2 questions seat pans , and a color match

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

87fox72mach

Reaction score
My Car
1995 firebird rebuilt motor 5 spd dail driver
1987 grand wagoneer plow truck
1987 mustang lx 5.0 work custom engine bay and paint
1972 mach 1 project
ok my first question is has anyone used the seat pans from cj pony partS? my passenger side one is very rotted and my driver one is a little but i think i can fix it, they are like 86 a piece so i want to make sure if i get one that theyll fit nice also im goin to post in the wtb to see if by chance someone has one, im also getting new floor pans from cj. second question my car is paint code 6c,medium yellow gold? im looking at a cheaper alternative like single stage to do the inside of my car since you barely see any exposed paint so i was looking at kirker school bus yellow does anyone know if this is close match or not? i was even contemplating brushing the inside since it will get a coat of rust bullet inside, im in college money is a little tight so right now i dont have proper fresh air system to paint and im not taking any risks any input on these two topics would be awesome!

ok my first question is has anyone used the seat pans from cj pony partS? my passenger side one is very rotted and my driver one is a little but i think i can fix it, they are like 86 a piece so i want to make sure if i get one that theyll fit nice also im goin to post in the wtb to see if by chance someone has one, im also getting new floor pans from cj. second question my car is paint code 6c,medium yellow gold? im looking at a cheaper alternative like single stage to do the inside of my car since you barely see any exposed paint so i was looking at kirker school bus yellow does anyone know if this is close match or not? i was even contemplating brushing the inside since it will get a coat of rust bullet inside, im in college money is a little tight so right now i dont have proper fresh air system to paint and im not taking any risks any input on these two topics would be awesome!
Can't answer your first question but I can on the second..If your going to rust bullet the inside there's no need for any paint.

The seat platforms (if that's what you're asking about) at CJ Pony Parts are for Coupes & Convertibles - not so much Fastbacks (unless you're wanting to boost the seats up a little higher (like a couple of inches).

Don't get me wrong - they're of good quality and everything. But if you're tall like a lot of us, you might be scraping the headliner.

Hope that helps!

I didn't know the seat pans were being produced, or are they used. I've seen what you are suggesting with the paint done. However, using paint from 2 manufacturers increases the chance for an ugly reaction between the two paints. The paint colors must match or all your hard work will be rewarded with disappointment. I hesitate to post this link as I've had mixed results with their products but, their prices are cheap compared to most.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/aclchip.aspx?image=1972-ford-pg01.jpg

Chuck

thanks for input about the pans i think ill just have to wait and get lucky to find some used or in the bone yard which will probably never happen, but i would be doing the outside of the car bc cc with a good paint but i figure why waste a lot of money on the inside a buddy of mine brushed his paint on inside and the little you see in the trunk looks pretty darn good, and i know rust bullet doesnt need to be topcoated but for appearance the little areas you see i want some color, any input on the rust bullet it seems like a very good product for areas not accessible to epoxy primer

I used the seat pans and they are definately HIGHER. Im 6ft tall and my head almost touches the headliner. I didnt realize they were higher till i had already welded them in. Overall they are nice risers. They can easily be modified to work with a fastback. just use your old ones to measure how much to cut off and your set.

"what little you see in trunk" ? There's a whole lot you see in the trunk like the underside of the decklid.. all the edges or "jambs" of the quarter panels..What exactly are looking to paint ? If it's those areas, it needs to match the rest of the car, your talking about peanuts in savings not to do those areas..If your talking about the trunk floor & inner wheelhouses buy 2 cans of splatter paint & call it a day

well as far as brushing im talking about the floors the celing the firewall not the door jambs etc, what i meant by little in trunk is the inner quarters/wheel well, the trunk lid jambs etc would all be sprayed no doubt the to do the whole inside floor firewall and roof i just think brushing would be better considering i dont have the proper safety equipment to spray right now but i am considering it to use as practice i would def get a cheap paint for the interior, i have some epoxy primer which is about a year and a half old that i didint shake periodically got kinda gummy so i was figuring to use it up i can stirr it up and brush it even if its thick it should still work, im not looking to make my car look shitty by all means the outside body work etc will use all quality materials however this wont be a barrett jackson car

In answer to your first question. YYEESS there is a difference between coupe and fastback seat platforms. About a year ago this became a much debated subject on here, and I believe the truth finally came out. The coupe platforms are about 1-1/2 inch taller than a fastback. But noone produces the lower fastback ones, your only option is used. I got a pair from Don@ OMS or there is a place in the west that might have them, but here in the east there not to common to find

