What did you do to your car today?

That is a ton of work Eric! Wow! I'm in awe!

Thanks, Man! It's taken me a little longer to get that trunk to the shape it is now because I've spent a lot of time staring and disassembling in my head. That, and I'm still learning all this stuff as I go, with the help of all the great advice I keep getting from everybody here.

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My car came with factory 8 Track, but the player was DOA. I wanted to keep the look, but integrate Bluetooth. So I bought a board on eBay that can easily power the 4 speakers. I hogged out the guts of

I media blasted my exhaust manifolds in preparation for paint.  Before/after photo.  

As a kid, I offered to help my older Brother's friend fix his leaking PS hose on his '56 T-Bird. Not knowing that the PS hose is a special hose, i replaced it with a length of gas hose. As soon as he

Posted Images

He also gave me the Holley "Black" electric fuel pump as an early birthday present (on top of the intake).

Nice work! It's not staying there though, is it? It will burn out real quick if thats where it's going to be mounted.

Nice job! ::goodjob:: As soon as I get my floor back in the full trunk is next so keep sending those pictures!

2rr7aiv.png

Just cruising along minding our own business when BAM!!! The LAWS show up.

Nice job! ::goodjob:: As soon as I get my floor back in the full trunk is next so keep sending those pictures!

You got it!

He also gave me the Holley "Black" electric fuel pump as an early birthday present (on top of the intake).

Nice work! It's not staying there though, is it? It will burn out real quick if thats where it's going to be mounted.

Nah - it'll go on the left rear frame rail somewhere lower than the sending unit from the gas tank. I just propped it up there for a photo op. Jim actually eyeballed the block-off plate on the stock engine location to see if the holes lined up - he cracks me up.

Nice fan Eric! Looks like a good future white elephant gift to me. Lol

Careful what'cha wish for! ;) :D

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

Good progress on the trunk deconstruction.

[align=left]Jeff T.

When I die I want to die like grandpa, peacefully in my sleep... not screaming, like his passengers. [/align]

Spent the day getting the undercoating off from underneath the floor. Then repositioned support to the rear frame so I could remove the rear end of leaf springs to get ready for frame rail replacements.

DSCN1362.thumb.JPG.dab4b36ba2e13fc075cdfb98e1842ab4.JPGDSCN1363.thumb.JPG.c338d531d5e36bfa880a58355f4a7eb9.JPG

2rr7aiv.png

1935797514_displaycase001.jpg.66fef245d1a85bace61e8de933fe8312.jpgI drove the JAX, A mustang performance shop and diecast store.

Here's the display case I picked up for $50.

Vamach1 - 72 Sprint conv & 72 Mach1

Put the carb on...took it off...put it back on...went to the local parts house...got home...drilled and tapped two broken bolts...cursed out loud and went back to the parts house...busted my knuckles a few times...went and made a drink.

You know, we must be gluttons for punishment. Sadomasochistic or something.

Steve

[button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1972-mach-1--1800]The Stable[/button]

25yvyp3.jpg

That's why mechanics are called knuckledraggers. Glad I only took part of a week off! :P

DSCN1364.thumb.JPG.a755edfb87966da47a82a21d4a38e839.JPG

2rr7aiv.png

Unpacked a box from Don.

A complete wire harness from the headlights to the tail lights for a

1971 Mach 1. My car is a Mach 1 wearing a Grande suit so it is a

perfect fit. The harness came from the same car that supplied my new engine. Needs a little work, but it is a complete 3D blueprint

of the car's original harness. Awesome.

mike

HPIM3001.thumb.JPG.95091761e8341ab013ff5b9b195b5783.JPG

spacer.png

Spent the day getting the undercoating off from underneath the floor. Then repositioned support to the rear frame so I could remove the rear end of leaf springs to get ready for frame rail replacements.

Mark, where oh where did you get that spiffy new trunk brace? If I can score a new one for myself, I think I would just hold off until it shows up before ripping out the tail light panel. Mine's OK, but it's going to take a lot of cleaning and being careful while removing other stuff to continue using it.

