351w build [UPDATE]

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Must admit I'm a little curious myself. The putty will tell you the clearance you have between the piston and the valves. I'll try to find a url for you.

Found it! http://www.fordmuscle.com/fundamentals/pistontovalve/
Hmmm...I'll have to check this when I get the heads on it. Which method would you suggest? Thanks for the link by the way.

The light spring and feeler gauge is the easiest measuring wise. If you don't mind doing your valve springs. To me, It's cheap insurance when you spot an irregularity before a potential problem shows up after a rebuild.

It should be easy enough to compare the canted ones with the strait ones. If there is an issue I would think you would see it rather quickly this way.

Small update, I cleaned and painted a few things. I haven't checked the piston to valve clearance yet, probably in the next couple of days.

100_4865.jpg

100_4862.jpg

100_4860.jpg

100_4871.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Dummy me forgot to mark or remember which head goes on which side. How can you tell the difference? Thanks for looking

No matter, both are the same.

No matter, both are the same.
Ok, cool. Thanks.

I went out and found a part number d80e ab. I did a quick google search and I guess the are 302 heads. Anybody have any more info on them?

Double check that the accessory mounting holes are in good condition before mounting the heads. If threads are boogered or damaged set that side to the back of the engine.
That's a good tip to know.

The heads have this weird exhaust crossover tube thing, can I just put some bolts in the holes to block them off?

Double check that the accessory mounting holes are in good condition before mounting the heads. If threads are boogered or damaged set that side to the back of the engine.
That's a good tip to know.

The heads have this weird exhaust crossover tube thing, can I just put some bolts in the holes to block them off?
Yup, just stick a bolt in there to block it off. Btw, that's a good looking intake. ;)

Yup, just stick a bolt in there to block it off. Btw, that's a good looking intake. ;)
It looks good now. :p I've said this before but thanks for that.
You should have seen it before I put it in the dishwasher!
lollerz To be honest I just had blue paint left over, otherwise it was fine unpainted.

I went out and found a part number d80e ab. I did a quick google search and I guess the are 302 heads. Anybody have any more info on them?

Ford used them on both 302/351 in the smog era.

Nothing extraordinary to write home about unfortunately.

A set of iron GT40's or GT40P's would be a nice inexpensive upgrade to go with the intake. Find 'em on '96-up Explorers.

Heh heh heh... Dad used to call it "lighting the fuse"... you can add and change and modify till the cows come home... gotta know when to "pinch that fuse off" before it runs the wallet dry :D.

Well I checked the piston to valve clearance between the best and worst looking pistons. There was a slight difference but still it had plenty of room, about twice or more of the suggested clearance. Anyway I got the new valve spring and seals in.

Here are some pics.

Before

100_4881.jpg

100_4879.jpg

After

100_4875.jpg

100_4876.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Well I checked the piston to valve clearance between the best and worst looking pistons. There was a slight difference but still it had plenty of room, about twice or more of the suggested clearance. Anyway I got the new valve spring and seals in.

Here are some pics.

Before

100_4881.jpg

100_4879.jpg

After

100_4875.jpg

100_4876.jpg

Thanks for looking.
Jayson,

There is a definite + or - in your clearances. If you have double the recommended - clearance it's not going to have as much power in the detonation stroke. What were the clearances you measured?

The link you sent me said "at least .080" on the intake and .100" on the exhaust side." That's the specs I measured off of. It being a low compression smog motor, I don't think it is going to make huge power anyway. I don't remember the exact measurements except that they were right around double what link you sent says.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got the heads on and buttoned up.

100_4890.jpg

100_4892.jpg

100_4895.jpg

100_4899.jpg

Here's what it looks like with the intake and valve covers just set on, not bolted down.

100_4902.jpg

100_4906.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Back