What did you do to your car today?

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I see more and more various people getting the johnson and johnson vaccine. This touches close to home for my family. My oldest daughter works for Grand River Aseptic in Michigan. Her job is basically

Today, I took Frank out to get his annual inspection for registration, and decided that since it was such a nice day, I’d stretch the ride home out a bit and swung by the Vietnam Memorial at the airpo

Well I started today with the goal of getting the leaf springs off to replace the bushings. The bolts won that battle, but I got a case of the "since I'm here"s and ended up stripping and painting the

Posted Images

So I finally got to one of my pet peeves regarding the 73 side decal today. I never liked the way the decal is cut to give room around the front side markers. In doing this it actually makes the side marker stand out by having the body color around it. It just looks so generic to me.

I wiped it down with wax and grease remover, taped it up and sprayed it with 4 coats of black plasti dip. I think it's a much better look and since it's plasti dip, it's not etched in stone.

I've blacked out a few other areas on my car and am impressed with the durability of the plasti dip.

side_marker_1.jpg

side_marker_2.jpg

side_marker_3.jpg

Don't be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic! ::thumb::

Today we drove around town with the new 4.11 gears, Since we drive at 60 mph or less all of the time we went with that ratio. By driving around town today it feels like we made the right choice with the 4.11's :)

351w - Ford racing GT40X 178 cc aluminum heads - Ford racing(crane) 1.7 roller rockers - Comp Cams 280H magnum cam .544" / .544" lift - ARP hardware - hedman longtubes - magnaflow exhaust with X pipe - Duraspark - MSD digital 6al box - MSD TFI coil - optima red top battery - tuff stuff 140 amp alternator - weiand stealth intake  - edelbrock 1406 600 carb  - march pullies and brackets - Be cool fan controller - derale electric fan - FMX trans - motive 4.11 gears - traction lok - lakewood traction bars.                                            

So I finally got to one of my pet peeves regarding the 73 side decal today. I never liked the way the decal is cut to give room around the front side markers. In doing this it actually makes the side marker stand out by having the body color around it. It just looks so generic to me.

I wiped it down with wax and grease remover, taped it up and sprayed it with 4 coats of black plasti dip. I think it's a much better look and since it's plasti dip, it's not etched in stone.

I've blacked out a few other areas on my car and am impressed with the durability of the plasti dip.

Nice!

Stang1.jpg

^ +1^

73 ragtop, 1999 Mustang Bright Atlantic Blue Paint, Phoenix Engine 302-335HP,  Edelbrock Carb & Performer manifold; c4 with 2000 stall and shiftkit; 3:55 auburn limited slip differential, Hedman shorties; Car Chemistry Exhaust

Classic Air; Tilt Steering Wheel; 1999 Chrysler Sebring bucket Seats ; power windows;

Dropped the transmission. Pulled the smoked POS clutch and flywheel. Prepped the new Ford Billet Steel flywheel and Ram clutch for install. Got tired since I’m fighting a sinus infection in the middle of summer (wtf). Should have it all back together on Sunday, got honey do list tomorrow. :(

73 Grande H Code. Headman long tube headers, T-5 Transmission, 3.70 Traclok, Lowered 1" all around, Aussie 2v heads w/ 2.19 intake, 1.71 exhaust, screw in studs, full roller cam 608/612 lift 280/281 duration LSA 112, Quick Fuel 750 CFM double pumper, AirGap intake.

- Jason

082-hot-rod-power-tour-2017-1970-1970s.jpg

Last evening, empty the Toploader , removed the  H-pipe  and tubes, drive shaft out.

Next will be to remove  the counter cable,  unplug  connector (reverse gear), then will be reday to pull out the Toploader for a complete check.

IMG_20180720_185700.jpg

IMG_20180720_200743.jpg

IMG_20180720_200813.jpg

IMG_20180720_200822.jpg

IMG_20180720_185543.jpg

Mustang, beer and rock'nroll

side_marker_1.jpg

side_marker_2.jpg

side_marker_3.jpg

That is the way they came from the factory with the black. I know the sales brochures show both ways as always changes were made before SOP. My car is one owner and they sprayed the back paint around the marker light opening them put the stripe on and the marker light housing was also black. I have talked with several original car owners and theirs were black also. Not found an original owner car that was not. The paint does peel from the original because they did not sand the area. They do look much better when correct. Here is pic of original you can see the paint peeling off the fender. The stripes on original cars are all crooked and out of place also.

