Why do we bother with 40 year old outdated cars?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Please pass along to your "PRIUS" neighbor that my Mustang used all the fuel her prius will ever save this weekend and loved every minute of it

LOL...Don't worry I tweeked her, I went out of my way to point out it's so loud because it's blowing half burnt fuel out of the tail pipes and it's super not regular; from the horrified look on her face I think she thought I was telling the truth.

The old saying "Live Free or Die" comes to mind :D Man some of the posts on this thread are like reading poetry! Mark me down in the "gets it" column, I love cruising on the weekends in my junky old pickup (Mach isn't quite ready yet).

Awesome thread. I got it when I was 15. My brother gave me a 66 Chevelle that didn't run. Labored over that car for months to get it to run. Listened to my local ABA team on that AM radio and old fashioned radio shows the nights when the ABA didn't play. I learned a lot about that car and myself that year. I bought my 18 year old a $500 mustang last summer that didn't run. We got it running after more than a few unforeseen issues. But he gets it. He spent the day with a friend at the pick-n-pull today and is passing it on.

Jeff, I hear you, I've got a couple of friends that don't get, in fact one of my co-worker's wife thinks it's cars like ours causing the world's climate to change, she told me so, she hates what it stands for. (She's one of those Prius drivers in the fast lane driving 3 miles under the speed limit to slow everyone down) She feels old cars should have to pass the same safety and smog requirements as brand new cars or not be allowed on the road.
I rescued a '95 Honda Civic VX from a co-worker, rebuilt the engine, and drove it for almost 3 years getting 39mpg in town... driving it like I stole it. I had fun making it run, customizing it, driving something I'd resurrected, and laughing at the ricers when they wanted to race (because my Honda 'tastefully' fit the profile, after all).

- However -

The day I trailered my Mach 1 to the Auto Hobby Shop and unloaded it, I looked over at the little Honda parked on the other side of the compound and said, "Sorry little Honda - you are SO outta here." Even though I knew I wouldn't be driving the Rustang any time soon (this was 18 months ago, BTW), the Honda had just lost any cool points it ever had because I've wanted a '71 Mach 1 since sometime in the early '80s.

Whenever I think of everybody else driving their little disposable cars (Hondas, Kias, Hyundais, et al) all I can thing about is all those little hamsters in their wheels (from the Kia Soul commercial) and in my head picture the Mach 1 rolling by instead.

As for your friend with the Prius: watch her jaw hit the floor when you tell her that your Mustang gets 200% better gas mileage than my 1997 Dodge Ram 4x4... and 300% better gas mileage than my 1980 Jeep CJ-7 - and both of them together cost less than her Prius.

On the other hand my wife gets it' date=' she loves the cruises and fully supports every dime we put into it, in fact she's the one who encouraged me to buy it in first place. Sure makes life a lot easier when your wife is fully on board.[/quote']
In July 2010, I was Jonesin' for a cool 'muscle car' hot-rod, and a friend had a 2010 Camaro 2SS that was going to soon get repo'd. I was actually considering taking over the note. My wife talked me out of getting into a $600+ car payment and finding something I could restore and make my own. I had already been eyeballing the Rustang on Craigslist, and decided to get it. She was cool with it because she grew up with two older brothers who would take off on a Saturday morning and come home $100 poorer with some old pile on a trailer with the truck bed full of parts. A few weeks later, their 'pile' would be running and a few weeks after that, would be the envy of all their buddies. Then after they got bored with their hot rod, sold it and took off the next Saturday morning and started all over again.

She's been very supportive of my project, and while she may not fully 'get it' herself, she at least understands that I do. There are times when we both wish I would've waited for a drivable car, but we both agree that I'm too far into it to give up and it will all be worth it when it's all back together again.

I got it when I bought my 74 f100.... So many busted knuckles and soo much fuel gone.... But that 390 was a torque monster :-D

I get it.. My wife doesn't get it... My daughter doesn't get it... my boys do not get it. Too bad for them, maybe someday!?
Jeff, I hear you, I've got a couple of friends that don't get, in fact one of my co-worker's wife thinks it's cars like ours causing the world's climate to change, she told me so, she hates what it stands for. (She's one of those Prius drivers in the fast lane driving 3 miles under the speed limit to slow everyone down) She feels old cars should have to pass the same safety and smog requirements as brand new cars or not be allowed on the road. On the other hand my wife gets it, she loves the cruises and fully supports every dime we put into it, in fact she's the one who encouraged me to buy it in first place. Sure makes life a lot easier when your wife is fully on board.
I'm sure I read a long article about the "real" pollution "cost" of building and running a prius vs a hummer (1? 2?).

As it turns out, by the time you factor in the huge pollution created whilst mining and processing the lithium batteries, the hummer is the friendlier car over it's 300,000 mile lifespan ...or something to that effect. In fact if we all stopped buying new cars and kept driving our old cars, we'd be heaps better off.

