AAAHHH it never ends

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 mustang fastback,{mine} 74 Chevy Nova {girlfriends car}
2001 Sunfire that is falling apart haha.
So took the car to be aligned and the steering coupler /rag joint is done for.:mad: So now got to order the part before I get it back on the road.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a brand new one I bought and didnt use sittin on my workbench but it would probably be a lot quicker and cheaper for you to order it locally!

I had one heck of a time getting the right one from my local knucklehead parts places. Autozone and advanced auto both ordered the wrong one twice then told me they couldnt get the one i needed! I ended up getting a NOS one on ebay for 75 bucks. Good luck with your search.

My 91 Cadillac has a rag joint.

Does anyone know why there are at least 2 rag joints for our cars? What is the difference?

I don't think we need the metal.

Replaced the joint in my...literally held together by a thread. Really made a nice difference in the steering. Wonder whose great idea this was...and it actually is a great idea.

Does anyone know why there are at least 2 rag joints for our cars? What is the difference?

Replaced the joint in my...literally held together by a thread. Really made a nice difference in the steering. Wonder whose great idea this was...and it actually is a great idea.
I believe the difference is for power steering and no power steering.

I believe the metal is there in case the material does give out the metal piece will act as a bachup and hit each other to still be able to turn the car!

Maybe we can get Q to remove the rag joint from his Camaro and see if the postulate that the metal is sufficient is true or false...

I had one heck of a time getting the right one from my local knucklehead parts places. Autozone and advanced auto both ordered the wrong one twice then told me they couldnt get the one i needed! I ended up getting a NOS one on ebay for 75 bucks. Good luck with your search.
Should have called Don at OMS! We've already had that discussion.

As far as why there are 2. The only difference I saw was one said one is a 31 spline and the other a 36. that's the difference. I guess it depends on steering column. Maybe the tilt and non tilt?

Back