351c Build Suggestions

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys for all of the suggestion and info. I am running Hooker comp headers and haven't really figured out the rest yet, I was playing around with the idea of side exits in front of the tire.

Here's is the setup I'm thinking of:

-Comp Cams XE262H 218/224 @ .050 lift http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/cam-specs/Details.aspx?csid=847&sb=2

-Harland Sharp 1.73 ratio roller rockers

-Edelbrock Performer intake

-Holley 600cfm carb

-3.25 or 3.50 gears

I plugged this set up into Camquest and this is what it says:

camquest_zpsc279992e.jpg

If this is semi accurate I would be happy with those figures.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll bet if you put in the right compression ratio, those numbers would go up even a little more, as I believe the 351C-2V has a higher Compression Ratio than 8.0:1.

You must've gotten the cam that was just one number higher in the stack than mine. You might also consider getting the whole Cam kit, which comes with: cam, bearings, lifters, lifter alignment bracket (for roller lifters), timing gears & chain, pushrods, valve seals, valve springs, and valve spring keepers. I think the kit is running around $800, but at least that way everything's matched up to your cam, and there's no guessing on what you still might need to get for the cam swap.

My cam kit is K32-421-8: "Mild street performance. Slightly noticeable lope at idle. Works with stock converter and gears." That's the description of the cam charaterstics. That, to me, means: decent economy and a burn-out now and then.

Good luck with whatever you decide to go with... it's all good. ;) :D

Hey J, Heres a link to the cam i was running in my motor that those heads are off of. the springs on those heads are also set up for this cam. Its probably a little hotter than you were looking for, but it worked well in my car. And my bottom end was pretty much stock other than being bored out .040 over. Just another option for you. I was also running a 700 holley DP.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-cl32-246-4/overview/make/ford

I'll bet if you put in the right compression ratio, those numbers would go up even a little more, as I believe the 351C-2V has a higher Compression Ratio than 8.0:1.

You must've gotten the cam that was just one number higher in the stack than mine. You might also consider getting the whole Cam kit, which comes with: cam, bearings, lifters, lifter alignment bracket (for roller lifters), timing gears & chain, pushrods, valve seals, valve springs, and valve spring keepers. I think the kit is running around $800, but at least that way everything's matched up to your cam, and there's no guessing on what you still might need to get for the cam swap.

My cam kit is K32-421-8: "Mild street performance. Slightly noticeable lope at idle. Works with stock converter and gears." That's the description of the cam charaterstics. That, to me, means: decent economy and a burn-out now and then.

Good luck with whatever you decide to go with... it's all good. ;) :D
With the compression bumped to 9:1 it shows it getting 368hp @5000rpm and 424 ft-lbs @ 3500rpm. The heads already have most if not all of those goodies installed.

Hey J, Heres a link to the cam i was running in my motor that those heads are off of. the springs on those heads are also set up for this cam. Its probably a little hotter than you were looking for, but it worked well in my car. And my bottom end was pretty much stock other than being bored out .040 over. Just another option for you. I was also running a 700 holley DP.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-cl32-246-4/overview/make/ford
Thanks Kevin I couldn't find were it was you said which cam you had. With that cam what converter and gears were you running? I was thinking about getting that same cam.

Decision...decisions.

I am running a 3000 stall b&m converter and 3.73 gears. And with that setup it was FUN! Ran great. If you went that cam the motor wouldnt be as responsive as it could be in the begining, but as you got money for gears and then a converter later it would wake it right up. I would buy a cam like that and add the other stuff later. It will still run well with your gears and converter just not to its potential. Which wouldnt hurt it any and you have room to grow into your cam. Just my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't even know if I can get a higher stall converter having a FMX. Eventually I want to swap in a manual but that's not until far down the road.

Hmmm...interesting I'll have to take a look at the receipt when I got the transmission rebuilt. It was supposedly a performance rebuild and may have included a higher stall converter. Thanks for the link.

From the 1973 Ford Car Shop Manual, volume 2, page 21-22-27, general specifications, the compression ratio is 8.0:1. The AMA specification for 1973 Mustang with 351C 2V, page 4, states MAX. compression ratio is 8.0. The source information for these documents was provided by Ford. Ford may have provide wrong information. In the 1960s they had a history of stating and advertising compression ratios that were not correct. In every case I'm aware of, the actual compression ratio was lower than the stated and advertised compression ratio. A good example is the Hi-Po 289. The actual ratio was a full point lower than advertised. Unless the engine has never been rebuilt, you can't even go by what is published since piston manufactures make pistons, for the same engine, with different pin heights, valve reliefs, crevice volumes, dishes, and domes. Gasket makers build gaskets, for the same engine, with different bore diameters and compressed thickness. The only way to know for sure is to measure and calculate. Chuck

My compression with my old motor that those heads of J's were on was pretty low. Just barely 9.0 we had to use the thinnest head gasket we could get to even get that.

My compression with my old motor that those heads of J's were on was pretty low. Just barely 9.0 we had to use the thinnest head gasket we could get to even get that.
Hey Kevin do you know the combustion chamber volume of the heads? What kind of head gasket were you using?

Supposedly when I bought the motor it was low mileage and completely stock but I will know more when I pull the heads off.

Thanks. I hope I do not come off as trying to be a "know it all". I have learned many things over the years. Frequently the hard, expensive, and disappointing way. Because we can communicate via modern technology, I try to help folks know things without learning them the hard, expensive, and disappointing way. The hobby will have more enthusiastic members if their builds or modification end in success. Chuck

Thanks. I hope I do not come off as trying to be a "know it all". I have learned many things over the years. Frequently the hard, expensive, and disappointing way. Because we can communicate via modern technology, I try to help folks know things without learning them the hard, expensive, and disappointing way. The hobby will have more enthusiastic members if their builds or modification end in success. Chuck
Not at all. I view any exchanges like this as 'learning opportunities,' and also have the firm belief that any day you don't learn something new is a wasted day. Experience is one of the best teaching tools, but my view on experience is this: Experience is that knowledge you don't have until it happens to you.

Latest posts

Back