David

100_2756.jpg

100_2757.jpg

100_2764.jpg

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

Ever since I got the 73 H code vert from California it has always ran on the hot side. The PO had put cam in and I have no idea of the spec.. Also added Eldebrock Performer 4-V to 2-V heads with a Holley 4-V carb. There is also MSD ignition. I looked for 2 hours and could not find my timing light, lol. It is probably hiding in plain site. I had backed off on timing some when last out but did not seem to make a difference. So yesterday before going down town for the cruise night and street dance I pulled the radiator off and put in the one I have for my Q code build. Had been cleaned so nothing in the tubes. Put in 50 - 50 antifreeze and distilled water.

I had already put new pressure cap on and I changed the thermostat out to a NOS Stant that I know is correct for the Cleveland. Hoses are new and not collapsing.

So I drove the 6 miles to town and sure enough it is right there almost to the H on the gauge again. It does not blow out water until you turn it off.

I am starting to suspect that the PO put the head gaskets on backwards. On a 302 / 289 you can pop the core plug out of the front of the head to check if correct but I know of no way to verify if correct on Cleveland. Does anyone know of a way to check without pulling the heads? I have fixed a couple 289 that had them put on backwards by Chevy mechanics that thought it did not matter which way they went. Same thing with them ran hotter and blew water out when you turned off.

Oh BTW I did do blown head gasket check with the CO2 checker on the radiator and no reaction so no blown gasket.

Will pull heads next my neck is out of whack right now cannot do the lifting. Getting old sucks for sure.

Rained out show today.

David

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

On a 302 / 289 you can pop the core plug out of the front of the head to check if correct but I know of no way to verify if correct on Cleveland. Does anyone know of a way to check without pulling the heads?

David

I have no personal experience, but maybe this will help ?

https://www.fordmuscleforums.com/all-ford-techboard/498940-head-gasket-backwards-351c.html

73 ragtop, 1999 Mustang Bright Atlantic Blue Paint, Phoenix Engine 302-335HP,  Edelbrock Carb & Performer manifold; c4 with 2000 stall and shiftkit; 3:55 auburn limited slip differential, Hedman shorties; Car Chemistry Exhaust

Classic Air; Tilt Steering Wheel; 1999 Chrysler Sebring bucket Seats ; power windows;

On a 302 / 289 you can pop the core plug out of the front of the head to check if correct but I know of no way to verify if correct on Cleveland. Does anyone know of a way to check without pulling the heads?

David

I have no personal experience, but maybe this will help ?

https://www.fordmuscleforums.com/all-ford-techboard/498940-head-gasket-backwards-351c.html

Thanks for the info. I have no idea what brand he used but will go look. I think I have new Victor or maybe Fel Pro set in garage will check to see if they are different front to back on outside. Darn gaskets are expensive hate to waste them if not the issue.

David

David

Replaced a bad fuel pump only to watch a 45 year old metal fuel line split. Anyone got a line on a 73Q-4V pump to carb line??

I would call these guys - Don at OMS referred me there and their lines are perfect. Not sure why their website doesn't list a line for a 73 - only 7172.

https://braketubes.com/

Not certain what carb you have but if you're looking for something quick and not concourse, you could always visit your local parts store and pick up a brake line with the same fitting at the pump end and fabricate the line.

Replaced a bad fuel pump only to watch a 45 year old metal fuel line split. Anyone got a line on a 73Q-4V pump to carb line??

kingb1973,

Don't know why some listings are leaving the 73 Mustangs out but list the 73 Cougar! 70-73 Mustang and Cougar 351C 4BL used the same fuel pump to carb line.

Not sure where in the Northwest you are located but NPD has some lines listed a little cheaper and they do have a store in  Ventura, CA. They list steel and stainless.

https://www.npdlink.com/product/line-fuel-pump-to-carburetor-carbon-steel/106931/3255

Steve

No Officer...I really don't know how fast I was going, my speedometer stopped at 140!

kingb1973,

Don't know why some listings are leaving the 73 Mustangs out but list the 73 Cougar! 70-73 Mustang and Cougar 351C 4BL used the same fuel pump to carb line.

Not sure where in the Northwest you are located but NPD has some lines listed a little cheaper and they do have a store in  Ventura, CA. They list steel and stainless.

https://www.npdlink.com/product/line-fuel-pump-to-carburetor-carbon-steel/106931/3255

Think I found the root of this problem. PO had changed original carb to Holley 4150. From what I have read, the fuel inlet moved from passenger side to drivers side? Original fuel line was badly bent and kinked to make it work. After carb/fuel delivery services and fuel filter changes....it just gave up.

