Is this a 73 inner axle?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vinnie

Project manager "Project AmsterFoose"
7173 Mustang Supporter Member
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Grande 351C 2V, built on the very last production day (July 6, 1973) for Grande's.
Howdo,

To figure out which rear drum to disc upgrade kit to buy I had to check out the axle flange. When removing the drum I did not recognise the axle flange nor did I recognise the axle retainer plate from all the pictures I had seen online and in any books I got on hand.

1) Why are there 3 holes in my axle flange? I thought they had just one?

2) Why is the front of the axle flange not flat? All the ones I saw were flat and had dimples in them for identification...

3) My retainer plats looks rectangular. Again, none of the retainer plates I saw looked like this.

I did Identify that my outer axle is a ford 9". Are the axle and retainer plate standard?

Thanks
Vincent.

IMG_4622.JPG

IMG_4627.JPG

Well, not to cause an argument or heated discussion, but I beg to differ. One hole, I assume the larger one, is to access the retainer nuts.  In this case the extra holes may be for balancing, but that seems a bit extreme that the axle flange would be that far out of balance to need two holes drilled, large ones at that. On mine, a 71, there is only one larger hole either side, so no, they don't all have them unless of course that is a 73 thing once again. If so please accept my apology and I stand corrected.

Another thing I noticed in Vinnie's pictures is, there is not the little plate at the end of the parking brake link bar spring that was discussed in an earlier post by myself. Not to hijack Vinnie's post here, but it begs the question, were these plates fitted to all, but were often not reinstalled by mechanics when brakes were serviced? I wonder!

Back