73 mustang gas cap not fitting over honeycomb trim

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The reason I'm so familiar with it is because I just had to reconfigure mine this past weekend: some bonehead (OK - it was me rofl ) stuffed the filler neck in from the inside of the trunk, and not the outside - the plain-Jane cap had issues fitting properly (Gee... wonder why). Had to drop the tank to get the filler neck un-wedged out of there, re-hang the tank, and put it all back together properly. Now the plain-Jane cap actually fits like it's supposed to, without having the extra thickness of the tail light panel to contend with.
Is that to say the filler neck flange is supposed to sit on the outside of the taillight panel, not the inside?

-Kurt

The reason I'm so familiar with it is because I just had to reconfigure mine this past weekend: some bonehead (OK - it was me rofl ) stuffed the filler neck in from the inside of the trunk, and not the outside - the plain-Jane cap had issues fitting properly (Gee... wonder why). Had to drop the tank to get the filler neck un-wedged out of there, re-hang the tank, and put it all back together properly. Now the plain-Jane cap actually fits like it's supposed to, without having the extra thickness of the tail light panel to contend with.
Is that to say the filler neck flange is supposed to sit on the outside of the taillight panel, not the inside?

-Kurt
Yup. I haven't consulted the 'Body Assembly Manual' yet, but when I was struggling trying to get the cap on, Auron mentioned that his was mounted from the outside of the taillight panel and has a cork gasket between the backside of the flange and the taillight panel itself.

So, I pulled mine all apart and now the cap works better.

Found out the problem someone mislabled the 69-70m cap fpr a 71-73, sending it back to the person i bought it from..

Yup. I haven't consulted the 'Body Assembly Manual' yet, but when I was struggling trying to get the cap on, Auron mentioned that his was mounted from the outside of the taillight panel and has a cork gasket between the backside of the flange and the taillight panel itself.

So, I pulled mine all apart and now the cap works better.
Interesting. The dealer who put the last taillight panel on my car thought otherwise. Go figure :rolleyes:

-Kurt

I just purchased an original gas cap off Ebay and it doesn't fit. I have a 73 vert with honeycomb panel.

Back