429 IN 68 THUNDERBIRD

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snakebite8

Reaction score
My Car
67-fastback gt k-code
72-mach 1 HO
MY FATHER MEET A GUY WITH A LOW MILES 68 THUNDERBIRD 429. ENGINE RUNS AND IT DRIVES BUT THE BIDY IS SHOT. IS THE ENGINE WORTH SAVING AND THE TRANS? IS IT SAME OR DIFFERENT FROM A MUSTANG 429

I HEARD THE HEADS IN THE THUNDERBIRDS BETTER THAN MUSTANGS BUT THE MUSTANGS HAD MORE HP? ANY TRUTH TO THAT.

By no means an expert and would be happy to be corrected by more knowledgeable people on this forum. I think the later Cobra Jet engine used a cam with the same specs as the other (428 &351C) Cobra Jet engines and used a Q-jet carb ('71's had 4 bolt mains). The Super Cobra Jet had a solid cam,4 bolt mains and an aluminum intake with a 780 Holley. A limited view but gives you the basics and may explain HP difference. I know of a guy that ran the Tbird heads on 460 combos for decent results in his fairlane.

I COULD GO FOR A ORANGE
The C8,C9 and D0 passenger car heads were a better head for that application, namely providing enough torque with reasonable (by the standard of the day) fuel economy to move those big boats around. The CJ head was a race head. If you put a CJ head on a 429 Thunderjet in a TBird and made no other changes it would not perform as well as the original passenger car head.

So which is best or better depends completely on the application. You are comparing two different heads designed to do different things, thus apples and oranges.

If you are building a race engine and your only choices are a C8 head and a D00R (CJ) head then I would choose the CJ head because it has the best ultimate flow potential.

For anything else given those two choices I would use the passenger car head.

As Tommy stated, the comparison between Mustang 429 heads and more "run of the mill" 429 heads comes down to the fact that the Mustangs all used the 429CJ/SCJ heads.

That does not mean the "regular" heads are not good as they can make some serious power and TORQUE. These early heads can be identified by the casting numbers C8SZ-B, C8VE-E and D0VE-C. These heads have a combustion chamber volume of 75.8 cc and utilize Intake Valve of 2.08" and exhaust valves of 1.66". These heads are considered much better (for performance) than the later 72-78 heads as the later heads have much larger combustion chambers.

The 429CJ/429SCJ/Police heads have a combustion chamber of 73.5 cc with 2.24"/1.725" valves. These heads also come with adjustable rocker arms.

The 68-70 429 blocks are essentially the same except for the fact that the 429SCJ blocks for 1970 and 1971 had four bolt mains. The 1971 CJ block also had four bolt main.

My $.02... I have a 1970 passenger car engine in "Ice" (my '73 Grande) and I am making @ 500 horsepower with gobs of torque with a relatively mild build. Those early 429/460 engines have been purported to make much, much more:). I pulled this motor (and C6) out of a 1970 Galaxy. As to the transmission, I had to install a different detent rod as the C6 was a column shift and the Grande utilizes a floor shift. Otherwise, the C6 is essentially the same.

Hope this helps:).

BT

BT is right on. I have a stock 429 wedge (1970, D0VE heads) that I would like to build at some point. On the BB Ford forums there are guys making 700+HP easily using the wedge heads.

As Tommy stated, the comparison between Mustang 429 heads and more "run of the mill" 429 heads comes down to the fact that the Mustangs all used the 429CJ/SCJ heads.

That does not mean the "regular" heads are not good as they can make some serious power and TORQUE. These early heads can be identified by the casting numbers C8SZ-B, C8VE-E and D0VE-C. These heads have a combustion chamber volume of 75.8 cc and utilize Intake Valve of 2.08" and exhaust valves of 1.66". These heads are considered much better (for performance) than the later 72-78 heads as the later heads have much larger combustion chambers.

The 429CJ/429SCJ/Police heads have a combustion chamber of 73.5 cc with 2.24"/1.725" valves. These heads also come with adjustable rocker arms.

The 68-70 429 blocks are essentially the same except for the fact that the 429SCJ blocks for 1970 and 1971 had four bolt mains. The 1971 CJ block also had four bolt main.

My $.02... I have a 1970 passenger car engine in "Ice" (my '73 Grande) and I am making @ 500 horsepower with gobs of torque with a relatively mild build. Those early 429/460 engines have been purported to make much, much more:). I pulled this motor (and C6) out of a 1970 Galaxy. As to the transmission, I had to install a different detent rod as the C6 was a column shift and the Grande utilizes a floor shift. Otherwise, the C6 is essentially the same.

BT

BT
Just as a side note 429 SCJ and CJ heads are the same thing with The police Interceptors been different again. As in smaller ports and valves..

Not hanging shit on the good folk here, but visit this forum for all things ford 429-460.

http://www.460ford.com/forum/

Last edited by a moderator:
The old Thunder jet...Gobs of TQ..think like 480...I rememeber seeing HP stock numbers at around 360hp.."315" for the 2 Barrel i think...My dad had one in his Bird 4 barrel with dual exquast.....And my buddy has one in a ford truck with the Thunder jet valve covers still on it...I would save it if the price is right...Specially if its free...Only big diff like most said..Having 2 bolt mains..But that does not matter much unless you making over 700 hp..lol

Cobra and others beat me to it.... the Thunderchicken is a good motor ...BUY IT ....especially if its cheap.

Get outside of the box. Common sense... the Thunderchicken was a luxruy car... think...torque!!! it has to move that beast of a 4400 lb car. Now then...she has great torque ... great crank... your Moohstang had the better heads for HP. Now think of taking that beast ...putting better heads, intake, cam and carb....WHOOO WEEEeeeeee you got some heck of a power house!! buy it or I'll give 500.00 for it ALL !!!!!! :D

Back