Found this,

https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/store/p/13448-Fuel-Line-Fuel-Pump-To-Carburetor-351C-4V-/-BOSS-351-Holley-4150-OE-STEEL-Repro-1970-1973-Mercury-Cougar-/-1970-1973-Ford.html,

Not sure if that will work, or just get the one for the original and learn some bending and flaring skills. Still looking at options.

Just finished putting 4 new shocks on.

Now waiting on the power brake booster to come back to do the swap.

D927164_E_EC24_4743_9_B48_23_F0_D70_CC6_AF.jpg

12_BD7807_7659_424_D_8_B80_BCCE6295_AADC.jpg

Kevin
1971 Mach 1

408C Stroker - C4 w/3,000 stall - 8.8" Rear w/3.73's - Disc brakes all way around.

kingb1973,

Think I found the root of this problem. PO had changed original carb to Holley 4150. From what I have read, the fuel inlet moved from passenger side to drivers side? Original fuel line was badly bent and kinked to make it work. After carb/fuel delivery services and fuel filter changes....it just gave up.

Found this,

https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/store/p/13448-Fuel-Line-Fuel-Pump-To-Carburetor-351C-4V-/-BOSS-351-Holley-4150-OE-STEEL-Repro-1970-1973-Mercury-Cougar-/-1970-1973-Ford.html,

Not sure if that will work, or just get the one for the original and learn some bending and flaring skills. Still looking at options.

I just went through my fuel system last year and changed all the hoses from tank to engine to ethanol resistant. The ethanol ate the rubber diaphragm up in the fuel pump and filled the crankcase with gas. Had to drain new oil out to get rid of it. When I put new fuel pump on I could not get the car to run unless I squirted gas in car. Turned out the NEW fuel pump was bad out of the box. I took vacuum pump with me to get the next one and tested at parts house before leaving.

D

David

Dropped the transmission. Pulled the smoked POS clutch and flywheel. Prepped the new Ford Billet Steel flywheel and Ram clutch for install. Got tired since I’m fighting a sinus infection in the middle of summer (wtf). Should have it all back together on Sunday, got honey do list tomorrow. :(

I use to have sinus infections forever. Had surgery in the 80's and they drilled out all the bone from several broke noses and cleaned me out was good to go until I live in China for a year came home and sinus surgery again. This time they did not have to drill hole in my head but I have very little smell or taste now. Go get the roto rooter clean out, lol.

David

Last evening, empty the Toploader , removed the  H-pipe  and tubes, drive shaft out.

Next will be to remove  the counter cable,  unplug  connector (reverse gear), then will be reday to pull out the Toploader for a complete check.

IMG_20180720_185700.jpg

IMG_20180720_200743.jpg

IMG_20180720_200813.jpg

IMG_20180720_200822.jpg

IMG_20180720_185543.jpg

Can I ask what rear end is in the car not 8" or 9" for sure. Looks like a spicer style not a Ford??

David

Yesterday Toploader out and today check the inside.

The rear end is a Dana 44, as it's the Mexican Sprint.

IMG_20180721_121545.jpg

IMG_20180721_121621.jpg

IMG_20180722_185433.jpg

Mustang, beer and rock'nroll

I got my rebuilt engine started yesterday and heard my car running for the first time in 28 years, it was a real good day but I am now half deaf listening to it running on open headers.

Not exactly related to working in my car, but related to a 7173 Mustang. This weekend I was at the EAA Air Show in Oshkosh and stopped by the Ford booth. Inside I see a 73 Mustang model. It happens that they were going to give it away to whoever answers one of the trivia question. Once the presentation started, the first question was about what engine the Ford GT has. Well, as you can tell I got it. Looks pretty cool!

20180727_122659.jpg

20160929_171923_edit2_small.jpg

1971 M-Code Mach 1 w/Ram Air, 408 stroker, 285/291 0.558" roller cam, Blue Thunder intake, TKO600, Hooker headers with electric cut-offs, FiTech EFI w/ RobBMC PowerSurge pump

Strange center section with Truetrac, 3.5 gear and 31 spline axles, 4-wheel disc brakes

Way Cool, I'd like to have won that. ::thumb::

Hi

I have never posted to this "forum page", as maintaining a car collections involves DAILY repair/attention and work! (don't need to blog that)

BUT today, I did the job everyone dreads! I am 60 years old, my body doesn't bend like it did 40 years ago. I have the bruises on my back and arms to prove it. It took me HOURS to complete it, it's not done as when I got the BOLT through the shaft I put the nut on and got a drink!!

Let's see if someone can guess "what was wrong" that I had to jam the clutch to the floor, remove the clutch rod and brake rod? I'm home now, but discussing my save someone else MY MISTAKE! WHAT was it?

Mark