WHAT'S IN A NAME

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you discribe your car

• Total voters
Reaction score
My Car
1972 MACH 1
2019 F150
The words getting around about my car. I have a question to ask of the group. I am proud of my car as I have done all work on it to date.

Here's my question. When talking to other car enthusiast, I say I own a Mach 1 instead of a saying a Mustang. To me that means classic.

What say you?

P.S. Don't mean to leave out non Mach members

Alan L

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say Mach 1 and if they looked confused then add Mustang.

You might want to clarify your year too, as there were the Mustang II Mach 1's and the 2003/2004 Mach 1's also.

when buying clevo parts and the person behind the counter asks out of curiosity what's if from. I just tell them it's just an old ford I'm working on.
:D:D

I like the term Mach I, and if they look confused, add the Mustang part. I can't think of anyone age 40 or older who wouldn't know what a Mach I is, right?

Just my 2 cents.

when buying clevo parts and the person behind the counter asks out of curiosity what's if from. I just tell them it's just an old ford I'm working on.
So true. When I 1st started getting parts at local parts store the count person ask WHAT'S a MATCH 1 what kind of car is that. Walked out right than knowing I would'nt get the right parts.

Alan L

Some folks think all 71-73s are Mach 1s.
Mine are. :p

I say Mach 1 and most people my age or older get it.
Do you refer to them by color or ?:cool:
Good question. Yes but the color is not always enough since I have 4 red stangs & 3 blue stangs. :D

Here's the name breakdown I typically use for the stangs:

Red 4-speed

Red C6

Red parts car - mostly still whole

Red GT

The 65

Andrew's grabber blue from 72 (just fun to say it long like that)

Liam's blue car

The 73

Margarita - the legend lime 05 b/c it looks like a margarita color

Rust bucket - copper color parts car, currently chopped in half with only a few parts left to scavenge

Yellow parts car - RIP but all the parts are now in my garage

Where it gets confusing for me is in the garage b/c I have five V8 engines in there on stands or on the floor and 3 transmissions. I have no naming convention for them and have to think every time which engine came out of which car, etc. Somehow the engines multiplied and I have more engines than I have cars that need engines. Spares are good though. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
About 2 weeks ago I saw a 72 coupe sitting in a small used car lot. So I drove my 73 convert over to take a look. The young salesman was very interested in my convertible. He said that was a nice Mach 1. I nicely explained to him about the different models of the 71/73's. The one he had for sale was actually a Grande, but someone had taken the badges off.

I have the opposite problem. A lot of people, when seeing my car for the first time, comment that it's a Mach1. I politely explain that Ford never made a convertible Mach1 (even though they do look similar).

+1 to that...And usualy most semi informed folks come up and ask me if my car is a 69 mach 1 ;)

I use Mach 1...If its a duck its a duck!! .hehe..Plus the Mach 1 name gets a bit more attention than just Mustang around car circles"on the most part"...And it should sence most people remmeber the Mach 1 for being flashy and attention hog..lol

Since I got a new mustang I now refer to them as the Red car and the Black car. People call my car a Mach 1, hell, I call it a Mach 1. I know it isn't really, but it had Mach 1 stripes on trunk for a long time. So that is just what it became known as in my community.

Back