Wilwood brake kit wil-140-13477 from summit. Review/install

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm,  Looking at this picture in the instructions, it looks like its one way for disc spindles and the other way for drum spindles.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see that now. Damn they need to clarify their instructions.

Do you think it will make any difference? I sure dont want to tear all that apart and redo it, especially with all those bolts in with red loctite. I had to break one of those loose yesterday and the only way I could get it loose was with an impact.

If your brake line is long enough or get longer hoses, but check at full turn both ways. Don't feel bad it happened to me also I figured it out when the hose was too short.

I emailed wilwood and told them about this. Hopefully I will get a reply soon. Last question took 3 days to get a reply. They must only have 1 guy answering email.

I went ahead and ordered a new hardware kit for the caliper brackets. I dont know if their lock nuts are 1 time use or not, but I ordered a new bolt kit anyway.

That sucks that I have to re-do it all, but hopefully wilwood will correct their instructions so others wont make the same mistake.

Well hopefully this thread helps you out some. I love the kit, one of the best I've seen.

This has helped a lot. Thank you for posting. Now I just need to find the spare time to get it done along with about a dozen other things that need done on the car.

@73pony. Love the color of that coup. What size are your wheels and what size tires are you running?

Hmmm,  Looking at this picture in the instructions, it looks like its one way for disc spindles and the other way for drum spindles.

Interesting. The design of these brackets has changed. I installed the same 140-13477 in 2015 and the brackets are different. Here is an excerpt of the instructions. First, you can see they have both pictures properly oriented. It is a shame that in the new instructions they show the left and right side because that is very confusing (Edit: the new instructions actually say both are R/H). Second, you can see that the bracket was different. The new ones appear cast while the old ones are machined out off a plate. 

Well those pictures make it clear. Damn. The new brackets are great. They do look cast.

@73pony.  Love the color of that coup. What size are your wheels and what size tires are you running?
Thanks.

Wheels are 17x9. Rear tires are 245/45 and fronts are 215/45. I will prob try to squeeze something a little wider in the back next time as even with the caltacs installed and 4.5 leaf springs traction is still an issue, or it could just be the way I drive. :)

Were back on the project this weekend. We made some decent progress yesterday. We took off the whole passenger side and got it back on correctly. All buttoned up on that side now. Then we cleaned on the passenger side for an hour scrubbing. Then we ran out of daylight.

So back on it today, We have the caliper bracket bolted on and are in the process of working out the line position right now. My son told me to go inside for 10 minuites while he gets the line bent in the right direction. He knew this was going to be difficult so he told me to leave so he doesnt murder me with a hammer. lol He has a short fuse.

Once he gets that done we will be ready to put the rotor on the drivers side and connect the caliper. Then we will be ready to start on the master cylinder and brake pedal bracket. Theres really going to be some cussing going on when we get to that.

Well I for one have my Wilwood calipers installed towards the front. Car is not on the road yet and I can swap them around with no issues but will wait until Wilwood answers your email that you sent. Please post their response here for everyone else's benefit. I remember when installing thinking to myself that it seemed kinda strange going on toward the front but thought that I read here that they are forward mounting calipers. My setup was all four drum brakes as well. Looking forward to the response Wilwood sends.

Tom

Brake switch is out, master disconnected from the pedal.

Ran out of daylight.

I also got the x brace off the drivers side.

Now I have clear access to the master cylinder.

Since it will be dark when I get home now, we will pick back up next weekend with the brake pedal and booster/master install.

@vintageman

I don't think they are going to reply. Its been well over a week. So I took them off and put them back on correctly.

Thanks for the response and update brother. Wilwood is terrible with email responses, I emailed them 3 or 4 times asking a question and after finally sending them an email stating that their customer service after a sales sucks, they responded saying they never received the other emails. I left mine in the forward position as well, do you have any pics of how you routed the brake lines, I still have not done that. Thanks again.

Tom

Back