What is this?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Conv; 1 of 17; 351C, 2V, Auto
What a mess I found under my dash. Probably when the prvious owner installed the crappy after market cassette/radio.

Anyway, I found this device taped to the lower pertion of the steering column.

If someone can identify it, I can search the Ford manual and put it back to where it belongs.

As always, Thanks.

100_1982.jpg

100_1981.jpg

With that chain attached, my first guess would be a lamp switch. No, seriously, it's driving me nuts because I know I've seen one of those somewhere before. Maybe I'm getting Old-Timers Disease. Are those two black wires going into it?

Its the chain that held the stopper (rubber plugs also used in a bath tub) that went in the ram air scoops in the hood, to be used when racing various chevy's so that they were not sucked into the intake as we went by them.

Are there any wires connected to it? If so what color are they? I was thinking a switch to turn off the tail/brake lights

Cool no problem was just curious what it turned out to really be. I still think it was my previous answer but hey thats just the mustang in me coming out.
Wait a minute, this is not the fun question of the week:)

Just kidding!
Its the chain that held the stopper (rubber plugs also used in a bath tub) that went in the ram air scoops in the hood, to be used when racing various chevy's so that they were not sucked into the intake as we went by them.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, Its not a rubber stopper, a ceiling fan switch, Mardi Gra beeds or a kill switch (smart Asses!)

The "switch" is spring loaded and has a greena and violet wire connected to is along with a vacuum line! see picture.

Also, I found this yellow box behind the console with sensitivity adjustments. It says DANA corp. Precision control devision.

Is this this the OEM cruise control or aftermarket?

My turn signal stalk has an attached cruise control device.

Does any one else have oem cruise and is it part of the signal stalk or an add on?

100_2013.jpg

100_2009.jpg

100_2010.jpg

could be a cruise control.

could be a spark controller.

but since you say you have a cruise control addition to your turn signal, that is most likely it.

Dana corp seals it dana made aftermarket cruise controls.

there might be a magnet control attached by the driveshaft, see if you have 2 little magnets 180 degrees apart mounted to the driveshaft, they should be wrapped in tape to prevent them from falling off and there should be a pickup for them in the trans tunnel or under the floor pans.

there should also be a mercury switch under the hood. this was to kill the system in the event of roll over.

The throttle control bellows was connected to the intake manifold and the entire throttle control system was operated by engine vacuum. The on-off, set, accelerate and coast functions were part of a switch assembly that replaced the end of the turn signal stalk, or on some cars, the headlight dimmer stalk.

you can remove the entire thing if you want. If your turn signal stalk is damaged you can just replace it with a reproduction part.

Latest posts

Back