Window Leak

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Valhallo

Reaction score
My Car
73' Grande
A year ago I had one of my neighbors who used to do windshields install mine, but unfortunately he installed in such a way that there were leaks along the top. He said he had never installed a rear window like the one in my coupe, so he gave me some suggestions and I did it myself. Unsurprisingly it leaks as well.

I figured it was time to go get someone who knows what they're doing, so I went to my local automotive glass shop (TechnaGlass), and they set me up for an appointment the next day. When I returned 5 minutes early for my appointment the next day, I was told that I would have to wait 45 minutes while they satisfied a whiny customer in her Mercedes who had shown up 2 hours late. So I waited. :dodgy:

An hour later I finally noticed the Mercedes drive out and my car pulled in. One of the guys walked over to my car and started inspecting my windows. He then beckoned another guy over. A minute later one came over to me to give me the news, telling me I had a bad, cracked gasket, and I would need a new one. I told him this was incorrect, as the gasket is less than a year old. At this point, I am also wondering how he determined this, because my chrome trim was still in place.

The glass guy tells me he's at a loss, because he works with new cars, and doesn't like to deal with gaskets, and he let's me know that he doesn't really want to work on my car because any fixes he might be able to come up with would likely be temporary or not work at all.

My last question is to ask him if there's really nothing he might be able to do, and he says that there isn't anything he's willing to do for fear of "making a mess of the car." At this point, if he's not confident enough in his skill and he didn't care enough to look at the window enough to tell if it's cracked or not, I don't really want him doing anything to it.

Now I've got to figure out what to do. Before I installed the rear window, I filled both sides of the gasket with some 3M black Auto Bedding and Glazing compound, and I used the same in an attempt to plug the leaks in the windshield, but neither helped. I guess I'll just try shooting more of the stuff in there. :s

Did you check for pinholes in the channel? Mine had those, someone shot a bunch of sealant in the channels but since there were pinholes the sealant didn't help.
Nah, I didn't even look. I'll have to check tomorrow.

Back