92 GTS-Rs Project Thread

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So yet again, this car is testing my patience.

Recovery truck turned up today, could not get the car onto the truck  :classic_sad:

Turns out we need a truck with a sliding flat bed, so have had to reschedule the pick up  :classic_rolleyes:

Hi, I don't plan on "fully" repainting the car, but I will make good areas with a rattle can.
My dear, dear friend and awesome forum member ... there may be an alternative to Halfords rattle can. 

You look at yer Marti to see what original colour was... 

1. Get yours driveable without the detailing and chrome capping 
  2. I get me guns and compressor out ...(no rude comments) 
  3. Get it at my place 
  4. I stick mine under a tarp 
  5. I wrap the interior of my garage in 3M 1.2mtr wide polyurethane sheet 
  6. Mask your glass and other bits 
  7. Put your car in
  8. Block the body flat 
  9. Tak wrag the thing to death 
  10. Bring internal temp to 40°C - bake car for an hour
  11. Undercoat anti-rust followed by  1st base, then 2nd base, then colour( mixed with medium speed drying media so it flattens )...
  12. Correct any mistakes 
  13. Clear coat 
  14. then send you home with a st00pid grin on yer face  :biggrin:

...one has to have a dream 

all the best 

Al 

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know what it is about this car but........after the tow truck issue (car was supposed to be collected Last Friday) Today the welder contacted me and asked if he could come over to actually see the car.

(Now bear in mind I had sent him detailed pictures of the required works via "What's App", had visited his workshop and talked face to face and again showed him work that needed to be done) and was given a price.

Today he has looked at the car and has decided there is more work than he thought!

:classic_angry: :classic_angry: :classic_angry: :classic_angry:    :classic_angry: :classic_angry:

He's going to come back to me with a new price!   Yeah right.

IM SERIOUSLY PISSED

I don't know what it is about this car but........after the tow truck issue (car was supposed to be collected Last Friday) Today the welder contacted me and asked if he could come over to actually see the car.

(Now bear in mind I had sent him detailed pictures of the required works via "What's App", had visited his workshop and talked face to face and again showed him work that needed to be done) and was given a price.

Today he has looked at the car and has decided there is more work than he thought!

:classic_angry: :classic_angry: :classic_angry: :classic_angry:    :classic_angry: :classic_angry:

He's going to come back to me with a new price!   Yeah right.

IM SERIOUSLY PISSED
Sounds like he found an easier job that pays more money. I would move on if its already started off that bad. It will only get worse as time goes on from what I have seen.

Not standing up for anyone. You should never quote a repair job, buy a car or sell a car using pictures. I have personally inspected cars that were sold by some of the big shiny car showrooms and they were junk with bondo and undercoat hiding everything. Pictures did not show anything. The owner lost $23,000 was a parts car not even worth fixing. 
AGAIN YOU SHOULD NEVER BUY A CAR OR QUOTE A JOB FROM PICTURES SOMEONE WILL GET BITTEN.

The money you save by doing it yourself will pay for the new mig welder.  I recommend getting a 220volt machine and not the the 120volt.  The 120 will work for sheetmetal but the 220volt machines just plain weld better.  

The money you save by doing it yourself will pay for the new mig welder.  I recommend getting a 220volt machine and not the the 120volt.  The 120 will work for sheetmetal but the 220volt machines just plain weld better.  
The UK is 240 volt, 15 amp power sockets and 5 amp lighting.......unless it's changed since I left in 73

I am now going to do it myself.  I have no experience what so ever but it can't be that hard.

I'm going to pay for a 1 day mig welding course and go from there.
Probably the best thing - the quality of work is under your control.,  and you can carry the knowledge on for other things

The toughest thing is managing the equipment and the hot works environment making sure you're not setting fire to yourself, the car or your workshop 
Get covered up with reinforced kevlar welding gauntlets and a heavy apron so any spit-back isn't going to come into contact with your skin 

To back up being safe on the welding and possible fire. I have fire extinguishers in several places and I keep two 5 gallon buckets of water in my work room. If something or you catch on fire a 5 gallon bucket can cool off a lot. The work room has some paper on the walls for decoration but behind that is 1/2" thick drywall. There is a fire break inside the wall of the room. I keep a hose hooked up to frost proof faucet also. Can never be too safe and too late to go looking for water once a fire starts.
I never leave shop towels inside that were used. That is part of my shutdown ritual is to take all shop towels used outside and turn my compressor off at the breaker. Had a contact stick one time and the compressor did not stop blew the safety pop off. 
Some insurance companies have waivers that they do not pay if you are welding or have a vehicle with gas insid. 

Actually I now know anybody should buy a welder and learn to use it before buying an old car. There is ALWAYS something to weld!

Not body related perse. Last in date was the power windows glass stops on my 73 that would slip just for a missing 3 or 4 mm in length ending up with the lock in the plastic round thingy preventing the glass to go up or down. Bzzz Bzzz, fixed in the next 30 minutes..
If you're depending on shops for a car that needs attention it can cost you a fortune and you will quickly see that paying a "pro" isn't always synonym of quality work...

Wait wait that's not all all, this hobby is great! Next to welding you will learn good'ol v8 mechanic, electrics, bodywork, painting just to name a few disciplines!

We all started there! I'd say take one thing at a time and fix it the best you can. Do not take shortcuts on methods or materials because 10 years and likely less from now, you will redo these!

You will also make lots of friends in the hobby (as seen above). You will get there if you want to! Good luck!

Back