92 GTS-Rs Project Thread

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DW772 is the number assigned to the windscreen by the auto glass industry. You'll want to refer to that, as many place have difficulty with the coupe/fastback distinction, since they are both coupes by definition.

DW773 is the glass for 71-73 coupe & convertible

Oh Yea,

Surfing around on the Net I found the Original advert of the Guys selling my car in the USA

https://www.affordableclassicssandiego.com/1971-ford-mustang-fastback-c-12538.htm

Anyone know this car?

According to the Advert it has a 9" rear diff upgrade?  What does that mean?  I do know if I try to spin the wheels on the car only one side spins, So it's not a LSD (unless that's broke too)!.
Have you purchased Marti Report to see where this car was sold new at? With the amount of rust in the floors I would expect this car spent time in the Midwest USA. Most California cars have a lot less rust.
Not sure where one would get a Marti Report?  How much do they cost? Is there a link somewhere?

So the car went in for its first stage of welding almost 2 weeks ago.  Its having a new front crossmember fitted (supplied by me) and a rear quarter floor pan (also supplied by me), So I have been chasing up the guy  :shootself:

I made contact with him today to find out  he has stripped the front end but the car has now sprung another fuel leak  :mad:

This time its the rubber fuel pipe from the sender unit to the metal fuel line (3/8th pipe).

So as a result he has not done any welding due to the leak! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:   I can't even begin to tell you how cross I am, added to this, we are in Lockdown due to the bloody Chinese eating anything that moves and contaminating the rest of the world :mad:

So tomorrow I have got to get a replacement piece of fuel pipe!  Turns out the pipe has been replaced before and the rubber pipe fitted WAS NOT FUEL GRADE! :shootself:

Not a good time at the moment :(

Last edited by a moderator:
So the car went in for its first stage of welding almost 2 weeks ago.  Its having a new front crossmember fitted (supplied by me) and a rear quarter floor pan (also supplied by me), So I have been chasing up the guy  :shootself:

I made contact with him today to find out  he has stripped the front end but the car has now sprung another fuel leak  :mad:

This time its the rubber fuel pipe from the sender unit to the metal fuel line (3/8th pipe).

So as a result he has not done any welding due to the leak! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:   I can't even begin to tell you how cross I am, added to this, we are in Lockdown due to the bloody Chinese eating anything that moves and contaminating the rest of the world :mad:

So tomorrow I have got to get a replacement piece of fuel pipe!  Turns out the pipe has been replaced before and the rubber pipe fitted WAS NOT FUEL GRADE! :shootself:

Not a good time at the moment :(
Dammit ... I wish I was there to help :-/

WTF ! ! !...if welding at front (tank is at back) ... I'm surprised he didn't drain the fuel off and use one of his nitrogen BOC tanks (welders have these) to purge the system of excess fuel and vapour.... car is made safe.... get on and weld. ...arrrgh ....how hard can it be?  :-/  aarrrGGHHH! ! ! !

The front big bushings in the front crossmember-- I actually have a new set I bought for my "replace everything made of rubber" day ... I was going to replace mine - but I've found there is no need 

PM me if I can help -- I have all sorts of bits.

I'm near Coventry - when the earth starts spinning again we should meet up.

Good to see you are trying to correct the botch jobs that were done by some moron who shouldn't be touching cars. So many problems with the car are just idiot "repairs" which is pretty upsetting. When I got my car I took it to a mechanic on some terrible advice and he ended up cutting into my wire harness and botching my whole ignition system. He had it for 6 months but thank god for the members of this forum, who helped me get the harness totally rebuilt. I towed it home and bought a spark test light and found the distributor was bad in 10 minutes. I never have gone to a mechanic since, they don't know what they're doing around here, especially on classics.

Well work has finally started on the front end of the car Strut arms being removed ready for the cutting out of the old crossmember.

49742221971_d6ed121c9e_c.jpg

49742221986_197fa1be0f_c.jpg

I have been going through some of the paperwork on my car and found that the car has some upgrades.

Lower control arms have been replaced and the front struts are not stock.

