What valves to purchase

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach 1, Q code 351CJ, 4 speed.
-What is a good set of valves to purchase?  I have heard a lot about Ferrerea's.  Are there other brands that you would recommend?  These are going in stock 351cj iron heads.  

-What are the valve sizes 2.19 intake and ??? Exhaust?

-Links to the valves?

-I have heard then need to be one piece and single grooved.

Not looking for anything fancy just a good set of valves

You cant go wrong with Ferrea valves. Do not skimp on anything in the valve train. These are the most stressed part of the engine. Here is a link to the trouble I had when Tim Barnett put JUNK valve train parts in my heads. Luckily I caught it before it destroyed my engine. Tell your machine shop what you want and let him get everything you need. Its easier and cheaper in the long run. And he can assemble your heads correctly for you.

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-better-news-for-my-408-its-alive?page=6

if it is all stock you can just use oem replacement valves, otherwise rev valves. ferreas are great but are overkill for stock and near stock applications.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a set of ferrea 5000 stainless steel valves . They are for 2v and 4v open chamber heads.

The size.is 2.07 and 1.65

Let me know if you need those. I am willing to sell them a lot cheeper then online

They are brand new

Thanks

Alex

Last edited by a moderator:
I've used the Ferrea 5000 series in one previous engine and they are an excellent value for the money. Valve sizes are 2.19/1.71 intake/exhaust on the 4V heads except for the 73 4V heads that came with the smaller 2V size valves.

Intake - F5045

Exhaust - F5037

They run about $85/set of 8 pretty much anywhere online. That's a lower per-valve cost than i paid back in the early 90's for stock replacement valves.

Oh, and here's what happens when a stock two-piece valve gives up the ghost at 6K rpm....

I have a set of ferrea 5000 stainless steel valves . They are for 2v and 4v  open chamber heads.

The size.is 2.07 and 1.65

Let me know if you need those. I am willing to sell them a lot cheeper then online

They are brand new

Thanks

Alex
Thanks Alex but I have 2.19 and 1.71's

I've used the Ferrea 5000 series in one previous engine and they are an excellent value for the money. Valve sizes are 2.19/1.71 intake/exhaust on the 4V heads except for the 73 4V heads that came with the smaller 2V size valves.

Intake - F5045

Exhaust - F5037

They run about $85/set of 8 pretty much anywhere online. That's a lower per-valve cost than i paid back in the early 90's for stock replacement valves.

Oh, and here's what happens when a stock two-piece valve gives up the ghost at 6K rpm....

OUCH!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Intake - F5045

Exhaust - F5037

I had a similar experience with stock valves!

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-bad-day-catastrophic-engine-failure-updated-pics-of-the-carnage

Intake - F5045

Exhaust - F5037

I had a similar experience with stock valves!

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-bad-day-catastrophic-engine-failure-updated-pics-of-the-carnage
Look on the positive side. That just gives you an excuse to build that stroker you always wanted!

Luckily, it wasn't mine at the time. I sold the car to a guy in NJ. He put in a Tremec with 4.33s and missed a shift.....
Was he able to see how many RPM's he hit when he blew the shift?  I've been driving stick since 1980, and currently have three manual trans cars (2 classics, 1 sports sedan).  Every once in a blue moon I'll blow a shift, but not usually on a max acceleration run.  Still feels so stupid...

Back