Electric choke wiring question

Go to solution Solved by Danno,

Wiring the electric choke to my Motor craft 2100.

I WAS going to go to the "S" terminal on the alternator like I did on my '66, but the lug is a push on type with a covered connector, so that won't work, and I don't really want to start splicing any wires into the charging system, ( followed the white wire down to the vr harness at the vr connector white wire).

Thinking of "maybe" going to my temp plug on the intake manifold?  Not too sure if I want to run a wire from the choke to the fuse block as I've seen suggested, but that'd be do able I guess.

I'm also wondering if 14 guage wire is ok? Thanks.......

Simple solution is to push your coil feed wire through the boot next to the white/black stripe wire and solder it to the side of the push on connector. 14GA is plenty large. 

Another option, but one that will be hot all the time the key is on, is the red w/yellow hash that powers the throttle position solenoid. 

• Like 1

I don't think I have a TPS. Would going to the windshield wiper motor power wire be ok? The wire through the boot idea

is good too, except I'm not a good solderer, LOL! I know my limits............

The hot all the time wire that runs to the wiper motor is protected by a 6 amp circuit breaker in the switch. Running the wiper with the choke also drawing power may be enough to pop the breaker.

Sounds like now is a good time to practice soldering.

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.”

--Albert Einstein

4 hours ago, Danno said:

I don't think I have a TPS. Would going to the windshield wiper motor power wire be ok? The wire through the boot idea

is good too, except I'm not a good solderer, LOL! I know my limits............

All 71-73s have the wiring for the throttle position solenoid in place. Your 72 should be in the engine gauge harness by the carburetor on the driver's side - circled. The square is the plug that connects to the engine bay harness behind the intake. 

72_gauge_harness.thumb.JPG.7bbf7db7b6705398fd84ce29c72f30b1.JPG

• Like 1