I have a rebuilt 429 "N" code from a `70 Torino that I want to install into my 72 Cougar. I also have the C6 out of the same Torino, but it is a column shift trans. I really need some help to figure out what I`d need to change on the C6 to make it a floor shift for my Cougar. Is this at all possible? What do I need for the linkages? Are any of the linkages from the FMX usable? Are any of the linkages available? Do I have to keep the lockout that goes to the steering column? I'm sure most if not all of these questions have been asked a million times before but I could really use the help. Thanks very much for any information.

Mike

I have a rebuilt 429 "N" code from a `70 Torino that I want to install into my 72 Cougar. I also have the C6 out of the same Torino, but it is a column shift trans. I really need some help to figure out what I`d need to change on the C6 to make it a floor shift for my Cougar. Is this at all possible? What do I need for the linkages? Are any of the linkages from the FMX usable? Are any of the linkages available? Do I have to keep the lockout that goes to the steering column? I'm sure most if not all of these questions have been asked a million times before but I could really use the help. Thanks very much for any information.

Mike

Here is some info on how I did it. http://www.460ford.com/forum/showthread.php?t=162057

You can use the FMX shifter but you need to fab a linkage.

73 conv. 460, D0VE large valve heads, Performer RPM manifold, Voodoo 227/233 cam, Holley 950 HP carb, C6 trans, 3.25 trak-loc.

Well, They are our cousins! But, yes, it is for mustangs!

Here is a good site for Cougars.

http://www.westcoastclassiccougarinc.com/index.php

Thanks!

mustang7173

Thanks,

mustang7173 🇺🇸

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway" -- John Wayne

I wasn't looking to cause any problems, just trying to get useful info from people who have given this a shot. I've been on the Cougar sites for a while and not many have done this conversion. In the past, whenever I googled anything about 429 conversions I more often than not ended up being led back to this site. TommyK: thanks for the info, I'll check it out.

I thought this was a '71-'73 Mustang forum,

or am i missing something?

Greg:huh:

Crownvic.net includes Grand Marquis and Lincoln Town Cars...

Our luxury cousins need some horsepower help too. :D

1973 Mach 1 Q code 351 4V, 9A paint, standard interior, 3.50 rear, C6 trans.

I wasn't looking to cause any problems, just trying to get useful info from people who have given this a shot. I've been on the Cougar sites for a while and not many have done this conversion. In the past, whenever I googled anything about 429 conversions I more often than not ended up being led back to this site. TommyK: thanks for the info, I'll check it out.

No Problem:)!

As inferred, for the respective years, a LOT of the Cougar and Mustang parts are interchangeable.

I did this conversion (N Coded Torino with column C6) for my 1973 Grande. As to parts, I simply told folks I was working on a 1971 C or J (429Cj?SCJ) Mustang. The link Tommy gave you is "right on" the money as to what you need to do.

Please don't hesitate to post up but any questions on your Cougar might receive "quicker" responses under the "Other Vehicles" Forum of this Site. You don't have to "own" a 1971 - 1973 Mustang to participate and we do have folks on the Site who are certainly willing to assist you with what you are doing with your Cougar:).

BT

Do the RIGHT thing.

I thought this was a '71-'73 Mustang forum,

or am i missing something?

Greg:huh:

It's pretty much the same car under the hood.

Why be so exclusive?

1971 Mach1

351C-4v

C6 is history-->>now TKO-500

As inferred, for the respective years, a LOT of the Cougar and Mustang parts are interchangeable.

I did this conversion (N Coded Torino with column C6) for my 1973 Grande. As to parts, I simply told folks I was working on a 1971 C or J (429Cj?SCJ) Mustang. The link Tommy gave you is "right on" the money as to what you need to do.

Please don't hesitate to post up but any questions on your Cougar might receive "quicker" responses under the "Other Vehicles" Forum of this Site. You don't have to "own" a 1971 - 1973 Mustang to participate and we do have folks on the Site who are certainly willing to assist you with what you are doing with your Cougar:).

BT

Sorry, I wasn't familiar with the Forum rules on this one.

Greg.:)

:whistling: LORD, MR FORD - JERRY REED

Absolutely!

mustang7173 ::welcome::

BT

72survivor,

You might need to find a busted C6 from a Mustang and or locate the parts themselves. The "F " code is for Mustangs.

osgvv7.jpg

2mg582c.jpg

2qntag6.jpg

Source: Ford Motor Master Catalog

This might help.

mustang7173 :D

Mike

Thanks,

mustang7173 🇺🇸

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway" -- John Wayne