will fastback carpet fit a coupe?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick1973

Reaction score
My Car
1973 coupe, 460 c6, 3.73 possi
thats pretty much it. are they identicle or not? whats the difference?

nevermind XP i found my answer sorry guys

Last edited by a moderator:
My understanding is that it should fit fine - the floor pans are the same for all models, and the carpet stops at the firewall and under the rear seats as well.

Now... if you've moved the seat platforms (like I did), you'll have problems with the molded carpet, but otherwise, should be fine. ;) :D

I'm 6'5" and had to replace my floor pans & seat platforms... so I took the liberty of relocating the seat platforms back a couple of inches for some extra legroom. It created some challenges when it came to installing the ACC Mach 1 Jute-backed cut-pile (molded) carpet a few weeks ago. In order to mate up to the front of the seat platforms, it had to fall a little short on the firewall (which I made up the difference on the firewall with some extra black carpet I had from the package tray). As well, the rear footwells were a little tight, and I had to whip out the heat gun to make things lay down properly.

I only mentioned that for a little bit of tongue-in-cheek humor... I don't know many people who've actually moved their platforms. ;)

I'm 6'5" and had to replace my floor pans & seat platforms... so I took the liberty of relocating the seat platforms back a couple of inches for some extra legroom. It created some challenges when it came to installing the ACC Mach 1 Jute-backed cut-pile (molded) carpet a few weeks ago. In order to mate up to the front of the seat platforms, it had to fall a little short on the firewall (which I made up the difference on the firewall with some extra black carpet I had from the package tray). As well, the rear footwells were a little tight, and I had to whip out the heat gun to make things lay down properly.

I only mentioned that for a little bit of tongue-in-cheek humor... I don't know many people who've actually moved their platforms. ;)
I moved mine back as well. I think 2 1/2" if I remember right. Made a world of difference in leg room.

What did you do for carpet? Like I mentioned above, the ACC molded Jute-back stuff was a minor PITA to get it in, since the platforms didn't line up with the molded areas. :dodgy:

If I'm ever faced with recarpeting, I might be looking for a different solution (in cut-pile, though - I'm not a big fan of the old loopy stuff... I just remember my Mom's ol '70 Galaxie 500 with the big snag on the center hump... a whole row was missing and it looked like ass).

What did you do for carpet? Like I mentioned above, the ACC molded Jute-back stuff was a minor PITA to get it in, since the platforms didn't line up with the molded areas. :dodgy:

If I'm ever faced with recarpeting, I might be looking for a different solution (in cut-pile, though - I'm not a big fan of the old loopy stuff... I just remember my Mom's ol '70 Galaxie 500 with the big snag on the center hump... a whole row was missing and it looked like ass).
Eric, to be honest I cant remember what carpet I have in my car?? But it was molded slightly but not too bad. I was able to get it to lay down pretty decent under my seats and I believe the seam was right at my front seat bolts instead of underneath the seat. I only moved my drivers side back because its not too often im riding bitch in my own car LOL!!! Although my wife has brought me home from a family picnic or two in it!!! LOL ::beer::

Eric, to be honest I cant remember what carpet I have in my car?? But it was molded slightly but not too bad. I was able to get it to lay down pretty decent under my seats and I believe the seam was right at my front seat bolts instead of underneath the seat. I only moved my drivers side back because its not too often im riding bitch in my own car LOL!!! Although my wife has brought me home from a family picnic or two in it!!! LOL ::beer::
Nice! Mine's only 5'2" - she had a hard time with pedals Saturday with the seat all the way forward. Whoops. ;) rofl

The overlap wound up in exactly the same as yours - sounds like I did something right then. ::beer::

well im 6'2 and ive heard of people cliping an inch or so of height out of them but i hadnt heard of actually moving them lol. might be a good idea, my girlfriend (hopefully gonna be wife) is around 5'5 5'7ish so i dont think she will have to much trouble.... i dont think shell want to drive it for a long time tho.... its kinda still ugly ;)

Make sure you REALLY want to do that - first, it's actually a bit of work, and there is some structural benefit to having it located where it's at.

It's almost a little uncomfortable-feeling, since I've never been accustomed to having a car with as much legroom as I need (they're always lacking just a little). It's just a little weird.

I had to cut-down my seat platforms as well, since nobody currently offers proper fastback platforms. I bought some new ones from CJ Pony Parts, that we advertised as coupe/fastback platforms, but were actually for the coupes/'verts - sure, they'll fit into the fastback (all floor pans are essentially the same), but they're about 1-1/2" too tall. I think I managed to get about an inch removed while still maintaining the overall shape.

Finally, getting the molded carpets to fit is a challenge, as I mentioned before.

All things considered, I might've not done it knowing about the weird feelings, wife having issues reaching the pedals, and the carpet fitment problems.

Make sure you REALLY want to do that - first, it's actually a bit of work, and there is some structural benefit to having it located where it's at.

It's almost a little uncomfortable-feeling, since I've never been accustomed to having a car with as much legroom as I need (they're always lacking just a little). It's just a little weird.

I had to cut-down my seat platforms as well, since nobody currently offers proper fastback platforms. I bought some new ones from CJ Pony Parts, that we advertised as coupe/fastback platforms, but were actually for the coupes/'verts - sure, they'll fit into the fastback (all floor pans are essentially the same), but they're about 1-1/2" too tall. I think I managed to get about an inch removed while still maintaining the overall shape.

Finally, getting the molded carpets to fit is a challenge, as I mentioned before.

All things considered, I might've not done it knowing about the weird feelings, wife having issues reaching the pedals, and the carpet fitment problems.
I used the aftermarket platforms too. And I had to trim the crap out of them to fit. Way too high! but overall I am glad I decided to move them back. Way more comfortable than stock.

Do you have a full center console? If so, is it just me, or is there like, no room for error when putting your foot on the gas pedal?

I test-fitted my full console, and I have to be honest that I don't like how close to the gas pedal the leading edge will be. Being so big, I wear size 13-14s (depending on the shoe), and don't like such close proximity to everything down there. The brake pedal is close enough to the gas pedal as it is, but the console is just too close to the other side of the pedal as well - I envision damaging the console and scuffing my shoes in the long run.

I might wind up trimming it all back an inch or so, or maybe laying down the corner with a heat gun or something, if necessary.

Back