Why do we bother with 40 year old outdated cars?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got to love the sound of those early Mustang engines, here's mine.
Hey, that's familiar ground... :p

[]
Amazing that's the same road I did my clip on, it's only about 3 miles from my house and a great place to "blow out the carbon". Since you live in Tumwater you should consider joining our Mustang's West Club, we do club cruises and meet at Hawks Prairie Inn, first Tuesday of every month.

I get it.. My wife doesn't get it... My daughter doesn't get it... my boys do not get it. Too bad for them, maybe someday!?
Now Jeff I am going to call BS on this one, there is no way that you are the smart one of the family:p

I never said I was the smart one! LOL :D

I don't want anyone to misunderstand, I have a great wife. My family is supportive they just don't understand. My oldest son has a Jeep he loves and the younger son and I rebuilt the engine for his car and he felt the satisfaction that brings but they are definately not "car guys".

I get it.. My wife doesn't get it... My daughter doesn't get it... my boys do not get it. Too bad for them, maybe someday!?
Now Jeff I am going to call BS on this one, there is no way that you are the smart one of the family:p
I never said I was the smart one! LOL :D

I don't want anyone to misunderstand, I have a great wife. My family is supportive they just don't understand. My oldest son has a Jeep he loves and the younger son and I rebuilt the engine for his car and he felt the satisfaction that brings but they are definately not "car guys".

rofl Just playin Jeff from some of the mods I have seen you do I would have to guess that you are....................now about the shock tower braces:huh: :D

I know... I know! finishing a kitchen remodel and travelling for work. I didn't expect spring to be in January. :D

I didn't want folks to think I'm whining about the family. BTW all 3 of my kids are WAY smarter than I am. Just braggin' LOL

Amazing that's the same road I did my clip on, it's only about 3 miles from my house and a great place to "blow out the carbon". Since you live in Tumwater you should consider joining our Mustang's West Club, we do club cruises and meet at Hawks Prairie Inn, first Tuesday of every month.
The website says 1st Thurdays...?

The website says 1st Thurdays...?

Sorry, I always get those two days confused...they start with the same letter and are in the middle of the week.:blush:

Yep, our next meeting is this Thursday at 7:00PM, we normally have about 30-50 people show up, a lot of people show up early to eat dinner while waiting on the meeting to start, guest who might be interested in joining are always welcome. If you can make it just make a right turn as you walk in, then straight through the eating area to the meeting room in the South West corner of the building. They serve dinner, wine/beer in our meeting room. The wife and I show up about 6:15 and have cold hefeweizen chatting with folks before the meeting starts. We have members from 17-77 years old and Mustangs 64-2012 models, from all walks of life, all good people, hope to see you there.

Jim

hefeweizen HMMMMMM not heard that statement since I left Germany. I introduced hefeweizen (Wheat beer) to some of my frieds on a tdy trip back, needless to say the hefeweizen won:D
Yeah, Germany is where I acquired the taste for hefewiezen, spent 9 years in Germany as a young GI, thus the reason my wife's name is Jutta.;)

hefeweizen HMMMMMM not heard that statement since I left Germany. I introduced hefeweizen (Wheat beer) to some of my frieds on a tdy trip back, needless to say the hefeweizen won:D
Yeah, Germany is where I acquired the taste for hefewiezen, spent 9 years in Germany as a young GI, thus the reason my wife's name is Jutta.;)
When and Where?

Jeff, I hear you, I've got a couple of friends that don't get, in fact one of my co-worker's wife thinks it's cars like ours causing the world's climate to change, she told me so, she hates what it stands for. (She's one of those Prius drivers in the fast lane driving 3 miles under the speed limit to slow everyone down) She feels old cars should have to pass the same safety and smog requirements as brand new cars or not be allowed on the road. On the other hand my wife gets it, she loves the cruises and fully supports every dime we put into it, in fact she's the one who encouraged me to buy it in first place. Sure makes life a lot easier when your wife is fully on board.
Someone has been listening to too much advertising. A well maintained car isn't that heavy a polluter. Besides it is the ultimate in recycling, keeping stuff out of landfills by maintaining your vehicles. Afterall it is a Hybrid, it burns gas and rubber:)

When and Where?
I had 3 tours to Germany, 3 years each. First time in the late 70's "at a location I can't talk about", second in the 80's was Nürnberg and my last Germany assignment was early 90's to Heidelberg, lived in Mark Twain Village (the only military housing we lived in during my 3 tours). They kept sending me back to Germany because part of my initial training was going through the Defense Language Institute in Monterey CA for German language/culture studies.

When and Where?
I had 3 tours to Germany, 3 years each. First time in the late 70's "at a location I can't talk about", second in the 80's was Nürnberg and my last Germany assignment was early 90's to Heidelberg, lived in Mark Twain Village (the only military housing we lived in during my 3 tours). They kept sending me back to Germany because part of my initial training was going through the Defense Language Institute in Monterey CA for German language/culture studies.
Cool, I was at Spangdahlem AB from 88-91,LOVED IT. Guess mine was not so secretative. When we did our jobs they showed highlights on CNN:D

My 21 year old son has always questioned why I spend so much time and money on a 40 year old car with outdated, undependable technology and so prone to rust. I agree with him, from a “purely practicable” point of view it makes absolutely no sense to try and keep these things running. Compared to modern cars, they’re unreliable gas hogs, emergency braking or crash avoidance maneuvers takes 2 years off of your life, a long road trip can turn into a costly adventure and 90% of us will never get the money and time we’ve put into them if we were to sell. So why do we do it? There have been times I’ve wondered myself…but then I take it out on a cruise on a nice day and it provides an experience that takes me back to a time cars were more than just transportation, those of us laboring and spending on these cars are keeping a part of America alive that is fading fast. Computers didn’t exist when I was a young man, our television got 3 channels (and we only had 1), everything evolved around school, my part time job and my car. There were times I would take something apart on my car and put it back together just to occupy time and make sure it was perfect.

Yesterday my son and his 21 year old friend helped me clear several large tree limps that fell during our recent storm. We had an unusually nice day so after we finished the job I stunned the boys by tossing my son the Mach 1 keys (for the first time) and told them to take it for a spin. After a nail biting hour I heard the rumble of the car pulling into the garage. They both had ear to ear grins and my son said “Dad I get it”. That made all the labor I’ve put into the car worth it.
That is a great story. I think it is important to try to pass the appreciation to our kids. I believe too many dads use this hobby as a way to escape family, and miss the opportunity to use it to bring their family together. Once again, great story. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Got to love the sound of those early Mustang engines, here's mine.
Hey, that's familiar ground... :p

[]
That's my old stomping ground as well, before I moved to CO. I lived in Dupont but went to St. Martin's for college.

Afterall it is a Hybrid, it burns gas and rubber:)

:D

That's a great new definition of Hyrid I haven't heard before. I'll have to use that pharase sometime!
Technically that would be a flex fuel, wouldn't it, but I guess its not as funny.

Does this mean I can park in those hybrid only parking spots?

Latest posts

Back