72- Medium Lime Metallic - resurrection

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First day in the sunshine in quite a while. Well I made it to the alignment shop. Before leaving I was able to get a few pictures snapped out in the sunshine. I must admit when I first bought this car back in the early 80's the paint was nowhere this shinny, but I am very happy with now. The alignment went well and we got her back home for some of the finishing touches. I am going to get a final buff on the paint next week just to make sure we are show car ready. I am really getting pumped on rounding the corner and seeing the 50th in 2 weeks. Here are some photo's in the sun. Hope you all enjoy them as much as I did. It is great to feel 15 again even though I am a bit rounder now. Just a funny comment to add. I never recall my head hitting the headliner when sitting in the car as a kid. I guess the new seat foam did the trick. I will need to make sure the headliner stays clean though or doesn't make my bald spot any bigger? :)
That's a beautiful car. You should be proud of all your hard work.

Brian,

Really turned out nice...I am very excited for you to get this far. Since this is a concourse car, did you go single stage or base plus clear on the paint? I need to make this decision sometime in the next few months.

Jeff

PS...read the door panel troubles you were having, what did you end up doing?

Brian,

Really turned out nice...I am very excited for you to get this far. Since this is a concourse car, did you go single stage or base plus clear on the paint? I need to make this decision sometime in the next few months.

Jeff

PS...read the door panel troubles you were having, what did you end up doing?
Thank you to everyone on their comments. It has definitly been a labor of love,

Jeff, I went with a base clear. I did quite a bit of research and I wanted to at least get the pop of the base clear. Most painters inidicated that the single stage would take alot more buffing to get a deep shine and I could get that if not more with the base clear. The right amount of orange peel on a base clear is a little more tricky I have been told, but I am happy with the results. Please know I am not a bodywork person and this is what I learned from talking with others. Also, MCA does not score you down on a base clear over single stage.

On the door panel I found someone here who made the repair to the drivers side. It turned out OK, but not show level. I am going to use the original door panels for now until I know TMIs are available and proven to be quality pieces before I buy. I will attach a photo to the door panel post when possible. Honestly, my savings have taken such a hit over the past couple months getting everything done I am a bit relieved not to have to spend another 100's $ on door panels.

This will probably be my final update on the restoration. From this point forward it will be all of those small things that we tinker with for eternity. I have posted ALOT of pictures following this brief not just for others to reference if needed. No better way to celebrate Labor Day 2014 than to show the results of my 5 years of labor.

1972 0.jpg

1972 1.jpg

1972 2.jpg

1972 4.jpg

1972 6.jpg

1972 9.jpg

1972 10.jpg

1972 11.jpg

1972 13.jpg

1972 14.jpg

1972 15.jpg

1972 16.jpg

1972 18.jpg

1972 19.jpg

1972 20.jpg

Here are a few more. I do need to fix that darn tailpipe though!

1972 23.jpg

1972 24.jpg

1972 25.jpg

1972 26.jpg

1972 27.jpg

1972 28.jpg

1972 29.jpg

1972 30.jpg

1972 31.jpg

1972 34.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome job Brian...

Couple questions in looking at pics as I know this was a concourse driven car.

Front spoiler...did not think these were ever a factory option?

Trunk lid bolts in your pics are not painted...thought trunk lid was painted on car and bolts should be body color?

Front spoiler...did not think these were ever a factory option?

Jeff you are right that the front spoiler was ususally a dealer installed option as with the rear. When I acquired the car back in the early 80's these were both installed. As I used the original front valance I went with the spoiler. In MCA judging this will not affect your score as the majority of the judges know these were often installed by the dealer and are often not listed on the invoice or Marti.

Trunk lid bolts in your pics are not painted...thought trunk lid was painted on car and bolts should be body color?

You are also correct on this. I have some plans for a little touch up work on the paint this winter. One of the items will be painting the trunk bolts and nuts body color.

Very nice. Would love to buy a car like that but would not have the time or patience it takes to do it right. Your attention to detail is to be admired. Can't wait to see it I real life. Should be easy since you are just a town away. Just curious, was the painter reasonably priced or stupid high? I want my black sections to be gloss or satin but not the matt. The rest of my paint is good.

Back