hood hinge replacement

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 conv. 250 inline 6 black int. orange paint
[url=https://ibb.co/ifut7w][img]https://preview.ibb.co/dHY9fG/IMG_0824.jpg[/img][/url]
has anyone replaced the hood hinges ? what brand is good ? have you used the GOODMARK brand hinge seem to be a lot out there for sale has anyone changed the hinge one at a time alone or would it be a very hard thing to do without damage to the car ? thanks NORMAN

Do a search of the forum. I know last year one of the members installed aftermarket repo hinges and destroyed his new hood when he tried to close it. Hood bent because the hinges were too tight and springs too strong. The hinges suck I have heard. Just find a good set of used ones if you cannot I probably have some or can get them. I sold the flat springs to a member and he did not take the hinges.

David

Having owned three of these cars, I have found that the hinges can be bent just by pulling "down" vertically with a lot of force. I personally "push" my hood toward the cowl while simultaneously pulling down. I've replaced hinges on two of my cars due to the previous owners trying to close them improperly.

I have seven and no issue. Someone must have painted the hinges instead of phosphate coating which is like a lubricant. That is why Ford uses it on hinges and hood latches to prevent sticking. Also wrong springs will make hard to close. A little lube on the joints also. Should be round springs on standard hood and flat spring on NASA hood.

David

Do a search of the forum. I know last year one of the members installed aftermarket repo hinges and destroyed his new hood when he tried to close it. Hood bent because the hinges were too tight and springs too strong. The hinges suck I have heard. Just find a good set of used ones if you cannot I probably have some or can get them. I sold the flat springs to a member and he did not take the hinges.

David
Hey David, that was the car I was working on last year.  The hinges were binding up really bad and bent the hood. They were the premium ones from CJ pony parts....... not so premium.

David
Hey David, that was the car I was working on last year.  The hinges were binding up really bad and bent the hood. They were the premium ones from CJ pony parts....... not so premium.
Yes it was and that sucked for sure.

David

My hinges were very difficult to close when I bought the car from the PO also. He tried to tell me you need to push hood back and down at the same time. Totally wrong!! The hinges were painted & not phosphate coated, so like David said, they need a little lubrication.

So I took a Q-tip with some penetrating oil on it and applied a very small amount to the pivot points, & aligned the hood correctly. It made a night and day difference. I can now close my hood easily with one hand. Just don't over do it with the lubrication.

While my 73 opens the hood smoothly, stays open firmly and closes smooth and easy.

The 71 however is way too easy, and it would close on itself by the smallest vib on the car (the back of my head knows a lot about this).

I know I could change the springs and hope it's fixed once I install them.

Instead I wonder if I could not better keep these originals hinges, try to press the bearings/rivets so they'd get that little extra stiffness they need.

Anyone tried this? Recommendations?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the premium set from CJPP in my car right now and they are working fine, I even have the Ram-Air in my hood and it stays open, maybe it's just a buy and try thing. I rock my hood left and right slightly while pulling down and it works perfectly.

I purchase an extra set hood hinges years ago and had them power coated. They looked really nice, however, the hood never closed exactly the same. Still have the originals hinges from my 73 Mach I.

Back