72 Fastback Grille

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
65 Mustang
72 Mustang Fastback
I’ve seen three different grilles used on 1971-73 Mustangs. I understand one with vertical sport lamps are for 73’s. Our car is a ’72 Fastback, not the Mach 1, and originally came with a 302 auto. Did the car come with horizontal sport lamps or non at all?

1971: Sportlamp grill available only on the Mach 1, Boss 351, and Spring Special Coupe. All other 1971 models came with standard grills.

1972: Sportlamp grill available only on the Mach 1, Sprint Edition, and coupes/convertibles ordered with the Decor Group. All other 1972 models came with standard grills.

With exception to the Boss 351, all 1971/72 models equipped with the Sportlamp grill also received the urethane bumper.

All 1973 grilles went to vertical turn signals due to the increased bumper size. Two grills were available; a base version with a eggcrate pattern and a "corralled" pony, used on base models. A second honeycomb grill with a floating Mustang on tri-bar (the "Deluxe" grill) was standard on the Mach 1, and was (don't quote me on this - I'm a bit fuzzy on this bit of info) either an option on all others, and/or was included automatically if you ordered the Decor Group.

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back