windshield removal

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got most of it scraped off with the putty knife and a screwdriver. Already got it doused with WD-40. I'll also try the goo gone, of course knowing my luck the combo of goo gone and residual WD-40 will probably explode.

I got most of it scraped off with the putty knife and a screwdriver. Already got it doused with WD-40. I'll also try the goo gone, of course knowing my luck the combo of goo gone and residual WD-40 will probably explode.
I did mine a few months back. To date it was the messied thing I've had to do on the car. I took the wd40 advice too and it really helped. Not looking forward to all the underside and apron tar that needs to come off. I like the freeze idea. Maybe Ill call a glass install place and see what they use.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did mine a few months back. To date it was the messied thing I've had to do on the car. I took the wd40 advice too and it really helped. Not looking forward to all the underside and apron tar that needs to come off. I like the freeze idea. Maybe Ill call a glass install place and see what they use.
Ya, that stuff doesn't come off your hands too easily. Still trying to break the habit of not wearing gloves. I got all the undercoating off the underside of the car but the driveshaft tunnel was almost impossible to get a putty knife in there. I bought a cheap needler/scaler from Harbor Freight and that seems to work pretty well, but very noisy.

How does or will the WD-40 affect the new adhesive, will is cause it not to stick properly?
I think that's what the break cleaner is for, to remove that residue? My car is a long ways away from replacing the windshield. I'll be stripping all the paint out of that area anyway so no worries there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back