Where to start? 1971 Spring Special Mustang Build Thread

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome, Mason! That's good news about the floor pans - I was afraid I'd see a post of them with holes in 'em.

OK, now start a new Build thread and keep us posted. Sounds like this will be fun to watch.

And thank you for your service! :salute:

I don't get out of the marine corps for another 3 yrs so I'll be in Hawaii till then, that might be enough time to fix rust and new paint.
There is no doubt that it can be done and that with all the help and advice here that YOU can do it. Time is a big factor - that and initiative. The guys here seem more than ready to supply the encouragement.

Enjoy the process!

Mason,

Another member with a coupe parts car contacted me and he has many of the parts you need. I'm putting the pics here so everyone can see what you'd be working with if you buy these parts.

Here are the pics he sent.

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

006.JPG

005.JPG

He said the flat panel has a thin layer of Bondo and 2 rust holes near bottle caps in the pics... said might be better to weld a new flat steel panel. Said upper corners are nice as are lowers and rear quarter window section.

You'd still need the door and cowl.

So today I scored some hours in at the hobby shop. :) I started with the rear window because that's most important. I used a metal sander and sanded down all areas to see how far the rust went. Once that was done I cleared all dust off of the areas and then painted them with "Rust Bullet." I'll cut out then weld in the patch panels after they come in.

Here are some pics of my progress. What do y'all think?

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have this one

Does have some rot but not bad

If your interested I can dif into it more

Free - just cover shipping cost

040.JPG

039.JPG

041.JPG

042.JPG

Back