49742226881_711a5f4be6_c.jpg

49742550427_c62ee1a6be_c.jpg

Replaced the short length of leaking fuel pipe, Have to ay it seems very close to the exhaust pipe. is this correct or do I need to modify the configuration ?

49742222056_268ce0a346_c.jpg

49742545252_d313c68b57_c.jpg

Hi, I'm only just now reading this thread. Wow what a mess, but it seems you are up on it and doing it correctly. 

As for the fuel rubber hoses, buy Fuel Injector grade hose as it is ethanol proof (on the inside) and please, please replace those damn gear clamps with the correct fuel line clamps, either spring, crimp or compression type. Here are a couple of pics of what I mean, also my tank sender unit rubber hose. Another thing I'd do later is replace the old fuel line with 3/8" stainless. Last is a pic of what it might look like inside, rust.

Spring type clamp to SS line. I added a rubber sleeve to stop vibration.

This what I mean by a compression type clamp on the pump fuel line to carb.

This a good part. it was almost rusted through in other places.

Thanks, it looks like there is a clip with a hex screw holding your main 3/8 metal fuel line to the chassis, When I get the car back  I Intend to  replace the whole fuel line.

I can't recall weather that clip is there or not?

Thank you StangLover for the extra pics  :coolphotos: 100% I will be replacing the fuel lines.

This is also another reason it requires replacement! 

:shootself:
 Holy F*** Bat Man!! Sorry to say the seller of that car really misrepresented it. I'm sure you'll get it back to where it should be in due time. We're all here to help, just ask if you need anything..... except money!

Wow.  Hang in there!  Be prepared to find more issues hiding in the likely places, as it seems like whomever "restored" this car did so only for the purpose of turning a quick buck.  It seems like you have indeed gotten screwed by a car flipper who misrepresented the car.  Don't get discouraged when something else pops up just when you thought you'd gotten everything.  Once you finally get everything back to good, however, you'll have even more appreciation for it knowing that you've gone behind some idiot and made things right again.

You're doing awesome!  You've also come to the right place for information and encouragement!

Just for a quick second to go off topic (and not directed at you): THIS is exactly why we point out issues with cars we see for sale.  THIS is exactly why we tell potential buyers to check for this or that and don't pay too much if things aren't right.  And finally, THIS is exactly why I hate car flippers.

Thank you all for the encouragement , You are dead right that I walked into this car blindfolded thinking it was an honest seller. And Yes I got burned.

I will do the best I can when cash allows. But I will not knowingly cut corners.

Mark.

Wow.  Hang in there!  Be prepared to find more issues hiding in the likely places, as it seems like whomever "restored" this car did so only for the purpose of turning a quick buck.  It seems like you have indeed gotten screwed by a car flipper who misrepresented the car.  Don't get discouraged when something else pops up just when you thought you'd gotten everything.  Once you finally get everything back to good, however, you'll have even more appreciation for it knowing that you've gone behind some idiot and made things right again.

You're doing awesome!  You've also come to the right place for information and encouragement!

Just for a quick second to go off topic (and not directed at you): THIS is exactly why we point out issues with cars we see for sale.  THIS is exactly why we tell potential buyers to check for this or that and don't pay too much if things aren't right.  And finally, THIS is exactly why I hate car flippers.
Well said. Right on point.

Thank you all for the encouragement , You are dead right that I walked into this car blindfolded thinking it was an honest seller.  And Yes I got burned.

I will do the best I can when cash allows.  But I will not knowingly cut corners.

Mark.
 I'm no expert on anything. I pay attention to what our fellow members have advised and learned a lot in the process. Sometimes I even pick up on points that get missed. Case in point, if the floors are really bad, then carefully check the rockers (sills) They can be bad but don't look it. If not too late, would it not be better to replace to whole floor with a 1 piece part, but that takes real knowledge so as not to twist he body.

It really sucks that you got burned on this one, but I (we) applaud you for sticking with it. Just wait till you get to drive it!!

Geoff. (yes it is the UK spelling)

Back