattern and motor mounts. The clever no. Not many of the pulleys either

Distributor, Starter, Carb, Air Breather Assy, Alt, A/C & P/S (but none of their brackets), sending units, filters ...

Bell housing / trans is same pattern as 351M, 400, 429.

That's all I recall.

scgamecock,

The 460, to me is way to heavy for the front end. I would stick with the 351C. I do remember that the 1971 Boss 351 pretty much whipped all of the high performance 429’s in stock form. Just amazing! Just look at what one can do the the Cleveland, plus have plenty of space in the engine compartment.

Ford 351 Cleveland Engines: Lubrication

https://www.cartechbooks.com/techtips/351-cleveland-lubrication/

1: chamfer the block oil passages to allow for larger volume.

2: Radius all passages and transitions to eliminate fluid turbulence and foaming.

3: Use a Melling or Ford Racing high-volume oil pump

Cylinder Heads-

Cylinder Heads Ford 351c Cleveland-Bare Set-

Factory New, Blacklabel’s Aluminum Cylinder heads, Aussie 3V (2V Intake Ports/4V Exhaust Ports)

https://www.angusracing.com/shop/cylinder-heads-ford-351c-cleveland-bare-set/

Pistons

Speed-Pro Power Forged Pistons L2348F30

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/trw-l2348f30

Connecting Rods-

Eagle H-Beam Connecting Rods 5780F3D

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/esp-5780f3d/overview/

Crank -

Chamfer the oil holes, have the crank tested for cracks.

Oh baby, Plenty of power!

IMO!

Wow....

351C, 460, 351c, 460, trade for a 69, 460, 351C, 460.....

Get a grip man, and make a plan!
LOL  ::thumb::  You are definitely right I need to just start wrenching on it again.  This heat and humidity is keeping me out of the garage but not stopping the wheels from turning or is it the hamster running on the wheel in my head. lollerz lollerz

When I was younger I wanted a 429 as well, but after having built a 351 to nearly 500hp, I can say unless you want to drag race, the Cleveland has WAY more than enough power for our cars!! Plus The weight of the engine offers much better handling!! I just don't know if all the messing around to make a big block fit is worth it?

When I put the 460 in my '69 I installed big block (428) springs. By the time I put the 460 in it was so light that the springs barely compressed at all and the car was darn near undrivable due to the stiff front end. Put in 351 springs with a 1" drop and it sits right, rides nice and handles as well as the 351 - just don't hit the loud pedal in a corner.

The changes I made to lighten it up are the same ones that everyone plans to make to a 351:

Aluminum heads

Aluminum Intake - Edelbrock dual plane Performer (basically an a stock 4V intake)

Tube headers (in my case steel shorties from FPA)

Battery still in stock location, BB radiator, belt driven fan.

Internally i run a small 268*/.494" lift cam, stock crank, stock rods and TRW flat top pistons (9.5:1 comp), melling oil pump, no special machine work. A 750 carb, Duraspark II ignition and Holley fuel pump.

I have a 9" locker with 3.25 gears and Shelby under-ride bars, a C6 with AOD gear set (lower 1st gear) and a 2500 stall. She launches hard on dry pavement but will still smoke them if you tromp on the gas. She will break loose at 30 MPH if you want it to. On (e-free) pump gas.

Okay, so she only gets about 12 MPG, but she is streetable, dependable and a blast to drive.

429/460 parts are plentiful and affordable - I haven't built a Cleveland in more than 25 years, but back then parts were harder to find for the 351C and very pricey. Maybe that has changed.

In any case, weight or room should not be a factor. The 429 was available from the factory and there is a lot more room in the 7123 than the 67-70.

429/460 parts are plentiful and affordable - I haven't built a Cleveland in more than 25 years, but back then parts were harder to find for the 351C and very pricey. Maybe that has changed.
In my experience its pretty much the reverse. At least 429 parts for 71 mustangs, I look atm at 429 headers (new vs costs restoration of the ones I have) and need a radiator, so if you know where I can find these cheaper or same price as for a 351c, please let me know.

Is the car numbers-matching by any chance? If so that might influence your decision to swap or not. I have a slightly built factory '71 Mach 1 429 J code 4 speed (cam, headers, carb, MSD) and that drivetrain puts a smile on face each time. I can't take credit because I purchased it that way, but it's built the way I would have done it. Others have gone the 351C to 429/460 route and have described things very well. Honestly if done right I don't believe it affects handling too badly, because these cars were just not designed for autocrossing regardless, unless replacing/upgrading that '63 Falcon suspension (it's still under there). lol Mine remains firmly planted in corners but it's not like I'm pushing it. IMO the big block Mustang lives for the straight line, the stoplight drag race. I believe most new performance parts are geared toward the W engine, but certainly you can build a 351C to any degree you like. If you like the "no substitute for cubic inches philosophy" then a stroker might be your answer. Ultimately the decision is based on your available time and the size of your bank account.

No replacement for displacement... If your suspension is built to handle it, send it...

Back