Why do we bother with 40 year old outdated cars?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Put a couple in your driveway and don't move them for a couple of months, you'll meet some neighbors. Lol
Don...got a big laugh from your post. Showed it to my wife and she said don't get any ideas...lol.

Jeff
I've met several of my neighbors who love my cars because it reminds them of the cars they had in their HS parking lot. There have been other neighbors who apparently don't like Fords and voiced that I have more than my fair share of them to our HOA. I guess they don't know I'm the VP of their HOA. ;)

I don't like fat steering wheels,

I don't like drive-by-wire,

I don't like plastic bumpers that disappear into the rest of the car's styling,

I don't like modern styling (think about it - the new Challenger is nice, but for the same cash, you could have the old one).

I don't like find another hood under my hood,

I don't like anyone else touching my car,

I don't like dealers,

I don't like miles of vacuum lines that aren't necessary,

I like carburetors,

I like simplicity,

I like to tinker,

I like old stuff,

I like bare-bones reliability.

Gentlemen...

...I like my '71 Mustang.

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
Because we loved builing models as kids. Just needed bigger ones!
Ding, Ding, Ding!! We have a winner! :D

Oddly enough, I've never had to do as much 'kit bashing' and fabrication as I have with my latest Full Scale Model Kit. rofl

I don't like modern styling (think about it - the new Challenger is nice, but for the same cash, you could have the old one).

I don't like dealers,

I like carburetors,

I like simplicity,

I like to tinker,

I like old stuff,

Gentlemen...

-Kurt
Nice list - my sentiments exactly. ::thumb::

But I also don't like:

- seeing myself coming around every corner

- seeing really messed up versions of my car parking next to me (Ricers)

- discovering the only cool accessories have "JDM" on them

- having 55 different name brands unrelated to the car itself displayed to make it cool

- making more power by adding stickers

- 30-series tires

- coffee can-sized fart cannons

- unpainted carbon fiber body panels as style points

- Classic Mustang 'snobs' who think the Mustang died after 1970

I do like:

- getting compliments and respect from people who like the stuff listed above

- getting compliments and respect from everybody who knows anything about cars beyond where the gas goes in

- being a part of this group, because we all have similar ideas about what these cars mean to us

- being a part of this group, because everybody gets along, shares knowledge, and encourages one another (without that, I'd be totally screwed)

About the only things I don't like about our cars:

- Not having as many reproduction parts available as pre-'71 Mustangs (it's gotta really suck for our Mustang II brothers)

- outward visibility to the rear on fastbacks (I don't ever want to scrunch my baby when backing up)

But like Microsoft always says, "They're not bugs... they're features." rofl

Otherwise - I LOVE my '71 Mach 1! (And all y'all's awesome rides as well) ::thumb::

- Not having as many reproduction parts available as pre-'71 Mustangs (it's gotta really suck for our Mustang II brothers)

- outward visibility to the rear on fastbacks (I don't ever want to scrunch my baby when backing up)
Try getting a reproduction anything for a '70s Lincoln, and you'll be in heaven with what we have available for the '71/73's.

Always helps to have one of these mirror lenses:

mustang_mirror.jpg

I can think of vehicles with worse rear visibility. We don't have it as bad off as some would like us to think.

-Kurt

Try getting a reproduction anything for a '70s Lincoln, and you'll be in heaven with what we have available for the '71/73's.

Always helps to have one of these mirror lenses:

mustang_mirror.jpg

I can think of vehicles with worse rear visibility. We don't have it as bad off as some would like us to think.

-Kurt
I'm actually planning on installing one of these babies: http://www.pyleaudio.com/sku/PLCM105/102-TFT-LCD-Rear-View-Mirror-Monitor--W-Back-Up-Camera--Night-Vision-and-Water-Proof-W-Built-In-Distance-Scale-Line

Just gonna clip it onto the rear view mirror, and leave it on all the time.

I'm actually planning on installing one of these babies: http://www.pyleaudio.com/sku/PLM102/102-TFTLCD-Rearview-Mirror-Monitor
Just gonna clip it onto the rear view mirror, and leave it on all the time.
Unfortunately, not legal in FL unless it's tied to reverse gear.

Too modern for my tastes, anyway. Wouldn't want the camera obscuring my YOM plate.

-Kurt
I actually updated the one I'm thinking of getting in my thread. I also d/l'd the manual, and it does have provisions to wire up to 'Reverse' (which is the recommended installation). My plan is to put a secondary three-way switch inline with the Reverse wire (input 1, off, input 2), so I can activate it when I need it, for Reverse-only, or off altogether, as opposed to only when going into Reverse.

I'd thought about it detracting from the overall appearance of the interior, but it doesn't seem 'too' distracting... and since I'm not restoring to completely original anyway, I think it's a worthwhile mod (more for safety, than cool-factor).