I spent the day grinding spot weld shrapnel and stripping 40 year old seam sealer, undercoating, caked mud, and whatever else was left of the rear end of mine. My snot is dark gray, and the Q-tips came out rust-colored after I recently got out of the shower.

I also discovered that the Redneck Engineering (henceforth referred to as "R.E.") didn't stop with the Gas Tank Hammock... or just the one 12-pack, either. It seems our heroes (the previous owners) decided to install some air shocks when they bashed the stockers through the upper shock mounts in the cross-member. There's literally nothing left of the original mounting points - just jagged holes now. Apparently, they saw fit to use more flat stock and angle, with judicious application of the torch (no actually 'drilling' of holes or anything - just blow through 'til the hole's are big enough), and we have air shocks mounted. If you look closely at the tops of the air shocks, you'll see the pieces of flat stock they braced against the blown out original mounting points. They also used shock extender studs to get through to the trapezoid-shaped angle-stock brackets on top of the cross-member. Notice the passenger side is off-center - that's because the shock extender was bent all to Hell when they installed it (or maybe later when they got back to trying to out-do the Duke Boys). Regardless, everything they came up with just 'floats' in there - nothing is nailed down (which explains why when the shock extender got bent, the R.E. top-mount just slid over a little bit).

379150_335871996423725_100000027814872_1301291_1599254774_n.jpg

So tomorrow, I'm going to fabricate a new mounting system which will probably consist of more flat stock. I'm thinking one piece straight across, bent into the correct contours of the lower portion of the cross-member with the correct diameter holes drilled through in the right places and securely mounted to the underside of the cross-member. Because sadly - their Hill-Billy R.E. solution actually seems to have worked - I'm just going to improve on it and do a better job of fabrication and not waste any more time trying to repair the stock shock mounts (which I have no idea how to do that anyway). That way I'll still be able to continue to use the shock absorber access holes in the cross-member as well.

Unless anybody has any other ideas, that is.

I won't even comment on or show pictures of the R.E. shackles they came up with, until later when I replace them with the correct units.

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

Mark, where oh where did you get that spiffy new trunk brace? If I can score a new one for myself, I think I would just hold off until it shows up before ripping out the tail light panel. Mine's OK, but it's going to take a lot of cleaning and being careful while removing other stuff to continue using it.

I spent the day grinding spot weld shrapnel and stripping 40 year old seam sealer, undercoating, caked mud, and whatever else was left of the rear end of mine. My snot is dark gray, and the Q-tips came out rust-colored after I recently got out of the shower.

I also discovered that the Redneck Engineering (henceforth referred to as "R.E.") didn't stop with the Gas Tank Hammock... or just the one 12-pack, either. It seems our heroes (the previous owners) decided to install some air shocks when they bashed the stockers through the upper shock mounts in the cross-member. There's literally nothing left of the original mounting points - just jagged holes now. Apparently, they saw fit to use more flat stock and angle, with judicious application of the torch (no actually 'drilling' of holes or anything - just blow through 'til the hole's are big enough), and we have air shocks mounted. If you look closely at the tops of the air shocks, you'll see the pieces of flat stock they braced against the blown out original mounting points. They also used shock extender studs to get through to the trapezoid-shaped angle-stock brackets on top of the cross-member. Notice the passenger side is off-center - that's because the shock extender was bent all to Hell when they installed it (or maybe later when they got back to trying to out-do the Duke Boys). Regardless, everything they came up with just 'floats' in there - nothing is nailed down (which explains why when the shock extender got bent, the R.E. top-mount just slid over a little bit).

379150_335871996423725_100000027814872_1301291_1599254774_n.jpg

So tomorrow, I'm going to fabricate a new mounting system which will probably consist of more flat stock. I'm thinking one piece straight across, bent into the correct contours of the lower portion of the cross-member with the correct diameter holes drilled through in the right places and securely mounted to the underside of the cross-member. Because sadly - their Hill-Billy R.E. solution actually seems to have worked - I'm just going to improve on it and do a better job of fabrication and not waste any more time trying to repair the stock shock mounts (which I have no idea how to do that anyway). That way I'll still be able to continue to use the shock absorber access holes in the cross-member as well.

