72- Medium Lime Metallic - resurrection

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks real nice but in 6 months you'll be swapping to a 4 barrel like I'm getting ready to do on my H code cleveland:). To me the 351C 2v feels like it is lacking with the 1.08 venturi 2150 that is on it right now. Your car looks like it is going to be very nice when finished.

Just let me know when you are done. You will be looking to work on another Mustang to keep your sanity. So I figure I can help save you many years of therapy and "let you" work on one of mine! :D

And don't worry - your quality of workmanship passes my inspection...

Honestly - great job. You are getting really close to driving and enjoying that car once again!

Ray

Thanks guys. I have to give credit to Mike at MotorCity. He just helped me out with a needed piece and the nice thing is you will see it prominently displayed in the engine bay. Got you hooked on guessing?????

Last edited by a moderator:
My guess:

The plastic piece that goes between the radiator and core support is my guess. (with clips) aka Radiator Air Deflector

It seems this is left off of most restorations. Some very original cars don't have it installed. Seems after a radiator repair it is just left off.

http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/cooling_system.htm

Ray

Nope, got that. This is in the front, but LEADS to the back. I guess I am a little punchy after way to stressfull of a week at work. Need to let some others play the guessing game that I have had to play with some of my work problems. I promise only a couple more guesses and I will divulge the item.

Well progress is still taking place. The motor and transmission went in together this weekend with little difficulty. I figured with 3 other friends we could keep things in check and push and pull where needed. Here are a couple of photos. Oh, just to closeout the guessing game for Boss1Ray, Mike at Motorcity came through for me on an accessory harness from the solenoid to the interior for the rear defrost and hood light. Received it yesterday and it looks to be in very good shape. Thank you Motorcity! My wife let me use the Christmas money allocated to me to order most of the remaining parts to make my fire up date of 01/05/14. Parts from Marti Works should be delivered today. They will get wrapped and put under the tree so the weekend after Christmas will be a mad thrash to get everything installed and ready for start up. I also cannot forget a thank you to Robert (a.k.a Midlife) for a fuseable link wire. Mine burned out years ago and will now be properly replaced.

P1010372.JPG

P1010373.JPG

P1010380.JPG

Installation crew:

Left to Right: Friends Dale, Rick (aka Mustang guru to me) he is my go to guy on mustangs, Daughters boyfriend Tanner, and me

P1010379.JPG

Congrats Brian,

Looks nice in the car and your getting real close. Did you end up putting the engine/trans in separately or as one unit? I will be following how you plumb all the vacuum hoses.

Jeff

Ended up placing them in bolted together. With that many helpers it went real well. With the weight of that FMX on the back of the motor it had just about the right tilt to get most of the way into the trans tunnel. Ugh, vaccum lines. I will keep you posted. Going to get the dash from the painter today $100 to get it all painted was not a bad deal in my mind. He is a mustang guy as well so he will pay close attention to the right charcoal color for me.

Janaury 5th was the mustangs 42nd birthday. I could not think of any better way to celebrate her birthday than to have a running motor in it for the first time in 13 years. It has been a long road since she was last driven in 1999 and blew out the rear defroster glass. As this thread has shown in 2009 the rebirth began. Today was a big milestone in that process. A running and breathing month correct date code engine running in the body. Here is the story behind the engine side of this restoration.

When I received the car in High School it was all original and rusty. The stock H-Code 351 2V was in place. I revived it enough to the point of running, but the engine was really tired a sludged up. I located a freshly rebuilt 4V for the price of what it would cost to rebuild the original motor and being a kid jumped at the opportunity to drop in a 4V. The old 2V went into the shed at my parents house to be saved for future needs. While in college Dad's job transferred him to Indiana and the house had to be sold. Well, I was in college and didn't have any storage at the time so I think you can see where this is going. I called a buddy up who was into mustangs and told him to bring his trailer and a hoist as we had to clean out the shed. An original K-Code motor (cracked) a 302 and my Cleveland were loaded on the trailer with various transmissions and rear ends and off they went never to be seen again. I wished I would have at least saved the engine metal tag. About 15 years ago my Dad stopped by the guys house on the slim chance he may still have the motor or know of it whereabouts. No Luck. I then began the search for as close of a correct date motor as mine. I stumbled across a Craigslist add out of Atlanta with a complete 72 motor top to bottom original. I purchased the motor for $300 and brought it home. It has been rebuilt bone stock as a 72 351 Cleveland 2V would have rolled off the assembly line. No cam changes or power adders. An interesting benefit is that when I purchased the engine the date stamp on the engine is "1" -1971, "K" - November, "15" - 15th production day. While assembling with some parts from my original engine the flex plate was stamped 11-21-71. My original flex plate was 6 days in production after this engine. I would say that is a pretty good match. The engine was machined .020 over for a good freshening up and tolerences for good cooling. Heads were freshened up and all new valve guides and seats. A close friend helped with the assembly and is a master with ford engines. Without his knowledge and experetise this project would be even more years in the making.

Well, on 01/05/2014 at approximatly 11:45 am, she fired again. It was great to hear that open exhaust at the Y-Pipe rumbling. We had a good solid breakin run on the valve train and reset all of the timing and she started right back up. A couple more items to be checked off like a rebuild of the date correct distributor and some purchases from Marti Autoworks of belts, regulator, solenoid and we should be complete in the engine bay.

Engine start1.jpg

Engine start2.jpg

Engine start3.jpg

Engine start4.jpg

That sounds really good. Noticed that you had 4 fire extinguishers handy :)

-jbojo
Yeah, a little too prepared. My daughter took the video for me and I think she just wanted to show that to give me a hard time later on. I also moved the 67 to the other garage and moved the lawn mower out into the rain. Thankfully, all went well and the mower came in from the rain. :)

Well, got a few photos from Mustang Central today. He has the quarters all reworked from the previous incorrect install and the replacement doors and original hood stripped to bare metal. Just a couple of photos to share with the mustang family.
way cool..

Latest posts

Back