72- Medium Lime Metallic - resurrection

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is what it should have looked like in 72. I spent this past Saturday running back and forth to the exhaust shop gettng the intermediate pipe tacked to the muffler and the muffler tacked to the tailpipe. About 3 years ago I located a brand new OE 72 muffler that a guy cut off of his new mustang to put on a cherry bomb. They put it up and the shed and forgot about it until just a few years ago. Inclusive of a couple of dents, which are not uncommon in a new factory installed muffler it was in great rust free condition. I test fit the muffler marked a couple of reference marks and dropped the rear axle out to remove the system and then drive the 30 minutes each way to my muffler guy. After 3 trips back and forth to tweak a little here and a little there ( 3 hours of driving alone and 3 times installing and removing the rear the axle) it was final welded and installed. I am happy with the way it turned out and look forward to hearing the exhaust note just the same way it woud have been in 1972 at the next start up.

$(KGrHqZ,!p!F!Q,NZB06BQUzyGHe1g~~60_12.jpg

P1010404.JPG

P1010405.JPG

P1010407.JPG

P1010410.JPG

I still need to turn my attention to the interior. Other than the dash and the headliner the interior is not touched. I hope it can go pretty quick as I have a deadline of mid-March to allow me some testing and tweaking befor Charlotte.

Couple of brief update photo's. Pretty much every night is being spent in the garage now. Fiddly bits here fiddly bits there. I have not even started the interior install yet beyond the complete dash. Time is getting short and I am feeling the pressure now. I think I am still going to be fine, just need to keep focus. The good thing is that I think I have all of the interior parts and pieces to make it a relatively quick install. The carpet has been sitting in the house all layed out so it can relax back to the molded form. Seat covers (oh the seat covers) will be installed on the seats later this month. Here are just a couple of pictures.

Delivery yesterday. Got a good deal from Summit on these Coker tires.

P1010415.JPG

Detailed driveshaft ready to go in:

P1010417.JPG

P1010418.JPG

P1010419.JPG

The hauler is booked to pick-up the car on 04/14/14. I still need to do a run through on the 67 for the 612 mile drive to Charlotte. That will be the furthest I have ever driven it. Need to check all of the nuts and bolts and fluids.

Brian

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, you concourse guys are a special kind of crazy. :D

Lookin' great, Brutha! Can't wait to see more, and hope it goes smoothly.

Well, after Spring Break with the family a couple of weeks ago the race is on to get it done. It was a long weekend, but I think I can see the end in sight. The interior for the most part is in. Here are a few pictures to share. The biggest hurdle was the folding rear seat. The metal shop installed the latch bracket 1 inch to far back on the inner wheel housing. With a lot of care I was able to cut the welds holding it on and get it repositioned and welded back in place last week. Once that was accomplished things really took off.

Please excuse some of the dusty handprints and dust spots on the lens of the camera. These were taken VERY late at night and a cleanup is scheduled for this week.

P1010453.JPG

P1010455.JPG

P1010471.JPG

P1010458.JPG

P1010462.JPG

P1010463.JPG

P1010465.JPG

P1010470.JPG

P1010475.JPG

P1010478.JPG

Oh my. This is coming along beautifully.

VERY nice work, Brian. ::thumb::

Awesome work what made you go with 4F? From the original pictures the car striped it looks like it started out yellow? Still trying to buy back my first Mustang it was 4F car (now red). I always called it a color only a mother could love, looks great on your car, I will have a 4F again, soon.

4f was the original color. Car was green when I bought it back in the 80 in WI and painted it Ford Bright Red to get me through High School. I always knew I would get it back to original someday and that day is fast approaching.

First day in the sunshine in quite a while. Well I made it to the alignment shop. Before leaving I was able to get a few pictures snapped out in the sunshine. I must admit when I first bought this car back in the early 80's the paint was nowhere this shinny, but I am very happy with now. The alignment went well and we got her back home for some of the finishing touches. I am going to get a final buff on the paint next week just to make sure we are show car ready. I am really getting pumped on rounding the corner and seeing the 50th in 2 weeks. Here are some photo's in the sun. Hope you all enjoy them as much as I did. It is great to feel 15 again even though I am a bit rounder now. Just a funny comment to add. I never recall my head hitting the headliner when sitting in the car as a kid. I guess the new seat foam did the trick. I will need to make sure the headliner stays clean though or doesn't make my bald spot any bigger? :)

0405145.jpg

0405146.jpg

0405148.jpg

04051402.jpg

04051403.jpg

Back