Unless anybody has any other ideas, that is.

I won't even comment on or show pictures of the R.E. shackles they came up with, until later when I replace them with the correct units.

Got my frame crossmember from NPD #10780-2A $119 w/shipping perfect fit. Don from OMS pointed me there and my son made it a christmas gift.

2rr7aiv.png

Got my frame crossmember from NPD #10780-2A $119 w/shipping perfect fit. Don from OMS pointed me there and my son made it a christmas gift.

Sweet! Thanks Mark!

Eric, you have a real timepiece there! That car has seen alot of life!!

You ain't kidding. The sad thing is that all the R.E. damage & repairs seem to have happened within the first 10 years of its life. The registration and inspection stickers still on the car both say "1980." After that, I think the poor car had just given up and was parked (probably in a river based on all the rust).

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

Eric thats the rear crossmember against the rear body..Not the shock crossmember.

LOVE OF BEAUTY IS TASTE..THE CREATION OF BEAUTY IS ART

Eric thats the rear crossmember against the rear body..Not the shock crossmember.

I know - I just figured instead of trying to preserve the one that's still on there, I can save a bunch of time by just taking it out with the tail light panel, since I have to cut the tail light panel just to get the trunk pan in there anyway. Don't worry though - I'm still not planning on cutting anything major until the new sheet metal arrives, as you suggested. (Even though that means waiting 'til next weekend, which is fine - I think the shop's possibly still going to be open on the weekends, last I heard)

Right now, I'm working on the 'new improved R.E.' shock mount, since I'm pretty sure getting a new shock mount cross member isn't going to be possible. I'm also going to stuff the new leaf springs and other rear suspension up under there and finish cleaning up the frame rails while I'm at it.

Thanks for lookin' over my shoulder just the same - means a lot knowing I've got such good support (even from afar)!

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

We've got ya covered!

2rr7aiv.png

I know - I just figured instead of trying to preserve the one that's still on there, I can save a bunch of time by just taking it out with the tail light panel, since I have to cut the tail light panel just to get the trunk pan in there anyway. Don't worry though - I'm still not planning on cutting anything major until the new sheet metal arrives, as you suggested. (Even though that means waiting 'til next weekend, which is fine - I think the shop's possibly still going to be open on the weekends, last I heard)

Right now, I'm working on the 'new improved R.E.' shock mount, since I'm pretty sure getting a new shock mount cross member isn't going to be possible. I'm also going to stuff the new leaf springs and other rear suspension up under there and finish cleaning up the frame rails while I'm at it.

Thanks for lookin' over my shoulder just the same - means a lot knowing I've got such good support (even from afar)!

Eric..I would be inclined to use this (if it's in the budget) & modify as required..Gonna save a bunch of time

http://www.cjponyparts.com/product.aspx?p=RSMP&utm_source=google&utm_medium=merchant&utm_campaign=shopping

LOVE OF BEAUTY IS TASTE..THE CREATION OF BEAUTY IS ART

And, as for the comment of removing the tail panel to change the trunk floor, they didn't do that when I had mine done. Now that I think about it, maybe the only way they could get the panel in there was because my package tray has been hacked up and isn't there...

Took of the left rear tire (had a screw in it and was flat) of the Mach1. Off to the tire repair shop tomorrow.

Vamach1 - 72 Sprint conv & 72 Mach1

I have had the whole week off. Since Christmas, I've installed front bumper, grill, upper & lower control arms, new coil springs, front shocks, springs, front stabilizer bar, and few other small items. It's been the best vacation I had in a long time. Will post some pictures soon. It has taken 5 years to get to this stage. So guys be patient.

Jimmy T.

Almost done with the carb install and some of the other engine bay odds and ends. Tomorrow I need to install a new vacuum line, hook up the electric choke and put the new wheel adapters on. Then it's a drive to the body shops for quotes!

Steve

[button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1972-mach-1--1800]The Stable[/button]

25yvyp3.jpg