'71 trunk emblem or not?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Weird Al at Fox59 03.JPG

The letters were standard on all base coupes, sportsroofs and convertiblrs in 71. There was a stripe option for the sportsroof that deleted the letters, and I think a decor option for all base models ( tail panel applique) that also deleted the letters.

The letters were pins and holes, never taped or glued on.

It all dissapeared in 72
That's not exactly true... I have a 71 Convertible that I bought from the original owner in 1983. It still had the M-U-S-T-A-N-G letter on the trunk deck and it's orig. paint. The letters were glued on with an adhisive tape..

so there were no holes when I stripped the car down for repaint in 1984.

I measured carefully each letter postion before removing so I would have a template for putting new letters on. I used new un-pinned letters and a 3M foam tape trimmed to fit the letters to install... they have been on the car since 1984 without an issue of falling off.

Yep, I stand corrected. I thought (assumed?)the individual letters had pins/ holes but apparently they do not and never did.

Makes sense...no need to manufacture 2 versions of the trunk lids that way.

The early GT Mustangs 65-67 time frame received the pin mounted letters. By the time the 71s were out, we had the stick on ones as the service replacement. It was good when the repo market made them.

Back