will this radio fit

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertable
302 v2 FMX 2.79 rear end
I currently have an AM/FM cassette player (shaft style), I have the original AM radio, I have a chance to buy an AM/FM 8-track from the late 70's early 80's.

will it fit, or will it need to be modified at all?

I can work around the wiring, but having it fit is what I want to make sure of first.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of different ones out there, have a picture?

am and am-fm bezels had a smaller opening VS am - track

Don, thats what I was worried about.

what I really want is just AM/FM radio Stock looking, and from a year with 4 speaker output, and I can then use a FM modulator to use my MP3 player,

here are the pictures of the one with the 8-track.

8track1.jpg

8track2.jpg

8track3.jpg

i have the mustang custom radio ipod with new speakers and amp andthe sounds quailty is real good

Hard to tell from the picture but it looks like it might fit, I have an orig Mustang AM w/ optional Mustang FM converter, also a Mustang AM/FM stereo and a vintage period correct aftermarket AM/FM 8 Track Stereo in my collection and they all fit the 71-73 stock bezel. That one you picture may fit as well Measure the distance between the knobs and l x w of the display area to compare to your orig bezel

Hard to tell from the picture but it looks like it might fit, I have an orig Mustang AM w/ optional Mustang FM converter, also a Mustang AM/FM stereo and a vintage period correct aftermarket AM/FM 8 Track Stereo in my collection and they all fit the 71-73 stock bezel. That one you picture may fit as well Measure the distance between the knobs and l x w of the display area to compare to your orig bezel
what is the "optional Mustang FM converter" does it connect to the AM radio? was it a Ford option?

what is the "optional Mustang FM converter" does it connect to the AM radio? was it a Ford option?
Yes it was a tiny fm unit that plugged onto the antenna then the plug from it plugged into the radio, it says MUSTANG on it.

I bought it from a Mustang collector who said he got it from a retired Ford dealer, he said it could be purchased back then if you only had an AM but later decided you wanted FM also

Don, thats what I was worried about.

what I really want is just AM/FM radio Stock looking, and from a year with 4 speaker output, and I can then use a FM modulator to use my MP3 player,

here are the pictures of the one with the 8-track.
That appears to be the same radio I put into my 71. I had an AM only radio that didn't work but located an AM/FM 8 track from a 73 that I installed. Like Don pointed out the Bezel opening needs to be larger for the 8 track. I cut out the tab on the opening of the bezel with a dremel and it fit perfectly.

Jim

Radio1.jpg

I saw where the cutout is, its the tab that has the part number on it, on the top half.

Now the person selling the radio through in an other twist, he doesn't know if it even works!!

so I guess its back to the drawing board.

or I just buy it and hope it works, its $50 is it worth at price?

I don"t have the original knobs since the PO had a cheapo CD player in it when I bought the car.

The buttons are chrome.

Attached is a lousy picture taken with my cell.

I bought the one below and fits perfect.

It is vintage correct and says it is a Ford factory replacement unit.

Oh, yeah, one other minor thing, it's BRAND NEW!!!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-FORD-MUSTANG-INDASH-AM-FM-8-TRACK-NIB-LAST-1-/200849453537?pt=Car_Audio_Video&hash=item2ec38f71e1&vxp=mtr
will the factory knobs fit? also are the buttons chrome or black, I cant tell from the picture.
RCA am-fm-8-track.JPG

Back