All,

I found my Big Jake's Cartoon that use to be in the daily news paper. It talked about all of today's cars that look the same and have all similar front and rear bumper designs. He stated that you had to do a DNA test to figure out what the make and model is. Well, our 1971 thru 1973 mustangs do not have that problem. Just one afternoon, while your mustang is parked in the drive way, while you sitting in a lawn chair, drinking a soda, water, or beer, maybe smoking cigarette, look down the side of your mustang and see some of the most beautiful body lines on an automobile. It makes you wonder what was running through the WW II pilots who flew the British Spitfires and the P-51 Mustangs. Just to stand next to it and rub your hands down the side of your machine. I has style and personality. You know it is a Mustang when you drive it down the road! The WW II fighter planes that I mention reminds me of the comparison with that they pilots must have felt when their propeller driven aircraft were obsolete to the new jet fighters. In all, they are still a joy to drive and reminisce of a by gone era!!

mustang7173

My 73 year old father asks me the same thing. He likes talking about the Model A he had when he was in high school- but seems to be happy he no longer has it. Although I have been told the story about how my grandmother sold it for him and sent him $100 his first semester of college

I'ts a bit strange to drive an american car overhere in Europe.

We pay ( converted ) about $ 8.68 for one gallon of gas.

My wife gets it , she drove a Chevy Malibu for years.

My daughter "Nova" ( 11 years old ) gets it , the first couple of words she spoke were all U.S. car related , the grin on her face when i took her for a spin in my 68 Mustang when she was still in a babyseat was priceless.

I bought a 68 Chevy Nova a couple of years ago, she knows that once this will be her car.

A few weeks ago she asked me if i was completely done with the work on the Mach1 , she realy likes to start the restoration on the Nova.

I'm blessed that my 2 girls do understand it.

JB

Because we loved builing models as kids. Just needed bigger ones!
Ding, Ding, Ding!! We have a winner! :D

Oddly enough, I've never had to do as much 'kit bashing' and fabrication as I have with my latest Full Scale Model Kit. rofl

I don't like dealers,

I like carburetors,

I like simplicity,

I like to tinker,

I like old stuff,

Gentlemen...

-Kurt
Nice list - my sentiments exactly. ::thumb::

But I also don't like:

- seeing myself coming around every corner

- seeing really messed up versions of my car parking next to me (Ricers)

- discovering the only cool accessories have "JDM" on them

- having 55 different name brands unrelated to the car itself displayed to make it cool

- making more power by adding stickers

- 30-series tires

- coffee can-sized fart cannons

- unpainted carbon fiber body panels as style points

- Classic Mustang 'snobs' who think the Mustang died after 1970

I do like:

- getting compliments and respect from people who like the stuff listed above

- getting compliments and respect from everybody who knows anything about cars beyond where the gas goes in

- being a part of this group, because we all have similar ideas about what these cars mean to us

- being a part of this group, because everybody gets along, shares knowledge, and encourages one another (without that, I'd be totally screwed)

But like Microsoft always says, "They're not bugs... they're features." rofl

Otherwise - I LOVE my '71 Mach 1! (And all y'all's awesome rides as well) ::thumb::
In resto mod of my 71 I have used some of those repro part, I don't know that having them available (at least body parts) is a blessing. Otherwise I agree with it all. I also like making power in our cars not just buying it off the showroom

You could always get a $13,000 Smartcar that probably wouldn't survive a gust of wind let alone a head on collision with itself.

Lots of good posts and points. Since I love these ol' cot's with huge engines I have learned to appreciate other people's hobbies. If somebody want's to hugg threes - feel free to do it. If somebody is willing to use 300.000 bucks for a boat - good for him. I'll spent my Euros ( = Dollars) to ol' Detroit iron. My wife understands it, she liked though more from the ol' bone stock Fastback Mustang I use to have, this Mach 1 is too loud & outrageos for her - so she can drive her Volvo. My three years old son diggs the Mustang, he's wearing earmuffs while we're driving and he know by the name & model all his Hot Wheels which are very FoMoCo oriented (not sure why though)... My youngest son 3 months doesn't understand anything else than her mothers breast's, good for him, I like the boobs too... :p

Back to the topic... My wifes friend visited us with her husband and children two years ago. Ofcourse the guys headed to the garage after some time. Husband had a tweaked out Peugeot Pininfarina Coupe and he's was dreaming from a Porsche. I decided to take him for a spin with the Mach 1. You should have seen his face once I waked up the 460 cid engine, with big headers and 3 1/2" exhaust - its quite a rummble. He was smiling and mumbling something. Drove the thing on 30 mph area and let the engine warm up, husband was laughing allready. Once we got to the highway, I floored the pedal, lost traction and were sidewaying and I geared for third. I wasn't happy for the performance but the husband was freakin out!!! He was yelling, smiling, laughing, mumbling and swearing - he was excited as it can get!!! I pulled over and took a better start and let the engine do what she can do best through first gear, second gear and third gear. Husband was doing exactly the same as in the first start. We drove about 5 miles and got back home garage.

He saw the light.

We got back inside the house, he was still very excited, smiling like a sun and kept talking from the Mach 1 for his wife. His wife looked at me like she was going to ask that "what did you do for my husband"??? That was hilarious! Haven't heard if he bought the Mustang instead of the Porsche.. well hope he did.

Latest posts

Back