Unless you think the mass pollution in the chinese steel smelters stays in China? It's all a political excersise misguiding those who are well intentioned.

Last edited by a moderator:
I Get It, I tryed not to get it for a while and spent a few years playing with motorbikes, mostly dirt/trail bikes, in an effort to limit/reduce the out going cash flow.. BUT, every time I saw and sweet ride roll/rumble past or parked somwhere... I would get a feeling of excitment mixed with Shit I wish that was mine, In the end I gave up the bikes, while I enjoyed rideing, I just wasn't into them like the others were, So I went back to what I loved an knew, Now I've got 2 mustangs and I'm looking for a third.

I Get It, I tryed not get it for awhile and spent a few years playing with motorbikes, mostly dirt/trail bikes, in an effort to limit/reduce the out going cash flow.. BUT, every time I saw and sweet ride roll/rumble past or parked somwhere... I would get a feeling of excitment mixed with Shit I wish that was mine, In the end I gave up the bikes, while I enjoyed rideing, I just wasn't into them like the others were, So I went back to what I loved an knew, Now I've got 2 mustangs and I'm looking for a third.
Hey Pegas, couldn't help notice the Prius across the street from the photo you posted of your Mustang in the gallery, they're every where!

I had no choice but to get it.:p Lets see I was born in 69.My mom was driving a 64 Fairlane Sport coupe 289 hipo 4 speed. In 70 she got her first new car a Red 70 Cougar 351c 4 speed.Dad sold the 60 chevy and took over the Fairlane. ( no more chevys at are house ) 73 Dad sold the Fairlane and got a new F250 ranger XLT with a 390. A year later Dad bought a new Datsun pick up to drive to work and not drive the F250 in the winter.75 my brother totaled Moms Cougar racing a cuda after school.:-/ He had his license less than a week.:huh: Well the 351c had to go some place so why not the Datsun pick up.:cool: Mom moved on to a Pinto and brother got his first 70 Mach 1. Then a new 76 Cobra II it was a cool looking car but a turd. :-/ Sold it for a 70 Mach 1 and he built a 68 Shelby clone. In 79 my brother sold the Shelby clone for 5k and bought a 70 Boss 302 for 3200 bucks. He still has it today. He sold the Mach 1 in 83 and got a new Mustang GT.Theirs more but that's how it started for me. So I had no choice but to get it. Believe me I Got IT Bad.

I get it and am lucky to have a family that have got it before me to pass on the enthusiasm. In the UK there has been a drive for more eco cars for a long time and have never had the big muscle cars you guys enjoy across the pond (apart from the imports we get to play with)

Out of interest take a look at this and remind anyone thinking a Prius is a good choice to do their homework first...

http://www.cafepharma.com/boards/showthread.php?t=206826

Hey Pegas, couldn't help notice the Prius across the street from the photo you posted of your Mustang in the gallery, they're every where!
MMMM bugger never noticed that little p.o.s in the back ground, Photo was taken at a mates place, he's in Florida...

I got it almost at birth. I was born into a Ford family. My mother worked at Ford World HQ in Dearborn and lots of family members worked on the lines for Ford. My first car was a 65 Honey Gold coupe with a 289. Restored that car all thru high school and sold it when i graduated and bought a new 1982 Mustang GT. Still looking to get another 82 GT someday. Ive had lots of stangs from 65 thru 2000 model years included the lastest purchase a 1972 Mustang Sprint Sportsroof. Dont think i'll ever lose "it"

I got it almost at birth. I was born into a Ford family. My mother worked at Ford World HQ in Dearborn and lots of family members worked on the lines for Ford. My first car was a 65 Honey Gold coupe with a 289. Restored that car all thru high school and sold it when i graduated and bought a new 1982 Mustang GT. Still looking to get another 82 GT someday. Ive had lots of stangs from 65 thru 2000 model years included the lastest purchase a 1972 Mustang Sprint Sportsroof. Dont think i'll ever lose "it"
Born into it too. My grandfather was a graduate of the Henry Ford Trade School when Henry Ford was teaching it. I have owned one non-Ford car in 35 years. Please let your Mom know these are in the lobby of the WHQ right now:

IMG_0018.jpg

IMG_0020.jpg

IMG_0021.jpg

Born into it too. My grandfather was a graduate of the Henry Ford Trade School when Henry Ford was teaching it. I have owned one non-Ford car in 35 years. Please let your Mom know these are in the lobby of the WHQ right now:

Awesome to see the best BOSSES ever. You can have those crazy 429's with the detuned shotgun motor stuffed into them - the Boss 302's and 351 were much better balanced and handling cars and looking thanks to Shinoda and probably names you would know more than us. ;)

Back