Any one sick of winter yet?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well Guys,

I live in Virginia Beach, Virginia, and we are about to get around 12 inches over night. That is the most snow since Christmas Day 2010. I don't like the snow that much. And with the way people in this area drive in the snow, I am staying home until it clears up. At least growing up in Ohio, people knew how to drive in the snow.

Kerry
Kerry,

Where from in Ohio?

This is the worst winter ever. We set a new record for snow in the Detroit area for January. Where up to 33 inches of snow for the month and it not over yet. I work for a school district and we have closed 6 times already. I run the maintenance department and we have not been sleeping much because of snow plowing and fixing pipes that have burst because of the cold weather. It can't end fast enough. :mad:

This morning it was 4 degrees here in Kennesaw Ga, Colder than Chicago, and other places up North, thats just wrong!

Not to mention I got stuck 9hrs in that mess you all heard about in Atlanta Tuesday nite!

Where now up to 38 inches of snow in the Detroit area for the month. A new record and it snowing agian. We are going to get 3 to 6 inches more on Saturday. I can't stand the snow anymore. :mad:

John J

Don't hate me... but it's currently 82 (coming down from 84) in San Angelo.

Tomorrow's supposed to be in the high 70s, and get cold again on Sunday (39-ish). Then back to 56 by Tuesday, and down to 37 on Thursday, then back to -mid-50s by Saturday.

After the fiasco here in Atlanta this week, I thought this was funny...

It took me 8 hours to go the last 10 mile home on Tuesday, Thankfully I grew up driving in snow and ice, but there are a lot of folks down here that have no clue. The '10 GT did awesome, but boy my clutch leg got a workout!

AtlSnow.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

It took me 8 hours to go the last 10 mile home on Tuesday, Thankfully I grew up driving in snow and ice, but there are a lot of folks down here that have no clue. The '10 GT did awesome, but boy my clutch leg got a workout!
That is a good one!

Folks that get a lot of snow learn how to deal with it. And they learn to drive on it when they have to. If it snows and the temps are so cold it comes down hard frozen (dry), it is not too tough to drive on. UNLESS the ground temps allow the accumulation to begin to melt before it refreezes!

In the more southern states - if sometimes comes down as freezing rain/ice and then accumulates and thaws and refreezes, the driving is almost impossible short of vehicles specially prepared for such conditions. Snow tires/studded tires and tire chains are all examples. Tracked vehicles are the upper end of this spectrum. 4-wheel drives are no match for gravity and ice. They slide just like the rest of them!

I used to show videos during winter safety briefings - here are some similar to those I used: The first one has some cussing - so if you are offended - please mute! The second one has music and is clean (I think). The third one is just to show it is not limited to only crazy Americans!! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXnIqxyyBNI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYUXg7uy1QY

Hope you all enjoy these videos and stay warm! Here in Oklahoma we are preparing for another blast of snow and ice end of next week!

Ray

The human side of the Atlanta event was great! I witnessed most everyone helping each other out, which is refreshing in this day!

Oh, and since we don't deal with it well here, just keep it up North where it belongs! ha ha

We got freezing rain, and 6 inches of snow on top of it and my girlfriend (from pittsburgh) was criticizing a couple of cars in the ditch. She said "people in the south don't know how to drive in winter"...that same day there was a 20 car pile, rollovers, and tons of accidents in PA on the news, I just looked at her and said "yeah we have a lot of learning to do" :D

Back