INTERMITTENT WIPER SETUP

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I picked up an aftermarket Scott Drake intermittent switch from NPD (P/N 17A553-6B) for $65. Works like a champ.

As an OE part, I would certainly think it should be worth more than a repop unit. ;) :D

The intermittent wiper switch was Mustang/Cougar specific to the 71-73 models. With that being a little rarer part I've seen prices from $90.00 to $200.00. The governor is a little easier find. It could also be sourced from a 73-79 F150-350 or a 78-79 full size Bronco. I've seen an average price of $50.00 for the governor. As Don C stated you'll find Craig's list offerings at a little cheaper price.

Just another point to add to this. AMC used the same governor and switch in their early 70's models. Growing up in AMC's hometown I went to the local parts yard and pulled a set-up out of a car and still have it installed today. Not an original item on the car, but like the convenience if I am ever unexpectedly caught in a shower. Hope that doesn't happen.

You can see the governor handing down in this before disassembly picture.

72 Mustang 102.jpg

71-73 Mustang movie spotting! One of the cable stations is currently showing the movie "Flash of Genius" which is about Robert Kearns and his legal battle against the Ford Motor Company when they developed an intermittent windshield wiper based on ideas the inventor had patented. In the end he wins a judgement against Ford & Chrysler.

So for this forum, the interest may be the movie uses and shows 71 Mustangs for Kearn's discovery of Ford's introduction of the intermittent wiper function.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys I came across a working intermittent wiper setup what do think this is worth ?
Considering what wiper switches alone cost, I'd put a value of 125 on your unit.

Back