Why do we bother with 40 year old outdated cars?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jerkdance.jpg

I grew up a poor black child..... then I got my first job....

the_jerk.jpg

we had to build anything we wanted to drive. So big brother left the farm and got a "public job". Bought himself a used 66 Mustang. Later after NAM he came back bought another one raced the heck out of it and I was the unwilling pit crew at 13. When I was 15 he tried his best to buy a 69 big block....he couldnt afford it....but we DID TAKE IT ON A TEST DRIVE!!!!:D:D

I "got it"

When I read this my knees almost buckled. You see I too think I've always had it ,or at least I can't remember not having it. one of my first memories is standing on my tippie toes just to get my chin over the top of a brand new 66 fastback. I can still feel the warm door top on my neck as I peered in to see that great wheel, gauge pod, and console gleeming in the bright sun. A few years later the early 70's musle cars ruled the streets of my town. Their owners were my heroes, and I've been hooked ever since. Yes it was a simpler time , but I think it was more than just youth that did it for me.

Happy super bowl everybody

When I read this my knees almost buckled. You see I too think I've always had it ,or at least I can't remember not having it. one of my first memories is standing on my tippie toes just to get my chin over the top of a brand new 66 fastback. I can still feel the warm door top on my neck as I peered in to see that great wheel, gauge pod, and console gleeming in the bright sun. A few years later the early 70's musle cars ruled the streets of my town. Their owners were my heroes, and I've been hooked ever since. Yes it was a simpler time , but I think it was more than just youth that did it for me.

Happy super bowl everybody
Nicely written, man. Happy Super Bowl!

I had it and get it.

I bought my 1st one when I was 19. 72 Sportsroof 302-3sp manual. Now 40years later bought a 72 Mach. Yes new cars are more relaxing to drive, but you must stay focused to drive ours as now the cars draw attention and usually other drivers get too close to get a look.

Alan L

Afterall it is a Hybrid, it burns gas and rubber:)

:D

That's a great new definition of Hyrid I haven't heard before. I'll have to use that pharase sometime!
Technically that would be a flex fuel, wouldn't it, but I guess its not as funny.

Does this mean I can park in those hybrid only parking spots?
That would probably work, not many people know what a 71/73 Mustang is anyway so why not pass it off as a hybrid! :D

I drove the 72 Q around all weekend as my daily driver. I meant to do a video & forgot to do it...having too much fun I suppose. I did hit 110 on the interstate for a brief run. 110 on I10, hey that's funny to think about.

Does anybody actually remember when they first 'got it?' I remember when I was about 3 1/2: I was looking out the upstairs playroom window and saw my neighbor's cool '67-69 Firebird and thinking it was a cool car. I even had a matchbox version of it, and when my step-father asked what kind of car it was, I told him it was just like my toy.

After that, the only toys I ever really wanted were cars or car-related: Hot Wheels, Matchbox, or Corgi miniature cars, and plenty of Legos to build little cities and stuff to play with them. I got some 'Girder & Panel' kits later, and built some massive skyscrapers to play with the cars, and even more Legos. Then I graduated to building model kits and it was all over after that - mods and custom paint galor... and even did the same to some of the old beat-up Hot Wheels and Matchbox cars.

So basically, it was 'game over' for me before it even really began. ;)

Since Don is grave digging this evening.. I'll update.

I own 5 vehicles. 4 have a V8. The earth cry's when I turn a key.
I sold the V6 explorer, bought a Grand Marquis. 5 vehicles, all V8.
haha, he's on a roll. At least nobody can tell you "shoulda had a V8"

on a different matter, can someone tell me why all the cars in the pixar animated movie "cars" are all v8's. To top it off, all the main characters are all old classics. This movie was targeted at young kids who you wouldn't think would relate to old classics and v8's. Maybe the old cars generally just had a special "mystique" about them which transcends time. Maybe this is why we love our stangs and throw buckets of money at them to keep them going. Our old clydesdales, in my opinion, have all the sleek timeless curves in all the right places and can easily hold their own against any classic from any era.

when i bought my mustang i was 19 and worked a dead end job, but i wanted the car so i put with it and took responsibility. if my car has taught me anything its to have patience and dilligience. yes my car is old and not exactly perfect, but you know what neither is wabi sabi- thats beauty through flaw alot has gone wrong before it went right but i regret nothing and i chalk it up to experience.

Since Don is grave digging this evening.. I'll update.

I own 5 vehicles. 4 have a V8. The earth cry's when I turn a key.
I sold the V6 explorer, bought a Grand Marquis. 5 vehicles, all V8.

A little post-Earth Day cheer?

Last edited by a moderator:
I definitely get it. My wife just rolls her eyes. My son, who is 1 1/2, will get it some day (I hope). But our cars dont have to be unreliable gass hogs with bad brakes and 40+ year old technology. Just like my '68 coupe. I have Global West suspension with "sport" springs front and rear, a modern 5-speed (Tremec TKO-600) and front and rear disk brakes. With Fox body era technology, I am planning a fuel injected 415w stroker with a Paxton Novi-2000 supercharger. No different than a build up Fox body but mine will just look a lot better and I don't have to worry about emission regulations. The only thing I am missing is anti-lock brakes. Something I really don't like anyway.

And when the time comes, I may or may not do something similiar with my '73 Mach-1. It will be as reliable and street friendly as I want it to be with a classic and timeless look that you just can't get with an import that boasts 2 liters and a soup can exhaust.

Fairly new to this, but since I have had the Mach for the past 6 weeks...

I have had three different neighbors who were out walking the dog or just getting some exercise stop by and chat about the car in the garage. I have lived in the same house for 20+ years and some of them had never even met. So can't wait until it is actually done and see what looks I get.

Jeff

Latest posts

Back