92 GTS-Rs Project Thread

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had somehow missed your thread. WOW what a mess someone made for you to undo. I have a pretty long thread with lots of info on things you are doing to your car. It was done in early 2019. 

On your roof rails I would never use the foam tape the factory used. I ordered my car new and the day I picked it up it rained and I had 2" of water in the rear floor from roof rail leaking. The foam toam tape was just an easy way for them to throw them together. I use the 3-M strip calk it will conform to the steps and imperfections in the surface of the roof. The large rectangle holes that the locator tabs on the trim fit in is where mine was leaking. I did polish my trim and if you have never done you need to strip the anodize off with oven cleaner. I see you are trying to repair yours that will be tough without a TIG welder and someone that is skilled. It would also be tough to ship you one due to the shape and length of the trim. I will go see if I can find a link to my post and send to you. 

To seal between the roof side and the trim I used a non hardening strip calk you can get at a home supply the 3-M would also work there. My car had a vinyl roof which makes it even more difficult to seal.

Keep up the work I am sure you can do it.

Here is link to my clean up of my 73 Mach 1 last year. https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-have-started-the-long-job-of-cleaning-the-73-mach-1

how to get a picture url

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks David, I have just got a box of that 3M Black strip caulk, I did read your post on the roof rails.

The caulking that seems to be on the roof rails is light grey / white (like the caulking you show in the picture above from MD Products)

Question, Should I also be looking to get the white caulking too, or just use the 3M black caulking through the whole job?

That MD Products caulking available at Home Depot for just $5.49

I just looked on Amazon UK, they are selling it for £48.21 + £8.66 delivery! Total £57.87 So in US Dollars that's $72.35 Bargin!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Products-90ft-Replaceable-Weatherstrip-71548/dp/B000CSN69C

Got a bit more work done on the car yesterday,

Cur to size the Rear LHS replacement floor pan and cleaned up the area in prep to get welding done.  also found a few more holes so cut out the area requiring sheet metal

$20, repo panel from NPD

49875691396_06e9a0247b.jpg

Cleaning up the cut out area and CAREFULLY grinding off spot welds on the rocker.  That Pipe is the main fuel line!
49875694261_0268204c0f.jpg

49875692956_938f2d598a.jpg

Happy with the fit :)

49875173293_f29ddf856d.jpg

You can see the letterbox section cut out which contained more rust holes

49875705501_e50dced79b.jpg

49875681821_054fcd27f0.jpg

I'm not sure how to cut out the front pan sections of the car yet?  But I dont have the replacement sheet metal.

Other jobs I have been doing is more trim repairing....

Before....

49793933616_baa83c91c3.jpg

After....

49875167363_320291d162.jpg

49876008387_b6f4d0e980.jpg

Just needs stripping and repolishing now,  But that's another piece on the car saved.

Interior Instrument lense

Now this job has taken hours!  There is a shadow in the clear plastic I can't shift, but overall this is much better.

Before....... they were Very Yellow and scratched

Wet & and Dry paper sanded back both sides to remove deep scratches.

Then used a Dremel with a small buffing wheel and Meguiars Plastix polish.

49875169613_bd35e63a97.jpg

Getting there.....

49875169053_00e0e3c56f.jpg

This job really does take hours, I still have to polish the small centre lense but you can see the progress. :)

49875703576_6a2cf0355e.jpg

Nice work!  This is coming right along! ::thumb::

The trick with the 3M Panel Adhesive for the 'dog dish air hat' is genius.  I 'glued on' my passenger side quarter panel skin with the stuff, and it was awesome.  You might even save yourself some welding and go that route with the floor pans and cowl repair as well.

The instrument cluster 'glass' turned out awesome as well.   ::thumb::

Nice work!  This is coming right along! ::thumb::

The trick with the 3M Panel Adhesive for the 'dog dish air hat' is genius.  I 'glued on' my passenger side quarter panel skin with the stuff, and it was awesome.  You might even save yourself some welding and go that route with the floor pans and cowl repair as well.

The instrument cluster 'glass' turned out awesome as well.   ::thumb::
Thanks, 

I consider the floor pans to be structural, particularly where they were spot welded to the rocker and chassis rails, so there is no way I will cut corners on that!

Nothing wrong with that.  ::thumb::

You'd be surprised how strong the 3M Panel Adhesive joints are, though.  One test video I saw online had the metal ripping before the joint would give up.  Just a new option to consider.  Keep it coming - you're doing awesome work!

Well work on the car has sadly ground to a halt at the moment, I'm stuck trying to find someone to help me do some welding on the car.

Power steering pump is in bits as I ordered the wrong pump shaft.

Still need a replacement roof drip rail. (so cant assemble anything back until I find one of those).

Need new left and right front floor pans.

Found one of the power steering lines rubber outer sheath is split,

Drivers door has taken a big hit. I managed to find a replacement door on ebay but the seller did not show the true state of the door! I paid the equivalent of $203 Dollars for this piece of junk that turned up this morning.

Needless to say I have started a return via ebay, but I have to pay shipping :(

I can't see any light at the end of the tunnel with this car at the moment and just do not have capital to keep throwing good money after bad.

Sorry Guys....Bad day :(

Sorry reading about that door mate, it sucks when you get screwed over like that :-(
Yes it sucks, I also got screwed buying the car, there really are so many things wrong with it in almost every direction I look.

I had no idea the car was so bad.

Biggest problem I have now is this Lockdown,

I used to get parts shipped to my friends home and he would bring things over to the UK for me.  But getting estimated quotes on having items sent to the UK from USA

Is just not possible for me, the shipping and duty is a real joke! 

I have had the car now since September 2019 Driven it no more than 3 times and now its a pile of scrap on the front drive.

So just a small update.....

I have ordered the front Left and right floor pans with the correct shaping for the 71 stang.

Also ordered new black carpet from Rock Auto,  Essex grade with Mass backing.

Ordered a Billet power steering pump bracket and Pulley.

I started another thread on my Power steering pump but parts have also been ordered to repair that.

Also ordered new roof drip rails.

All parts are being shipped to California, they will then go into a container and be shipped to the UK in a consolidated shipment.

It's going to be several weeks before I get the parts, I will still have to pay extra shipping and duty etc on the parts but it was the cheapest way I could find to get the parts to the UK. The parts are sharing the container with another car being exported to the UK  

Cheers

stay safe everyone.

Just jumped on and read through your project. Sorry to hear about the seller conveniently missing so many details about the car. But looks like its in good hands and that your well on your way to bringing it back to where it needs to be. 

Just jumped on and read through your project. Sorry to hear about the seller conveniently missing so many details about the car. But looks like its in good hands and that your well on your way to bringing it back to where it needs to be. 
Thanks,  I will get there, I just want the car to be structurally safe so i can drive it down the road with confidence.  There's a lot of bondo in various places around the car but I want to get the floors done and seal all that up before I go tackling anything else.

Found out my car has Hooker Headers. :) 

Another Small update,

Well I finally got my replacement front floor pans, I have also found a welder and all being well the car should be being picked up tomorrow (10/16/20) and taken to him.I visited the workshop prior to getting the car delivered  and the work seem ok.  It's not likely to be Butt welded using Tig welding, I believe they plan to do a small overlap and use a Mig Welder.  But the price quoted seems fair,I have told the guy to call me at every stage so I can inspect the work.   I'm not taking any chances this time!

IMG-20201007-WA0032.jpeg

IMG-20200925-WA0001.jpeg

IMG-20200925-WA0003.jpeg

Back