What's your Mustang's name?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Dad named mine for me. He is almost 91 now and is a WWII veteran. I call him every week. The first thing he always ask me is: Did you get "The Pony" out today?

So in honor of my Dad who was first against a 18 year old kid buying a 72 Mach 1 instead of a pickup, I call my Mustang "The Pony".

She seems to like the name and since she has a 429 she's a strong old girl.

I was thinking about this awhile back and decided on "Louie". When I was test driving my car Brother Louie was playing on the radio as I was driving down McDowell Rd in Scottsdale. I have it on MP3 so I can listen to it as I drive it today, brings back old memories.

Never realized it but all my cars have ended up with nicknames:

1) 71 Mach: Old Boots

2) 75 Torino: Tomato ( starsky & hutch)

3) 78 T/A: Smoke

4) 2012 F150: Big Red

5) 2010 Raider ( Yamaha): Blue Thunder

6) 69 Corvette: Goldy

7) 2007 Freestyle: the "Lyle Wagoneer"

8) 2002 VUE: the "look"

9) 2014 Versa: no nickname yet...

10) 88 Mk-VII: the "Executive Hot Rod".

Old Boots? I hope that has nothing to do with smell. rofl

Neither my cars nor my guitars have names.

My wife and my cat have names. That's enough to remember. :)

The first day I owned my convertible I drove her to dinner. As I was getting out of the car a man leaned out his window and said "She sure is a beauty!" and that became her name, Beauty. My Mach 1's name goes along wither her color, Emerald. She is awfully beastly to be a "she" but my cars have always been "female" and my trucks have been "male". My 13 F150 Raptor's name is Brutus.

Old Boots? I hope that has nothing to do with smell. rofl
Many years ago, as a kid, I remember hearing somewhere that a cowboy's most valuable possession is his old pair of boots, because they take him everywhere he wants to go in his life and never gives up on him. When they get tattered, he just repairs them and keeps going.

Reminded me of my car: took me everywhere and when it needed it I just repaired it and kept going.

So, it became "Old Boots".

Last edited:
My Buell White Lightning is "Black Betty" It is also fairly rare as not many White Lightnings were produced in black.

My Harley is just "the sportster" Not too creative given her gold and white pattern and 1950's tank badges-perhaps I should call her Marilyn

The Mach 1 is just "The Mach 1"

Wife named it the "The Big Blue Boy Toy" a number of years ago and since SWMBO has the rule for the most part, that's the nickname.

Me, I refer to it as "73 Vert" with club and Cruisers.

Lots of names in the garage here: Blackie, Brownie, Bertha, Klawdia, Bluzie, Hellfire, Sound Chaser, Mobius, Heckfire, Phantom II, Screaming Yellow Zonker, Bobby and Mo Mentum.

My '71 Sportsroof was born brown but in the long (very long) run she'll be red and her nose will get "prettied up" with a Mach 1 grill, Jill just seemed to fit her.

I would call the 71 Mach-1 "The Horse" occasionally, but never really gave the car an official name.

My late Mom used to call it the "Coal Truck" because she didn't like riding in the car.

A young lady I was seeing at the time, who I used to kid that she liked my car more than me, gave my Mach-1 a name.

But there's no way I'm giving the internet, that kind kind of ammo...:p

Last edited by a moderator:
I stopped naming my cars because it seemed as if when I named one...it became an albatross. the last one was a 65 Malibu SS..."BLackBetty" loved the car but took FOR EVER to find all the parts....Well the Mach I has proven it isnt a name that causes that......It isnt named and the results are the same.

My wife name the 72 convertible MC stang, the MC stands for midlife crisis, bought it when I turned 50. Then I bought the 71 convertible, she just called me silly, I tried to call the 71 - His, and rename the 72 as Hers, then I could keep both. It didn't work, the 72 is up for sale.

Back