Anyone Recognize This Brake Line?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silverback

Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1
Everything I touch on this car is a mess...

So i was trying to figure out why I can't get the car in park and in the process of trying to get the car up high enough in the air to get to the linkage (on a sloped surface) I found that the back brakes don't work at all. Well while looking at the transmission linkage I ran across 2 brake lines (at least i'm fairly sure they're brake lines) running through the tunnel, one on top of the other, and one appears to be just cut with a piece of hose with a bolt stuck over it, it doesn't make it to the front of the car:

166b1cj.jpg

Looking at that it's hard to tell what you're looking at, the front of the car is to the left, the bracket hanging down is the shifter lever where the rod that goes to the arm on the transmission goes. The back thing with the bolt head sticking out in the middle is the hose where the tube is cut off.

Anyone know which line this is (like I said in another post, it was really cold and dark out, and I had to get the car back down on the ground, so it's not like I could really check it easily)?

Are replacements available from somewhere?

Last edited by a moderator:
Dont think its a brake line. If i remember right the vapor line for the charcoal canister on the firewall runs through there. i think it goes back to the tank. some else will knowfor sure , but thats what im thinking .

So as long as the tank is vented somewhere this shouldn't be a problem? Was it originally just an open vent or did it go the a charcoal cannister?

the canister which then plums to the air cleaner to draw the fuel vapor in upon start up if the legend holds true lol

The vent and main rear brake lines run down the hump. Your going to want to repair that vent line or it will cause fuel delivery to the carburator issues.

Right, which I already have (I think I have at least 2 carburetor threads from last summer/fall trying to get this thing running). My question was can I just leave it open/vented? seems like the only thing they're there for is to equalize pressure in the tank, and I believe that they just used an open vent line that dumped out somewhere under the car till the late 60's or early 70's

Right, which I already have (I think I have at least 2 carburetor threads from last summer/fall trying to get this thing running). My question was can I just leave it open/vented? seems like the only thing they're there for is to equalize pressure in the tank, and I believe that they just used an open vent line that dumped out somewhere under the car till the late 60's or early 70's
As long as the line is open. You may want to b low some air through it and listen at the tank.

Back