As far as your paint (BE CAREFUL) as to what you try to use!!!! If you think you can buy some cheap aerosol can or other cheap paint to save money ( such as synthol enamels) when you get ready for your final BC_CC you'll get a reaction between them and end up with an extreme case of wrinkle finish where ever they meet. If you get a Lacquer based paint there should not be any reaction. In the days gone buy there was an old saying ( enamel over lacquer but not lacquer over enamel) The newer polyuerothanes are no different. they are a stronger solvent than the old enamels which you still get in alot of rattle can products. thats why they are cheaper. I wont go into your method of preforming your work but I personaly would finish my bodywork and use the rust bullit or por 15 or whatever product you wish and then worry about finish painting that way its all the same and no worries.

Last edited by a moderator:
gummy =probably not good:-/ Do your self a favor just use the rust bullet for all those spots..Then just jamb the car with your base /cc All the work we did so far on my car on those area's you're doing are rust bullet & will stay rust bullet 98% is hidden & not seen when everything is assembled ..I haven't sprayed any of it.. all applied with a foam roller & foam brushes..You can't tell it wasn't sprayed.

Look Here at my vids..

www.saturdaymorninggarage.com

http://www.youtube.com/user/fuzzenut#p/u

gummy =probably not good:-/ Do your self a favor just use the rust bullet for all those spots..Then just jamb the car with your base /cc All the work we did so far on my car on those area's you're doing are rust bullet & will stay rust bullet 98% is hidden & not seen when everything is assembled ..I haven't sprayed any of it.. all applied with a foam roller & foam brushes..You can't tell it wasn't sprayed.

Look Here at my vids..

www.saturdaymorninggarage.com

http://www.youtube.com/user/fuzzenut#p/u

+1. Excellent advice as always!

My concern would be the condition of the floor underneath the seat platform! I just replaced the floor pans in my 71 Coupe the seat platforms were mint the floors round it were so so but underneath the seat platforms were bad! There was no paint under the seat platforms and the old insulation held the moisture in causing havoc.

Last edited by a moderator:
the car will be getting new floor pans completely on both sides i alreay have them ordered, those videos are awesome thank you i likeyour project, i live in pa finding parts are extrmely difficult i bought another car just for parts so i have many duplicates and good parts but i was lucky and found a intact passenger side cowl in the junk yard go figure but the floor pans were cut but my plan will be rust bullet the interior areas cowl underneath etc, all of the outside body will be sprayed with epoxy but i figure when i weld these floors in i wanna coat them with something right away since i dont have spraying equipment just yet im goin to go the route of brushing the rust bullet on then i guess il save up and just spray the inside of the car and dont hesitate to comment on my method ive redone my 87 mustang but as far as classic resto this is all new to me i want ot learn as much as possible

the car will be getting new floor pans completely on both sides i alreay have them ordered, those videos are awesome thank you i likeyour project, i live in pa finding parts are extrmely difficult i bought another car just for parts so i have many duplicates and good parts but i was lucky and found a intact passenger side cowl in the junk yard go figure but the floor pans were cut but my plan will be rust bullet the interior areas cowl underneath etc, all of the outside body will be sprayed with epoxy but i figure when i weld these floors in i wanna coat them with something right away since i dont have spraying equipment just yet im goin to go the route of brushing the rust bullet on then i guess il save up and just spray the inside of the car and dont hesitate to comment on my method ive redone my 87 mustang but as far as classic resto this is all new to me i want ot learn as much as possible

Not trying to critisize your method, just don't see a reason for fully painting the interior when it won't show. Jams and exposed areas yes. Also Im not sure about rust bullit but the only reason por 15 needs top coated is that it is UV affected if its going to be in the sun it needs topcoat if not such as under side or engine compartment or under carpets it doesnt need extra cover.

Contact Don@OMS he has cars he dissassembles and I got a pair of fastback platforms from him at a very reasonable price.

ok well my new floor pans are here i ordered a gallon of rust bullet i figured this is enough to do all the parts of the car that wont be getting epoxy, another ? i may as well ask it before i start a new thread my interior was deluxe ginger, i see there were two different colors used on the interior , im going to have to respray everything since the bozo before me decided to paint the dash and blastics all black so does anyone have any info on a good interior paint i know sem is great stuff ive used it but they dont have ginger so im looking elsewhere any input on this would be awesome also im still looking for a passenger side seatpan i think the drivers side i can save

Back