What is this called?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirconmach1

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 351 Cleveland, 4 barrel, ram air, 4 speed, factory a/c, 77 k original miles in bright red with black.

Drive it like you stole it!
While working on my 71 Mach 1 I came across something I’ve never seen before. Inside the engine bay on the passenger side near the cowl I found this large canister. I don’t even know what to call it, what it does and if they make replacements for it. Here’s a picture. Any help? From a 71 M code, 4 speed, ram air with factory air conditioning. Thanks 8C20D7DA-A6F6-4956-B99C-843DCD54F5E3.jpeg

While working on my 71 Mach 1 I came across something I’ve never seen before. Inside the engine bay on the passenger side near the cowl I found this large canister. I don’t even know what to call it, what it does and if they make replacements for it. Here’s a picture. Any help? From a 71 M code, 4 speed, ram air with factory air conditioning. Thanks View attachment 81817
As Kilgon posted, that blue canister is called a fuel vapor storage canister and has a charcoal-type material inside. A rubber hose from the canister attaches to a metal line that runs to the fuel tank and then to a fuel vapor valve on the top of the tank. A corrugated hose runs from the canister and connects to a stub (DOAZ-9D692-C) on the side of the air cleaner housing. The canister stores fuel vapors from the tank, and when the engine is started, the vapor is pulled through the air cleaner into the combustion chamber, where it is burnt. The canister in your picture is used on the '71-72 models.

The charcoal canister for '73 is a one-year-only part. Ford utilized it on full-size Ford, Gran Torino, Mustang, Maverick, Thunderbird, Bronco, E, and F100-350 series trucks. The '74 emissions and vapor recovery requirements had changed (Again), so the vapor recovery canister was changed to comply with the new regs.

The pictures below illustrate the different components in this system and how they look installed.
1695792114104.png
1695792140420.png
1695792168218.png

As Kilgon posted, that blue canister is called a fuel vapor storage canister and has a charcoal-type material inside. A rubber hose from the canister attaches to a metal line that runs to the fuel tank and then to a fuel vapor valve on the top of the tank. A corrugated hose runs from the canister and connects to a stub (DOAZ-9D692-C) on the side of the air cleaner housing. The canister stores fuel vapors from the tank, and when the engine is started, the vapor is pulled through the air cleaner into the combustion chamber, where it is burnt. The canister in your picture is used on the '71-72 models.

The charcoal canister for '73 is a one-year-only part. Ford utilized it on full-size Ford, Gran Torino, Mustang, Maverick, Thunderbird, Bronco, E, and F100-350 series trucks. The '74 emissions and vapor recovery requirements had changed (Again), so the vapor recovery canister was changed to comply with the new regs.

The pictures below illustrate the different components in this system and how they look installed.
View attachment 81835
View attachment 81836
View attachment 81837
Secluff has given a very thorough answer and explanation in his post above. I like the photos provided and plan to snag them to enhance my current documentation. The Fuel Evaporative System is one of the more misunderstood emission control systems. Like the PCV Valve, a lot of folks end up disabling it not realizing how beneficial it is when it comes to all but eliminating the smell of fuel vapors in a garage (and reducing unburned hydrocarbons into the atmosphere). It does nothing detrimental to engine performance, not one bit.

Not only have I see folks bypass it, I have seen a few situations where the canister's outplet port that is supposed to be connected to the steel tubing going bacl to the fuel tank's liquid/capor separator valve is connected to the intake manifold. Not only is that an incorrect connection, it ends up applying engine vacuum to the fuel take, that causing a real battle for the fuel pump to overcome when vacuum is applied to the fuel tank while the pump is fighting hard to pull liquid gasoline out for delivery to the carburetor. Unless someone put a vented fuel cap on the fuel tank it can cause some real unusual fuel starvation issues.

Attached is the 1973 emission control info from the Shop Manual Volume 6 excerpt. It covers how the fuel evaporative system is designed, has some useful diagrams, and also include vacuum routing for 1973 Mustag/Cougar emission control systems. A lot of the emission control system info is similar, or in some cases the same, for the 71 & 72 Mustangs, although the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) system was introduced in 1973, for 72 and earlier engines you can ignore the EGR related systems documented for 1973 engine calibrations.

I also took some photos of the Fuel Evap system line connections that I think might be of help in addition to the nice photos Secluff provided. The files I have are on my Google Drive at the following location:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1EVTRcv1bfvPPF8HXYk-2S0evxgUSBGYM?usp=drive_link

I also have (of course) a YouTube video I made showing out 1973 Mustang's Fuel Evap system at:

I will be adding Secluff's photos to my files later this morning, giving him credit for the photos of course (many thanks, Secluff).

Awesome pictures. I’m guessing that’s a 73, it looks a little different than my 71. I just purchased a NOS one from eBay. Mine was really rusted on the inside. Thank you for your help.

Secluff has given a very thorough answer and explanation in his post above. I like the photos provided and plan to snag them to enhance my current documentation. The Fuel Evaporative System is one of the more misunderstood emission control systems. Like the PCV Valve, a lot of folks end up disabling it not realizing how beneficial it is when it comes to all but eliminating the smell of fuel vapors in a garage (and reducing unburned hydrocarbons into the atmosphere). It does nothing detrimental to engine performance, not one bit.

Not only have I see folks bypass it, I have seen a few situations where the canister's outplet port that is supposed to be connected to the steel tubing going bacl to the fuel tank's liquid/capor separator valve is connected to the intake manifold. Not only is that an incorrect connection, it ends up applying engine vacuum to the fuel take, that causing a real battle for the fuel pump to overcome when vacuum is applied to the fuel tank while the pump is fighting hard to pull liquid gasoline out for delivery to the carburetor. Unless someone put a vented fuel cap on the fuel tank it can cause some real unusual fuel starvation issues.

Attached is the 1973 emission control info from the Shop Manual Volume 6 excerpt. It covers how the fuel evaporative system is designed, has some useful diagrams, and also include vacuum routing for 1973 Mustag/Cougar emission control systems. A lot of the emission control system info is similar, or in some cases the same, for the 71 & 72 Mustangs, although the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) system was introduced in 1973, for 72 and earlier engines you can ignore the EGR related systems documented for 1973 engine calibrations.

I also took some photos of the Fuel Evap system line connections that I think might be of help in addition to the nice photos Secluff provided. The files I have are on my Google Drive at the following location:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1EVTRcv1bfvPPF8HXYk-2S0evxgUSBGYM?usp=drive_link

I also have (of course) a YouTube video I made showing out 1973 Mustang's Fuel Evap system at:

I will be adding Secluff's photos to my files later this morning, giving him credit for the photos of course (many thanks, Secluff).

Thanks for all this information. My 69 doesn’t have anything like this on it. I had a feeling it was something related to the carb since I could smell the fumes in it. 61 and still learning. Thanks for your reply.

Thanks for all this information. My 69 doesn’t have anything like this on it. I has a feeling it did something related to the carb since I could smell the fumes in it. 61 and still learning. Thanks for your reply.

Back